Blue Oyster Cult: new album - "The Symbol Remains" due 9th October 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by four sticks, Jul 10, 2019.

1. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yeah, I hear ya. I don't know why but they only re-released these overseas, not US domestic. Still much better prices than when they were OOP though. A couple months ago I saw them both for around $15-20 each but am not seeing that now. You might need to get them from someplace like ImportCDs but looking up Heaven Forbid there now it is out of stock/backordered (only $14.39 though) and they don't have a listing for Hidden Mirror anymore...

ilistentoallkinds likes this.
  2. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I never saw In Thee as a bonus track, but a live addition to the Heaven Forbid record. Granted, I was unfamiliar with the song at the time (I never bought Mirrors when I first got into the band in the mid 90's), so that could be why I see it that way, but to me it's a part of the album and a nice ending in the running order.

Oyster Boy, Matthew Tate and Thievius like this.
  3. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I was very familiar with the original and the live version on HF turned out to be my favorite version of the song.

4. George Co-Stanza

I like both, but having heard the live one first, I tend to tilt more towards that one as well.

Oyster Boy and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yeah I love the unplugged live version on HF. I do think it doesn't fit with the album proper and I consider it a bonus track, which is cool addition.

Oyster Boy and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Hey, I was looking up something else at Bullmoose just now and I checked out the BOC stuff, they supposedly have the new reissue of Heaven Forbid in stock via mail order at this link right now for $21.97!
    - Blue Öyster Cult - Heaven Forbid

I couldn't find Curse of the Hidden Mirror there though. I DO know that their search engine has bugs though. Earlier this year I searched for the recent reissue of Iron Maiden's Live After Death but what showed up was the older reissue and I bought that by mistake, not reading the "fine print" on the listing. I ended up returning that and said something like it was my fault, I didn't realize you weren't selling the new one and in response they sent me the link for the new one and discovered for themselves that the new one doesn't come up in the search like I said. Point is, who knows, maybe they have Hidden Mirror but it is not showing up, you'd have to ask them.

7. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I just noticed that this store I order in Denmark that I order Danish artists from has both Hidden Mirror and Heaven Forbid for sale on CD for $17.99 plus shipping.

Blue Oyster Cult · Curse of the Hidden Mirror (CD) [Remastered edition] (2020) · imusic.dk

Blue Oyster Cult · Heaven Forbid (CD) [Remastered edition] (2020) · imusic.dk

They don't say backordered or out of stock, but neither do they say "in stock", however they do say "expected to ship 5-7 workdays".

Wow, I'm glad I don't buy vinyl anymore. I didn't know this but there are LP releases for a lot of this new stuff - even for Cult Classic (2 LPs). I had no idea....

Pouchkine and ilistentoallkinds like this.
  8. serj

serj Forum Resident

Interesting, if Curse of the Hidden Mirror is in the jewel case, like the original edition? And what about sound?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

In a Jewel case and it sounds the same to me. I can’t find any remastering credit.

Matthew Tate, slipkid and serj like this.
  10. ilistentoallkinds

ilistentoallkinds Forum Resident

When I clicked the Bull Moose link that you provided, it said the same thing that it said when I looked it up yesterday, and on earlier days-- that this reissue is a "rare item," and that "we will try to get it for you." In other words, it's not in stock at Bull Moose. I guess that it could have been in stock for just a few hours and then sold completely out, but anytime that I have tried to look for the reissue at Bull Moose, the listing has said that it's not in stock and a "rare item."

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

Just finished listening to Curse of the Hidden Mirror earlier this morning and I'll be damned if it's not a tad better than I last remembered. The only somewhat weaker song is closer, "Good to Feel Hungry". I find the lyrics to be rather pedestrian, although musically, very adventurous and something different for the then current lineup. I wasn't really a fan of numbers like "Showtime", "Here Comes that Feeling" and "Out of the Darkness", but they are actually in step with the rest of the material offered and overall, I'd give the album a solid 3 out of 5 or a C+/B- rating. Favorites still remain "Pocket", "Dance on Stilts", "Eye of the Hurricane", "Stone of Love", "One Step Ahead of the Devil" and "The Old Gods Return".

I'll have to revisit Heaven Forbid later this evening after work, but I have a fondness for that album as I recall.

12. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Shirtsleeves, sorry, you're right. I did not notice that faded orange print underneath the BUY NOW button that says the rare item will try to get it for you etc disclaimer. I see it now that you mentioned it though. But it is very obvious if I click on the 3 editions starting at $5.97 button (up pops another window showing a used copy for $5.97 available in green, the original release saying shipping not available in dark & bolded red with Bangor out of stock, and the remaster with bolded orange shipping text saying that it is rare etc, dark enough that my eyes can see it easily....ugh...).

What is their policy on buying used stuff? If the used one is in great condition it's a steal for $6. If they let customers return used items at store expense if they are scratched or whatever it might be worth a punt!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2020
  13. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

I believe that Frontiers Records does not have the USA distribution rights for HF and CotHM; some other agency still does and is most likely playing hardball with Frontiers.

Matthew Tate, Pouchkine and slipkid like this.
  14. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

I would agree with your assessment of Hidden Mirror. I had the same reaction when I relistened a while back - it's charms are subtle, but they are there. I'm interested in your thoughts on Heaven Forbid. I know I'm in the minority here, but I'm not as fond of that album as other fans seem to be. The first half is quite strong, but then it kinda gets messy in its second half. I also think that the attempts to go for a Metallica feel on some of the more aggressive tracks sound a bit dated today - