Blue Oyster Cult: new album - "The Symbol Remains" due 9th October 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by four sticks, Jul 10, 2019.

1. jjjos

jjjos Forum Resident

I literally just searched this thread just to make this point. I have been listening to this album fairly regularly on my drive to work, and my commute is about 25 minutes, so I get to work usually right when "The Machine" is starting. Which isn't a bad thing because it's one of a couple of songs that really should have been left off the record. But, being more familiar with the first half of the record, I thought "Box in my Head" was my favorite on this album, but the two Buck Dharma songs on the back half of this record (which, when played for my dad the observation was made that they sound like Tom Petty songs, which is fairly high praise) are shaping up to be my favorite. "Fight" is goofy but it's so interesting musically, at least to my ears.

I almost think that even "The Alchemist" is too by-the-numbers BÖC... it almost sounded like someone trying to write a parody of them. It's not bad... but it's not as much of a revelation as people are making it out to be. The Richie C̶u̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ Castellano songs (aside from "Edge of the World", which is 100% redeemed by Eric Bloom's devotion to the lyrics) don't really belong on here. They're not bad, but they're not BÖC. I actually like "Tainted Blood" alright, but it doesn't belong with "Box in My Head", which is a sublime pop song and totally fits with stuff like "Burnin' For You". When I first listened to the record, "It Was Me" made me take the bait, but "Box" sunk the hook. "Nightmare Epiphany", even with the unitelligible Buck Dharma lyrics is catchy enough (and again, fits perfectly with their earlier stuff) that it kept me listening.

I HATE "Stand and Fight", though.

2. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

The production is too slick on the Castellano songs, there’s nothing natural about them, and they’re quite 80’s sounding too. This is a decent album, but it could’ve been a little grittier sounding. I’m certain that the songs performed live will be better than this studio album.

Pouchkine, Echoes71 and slipkid like this.
  3. jjjos

jjjos Forum Resident

Agreed, and I know people have complained about his voice, but it really is a detriment to the songs, he sounds too earnest. Not that he's a bad singer, but a little more subtlety and nuance would be better.

4. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

It's interesting that you say that about "The Alchemist" as it is an opinion that I have started to come around to as well. When I listened to the album the first few times, Alchemist was one of the standout tunes just because it came closest to approximating the classic BOC sound circa Cultosaurus and Fire. However, as I have settled into the album, I've been less impressed with that song - like you said, it's just trying too hard to sound like BOC and it ends up sounding like a parody (as someone else put it, it sounds like BOC trying to sound like Ghost...who, of course, are trying to sound like BOC). Eric does a stellar job on the song, as he does on the whole album, but the material he is working with isn't quite as special as I first thought.

Buck's songs, on the other hand, have been real growers, especially the aforementioned "Secret Road" and "Fight". Even "Florida Man" - a song I initially was unsure about - is a tune that just worms its way into your brain. I've always been more inclined towards the hard rock Bloom songs on past BOC albums, but Buck's pop hooks are the real winners on this album.

The MEZ, HfxBob, Oyster Boy and 2 others like this.
  5. jjjos

jjjos Forum Resident

Oh yeah, “Florida Man” is great! That’s the one my dad said sounded like Tom Petty, especially in the chorus. I had initially had that thought as well. It’s a really cool song.

The lyrics on this album are pretty great, actually. “Box” made me laugh the first time I heard the chorus.

6. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

I am so happy about this album! It is pure BÖC, with a healthy dose of modern recording sounds and techniques thrown in. For instance, I love the guitar sound on Stand and Fight.
    Right now, though, I am all into Edge of the World. That middle 8 (at 2:50) is so good!

7. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

How many have received the coloured vinyl direct from Frontiers.
    On the basis that Amazon have been slow to have stock of this years BÖC reissues, I ordered from Frontiers. As I was doing that, I thought I might as well get a coloured vinyl from them.
    So my purple disc was shipped 16th and has been ready to depart Germany since the 17th October, with no movement since.

8. jjjos

jjjos Forum Resident

Had to pick up the 2LP set while it was still cheap. Was hoping that it'd be decent, but it sounds really kind of lousy. I'm pretty sure it's the same mastering as the CD and all four sides are pressed off-center. I did get the dark blue vinyl though.

9. ilistentoallkinds

ilistentoallkinds Forum Resident

After the USPS completely, utterly screwed up the delivery on my first order of this CD, apparently losing it in the mail, and Bull Moose (where I ordered it from) ran out of stock on it, I had to re-order it from a corporate ogre which I hate. Anyway, I've now had the disc for about three weeks, and I enjoy every song on it. Every single song, no exceptions and no apologies! It all "sounds like BOC" to me!

For the people who don't like "Tainted Blood," and who are saying that BOC has never before released such poppy, '80s AOR-sounding material, of course, we are all entitled to our tastes, in terms of what we like and dislike-- but what about "Eyes On Fire"?? That cut, from 1983's The Revolution By Night, sounds so much more poppy and '80s AOR "radio-ready" to me than "Tainted Blood," or anything else on this new album! "Eyes On Fire" could have been the opening song to a cheesy '80s action film from Cannon, hehe (and I enjoy those films)! I don't mind EOF too much, but it's not one of my BOC favorites, and compared to it, "Tainted Blood" sounds like a BOC classic to these ears (again, in comparison)!

The Symbol Remains is my favorite BOC album since (at least) Fire of Unknown Origin, maybe even since Spectres. I am, honestly, stunned that they have made an album of this high quality this late in their trajectory. Buck was so right to want to capture this incarnation of the band on an album before they bow out-- and, especially after having heard this album multiple times, I hope that they don't choose to end for a good while! I would love one more new album of original material to compliment this one, which, to me, is an unexpected classic from one of my favorite bands!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    The MEZ, HfxBob, Matthew Tate and 7 others like this.
  10. jjjos

jjjos Forum Resident

Here is the first track from the 2LP of TSR, no processing involved, straight from the USB DAC of my Audio Technica LP120XUSB into my Mac Pro, WAV format until sent to Final Cut. I couldn’t find my tripod mount for my phone so I tried to make it interesting. Ignore the video if you want.

I sampled a few other records before I passed judgement on this one, and I captured “Pop Life” from Prince and the Revolution and compared it to the digital Apple Music version and it sounded pretty much the same. The limited sound here is not my turntable nor my cart.

pmdclassics and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

I agree. It looks like Richie did a lot of heavy lifting to get this album released. Great job, Mr. C!

Just watched this great interview with Albert regarding his upcoming Re-Imaginos & he really spoke to Richie’s dedication to getting him involved in The Symbol Remains project. Towards the end of the interview, sounds like Albert wants the the old gang back together to work the last two acts of the Soft Doctrines Of Imaginos!

[/QUOTE]
    Did anyone get Albert’s album, Re-Imaginos?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. JackOfAllTrades

JackOfAllTrades It's only my opinion

Did anyone get Albert’s album, Re-Imaginos?[/QUOTE]

Yeah I got it. I was so looking forward to it but was totally disappointed. His voice is shot and it just feels like it was knocked out on the cheap. Those songs deserved far better and I really wish he had roped the old gang back in for this one.

vinyl diehard likes this.
  13. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

Did anyone get Albert’s album, Re-Imaginos?[/QUOTE]

I've had it since last Friday and I've listened to it at least 5 times. I think it's a fairly reputable, noble and solid re-visit and I enjoy most of the arrangements with a softer, more acoustic bend. "Gil Blanco County" is one that I've heard when they were "Stalk Forrest Group" through the "Elektra Recordings-St. Cecilia" sessions and I'm glad it's a part of the Imaginos story. "The Girl that Love Made Blind" is an interesting one as well when included within the track list. I definitely prefer this version of "Astronomy" as opposed to the one on "Imaginos", but the version from Secret Treaties will always be definitive.

"Siege and Investiture of Baron Frankenstein..." isn't as overblown as the '88 version and I think opener, "I Am the One You Warned Me Of" is a fine performance to start things off. "In the Presence of Another World", I do prefer the '88 version as well as "Les Invisibles", but the title track I quite like from the current release as well as "Blue Oyster Cult". I find it a bit intriguing that "Workshop of the Telescopes" is renamed "Black Telescope", but I'm assuming that it was the original title within reference to the story and theme, but it's also an interesting interpretation. All things considered, Albert's not getting any younger and I'm just thankful that his health allowed him to do this and as I'm also a big fan of his, I'm glad to own it. I think it's great that he, brother Joe and BOC have all been releasing new albums as of late and still remain active in music. Do I think "Re-Imaginos" is a huge improvement over the '88 version? I wouldn't say better, but it's certainly got a lot of continuity within the story and theme and the inclusion of material like "Gil Blanco County", "Girl that Love Made Blind" and "Black Telescope" fills in some of the gaps missing from the '88 version. I like them both and in time, I'll be able to truly say whether or not "Re-Imaginos" is better or worse than the original BOC pieced version.

For serious fans or at least fans of "Imaginos", I think it's worthwhile in checking out, but again, I have a bit of a bias since I'm an Al fan.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  14. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Nice post ;)

Out of curiosity, what was the last studio Cult album that you heard prior to getting this one?

15. Lonesurf

Lonesurf Forum Resident

Agree with SonicBob’s review.

I’ve been listening to Re-Imaginos for a few weeks now & it is an interesting take on the material. Does feel very homespun, but it works for me in an informal, storyteller kind of way.

Definitely nice to hear some of the other songs. Obviously a labor of love.

JackOfAllTrades and SonicBob like this.
  16. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

@Lonesurf : The homespun/storyteller quality is what makes it successful in my opinion. And the fact that it was originally Sandy Pearlman's vision with Albert as the creative resource brings to light the very concept of the piece itself. I think some still have the '88 release imbedded in the brain and rightfully so as it's existed far longer and has been examined and analyzed in as much time. But, like I stated earlier, I'm just glad that Albert's health allowed him to accomplish this task and ultimately, it's a tribute to the man that had a major hand in the formation, creative force and construction of the entity known as Blue Oyster Cult. And like you said, certainly a labor of love from Albert to his mentor, Sandy Pearlman.

17. ilistentoallkinds

Imaginos, from '88, is the last studio album that I heard prior to getting The Symbol Remains. I missed out on Heaven Forbid and Curse of the Hidden Mirror back when they were originally in print, because I only seriously got into BOC upon buying (and getting lost in for some time, in a very good way!!) the big box set a few years ago. I basically heard almost the band's entire recorded career within the space of a couple of months, and I think, partially for this reason, while I do love certain albums more than others, I don't have a particularly strong attachment to any one era of the band.

If pressed, upon pain of death, to choose, my absolute favorites would be the first three albums, but I also really love almost all of the later albums too. I enjoy most of the Mirrors songs in live performance a good bit better than the album tracks, but I still like most of the album. I'm even a confirmed, enthusiastic Revolution by Night and (just a bit less so) Club Ninja fan/defender, with the exception of one, maybe two, songs on each album. The Symbol Remains is so much better, though, to me, than those albums that it sounds, to these ears, like a genuine artistic rebirth, and a great one, for the band. I still need to buy and hear Heaven Forbid and Curse though. I will have to get the new reissues as imports, alas, as I live in the U.S., but I definitely intend to get them.

18. JackOfAllTrades

JackOfAllTrades It's only my opinion

I've just had another listen to it to see if was being too harsh. Not for me though, I'm afraid. Can't believe Sandy Pearlman's vision for these songs was this kinda campfire vibe based on his contribution to BOC over the years. But what do I know.

19. The MEZ

The MEZ Forum Resident

I really Loves this album. I no like "Stand and Fight" (gang vocal- chorus), just not my taste and I do not like "Tainted Blood". I could also takes or leaves the train song...Overall though such great, as I really like to Love all the other songs. Really digging this album. Exceed my expectation.

ilistentoallkinds likes this.
  20. Haggischomper

Haggischomper Scottish AF

To me, Re-Imaginos is both disappointing and interesting. Definitely a glorified demo vibe to it and Albert's vocals aren't always in the best shape but there are definitely some interesting ideas in here. Can't help but wonder what this would have sounded like as a full BÖC re-do (not that Eric would be interested) with Albert doing some of the vocals. Sadly, I don't think we'll ever get a fully-realised Imaginos.

21. ilistentoallkinds

I love "Edge of the World" and "Stand and Fight" too! As a massive fan of quality music of virtually all genres, I can honestly say that, until now, with The Symbol Remains, I don't know if I have ever heard a classic '70s hard rock band keep this much of its classic spirit, and its hard-rocking, but eclectic sound, with just enough of an "update," to avoid sounding like an artistic retread, on a newer album, released many years later.

For example, Aerosmith was an incredible hard rock band in the '70s, and I do like some of the '80s material too, but in my opinion, most of it is not even close to the '70s albums. Similarly, I love Van Halen's Roth-era albums so, so much, and the Hagar albums have some fine songs and performances too, but as with Aerosmith, for me, those later Van Halen albums are just not even close to the all-time great hard rock band that VH was with Roth on lead vocals, and as the host of the best party in town, to which we were all invited as faithful buyers of the albums and concert attendants! :)

As soon as BOC are able to safely get back to touring again, I truly hope that they include several songs from this new album in their live shows-- and even though I have a physical disability (Cerebral Palsy), and can't drive a car, and have to use a wheelchair for most of my getting around, I would crawl from my apartment to the nearest venue to catch a new BOC concert! I'm only half-joking about that too! I've never seen them live in concert, other than on Youtube and Blu-ray, and I absolutely love their live albums, and I have to see this band before they bow out or I leave this world, whichever comes first, and I seriously want to see and hear them play many of these great new songs live! :goodie:

In summation, to these ears, BOC has achieved something with this album that I didn't think any classic hard rock band could do at this point of its career-- which is, make a new album of almost entirely new and original material (had part of "St. Cecilia" been written much earlier? I'm not sure, but I think I heard something about that) which truly stands with its classic era!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  22. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

This is pretty much my take as well. The different arrangements were interesting and some worked pretty well, but Albert's vocals were pretty rough and tough to take at times. I can't imagine Buck and Eric have any interest in touching the album again, otherwise they would have by now, so this is probably it.

Oyster Boy and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Aha, that is why I asked.

It seems to me that many people that are (rightfully) singing the praises of this new album as if it is some completely unexpected return to form after a 50 year layoff have not heard either Heaven Forbid or Curse of the Hidden Mirror. Heaven Forbid is tremendous and Curse has a few good things on it although nowhere in the league of HF. This new one is good but also not in the league of HF either (for me anyways).

All you folks that are digging this new album really need to grab HF especially, and even Curse too. They are back in print and affordable although who knows for how long.

24. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I hope you get your wish and are able to see them live soon (post-covid). I saw them last year and they were great as always, although I felt that the drumming was the weak link. I've seen them many times over the years, different lineups including original, and they have never failed to deliver a great show. I actually prefer the later period shows over the original lineup btw, but that is because the later period shows have been mostly in small theaters and even tiny bars. Heck I saw them on New Years eve around 15-20 years ago in what was basically a bar/club and there could not have been more than 30-40 people there. That was a fun night, almost like having BÖC playing your private party.

25. ilistentoallkinds

It's amazing to me, and also sad, that only 30 to 40 people showed up for that BOC concert, even if it was in a small club/bar! I would happily pay as much as my budget (on disability) could afford, which is around $200, to see them live in person, even just once! I do have their three classic live albums and the recent live Blu-ray of them performing the entire first album and a few other classics. That concert is a rock and roll masterclass of a live, heavy-guitar-oriented, performance!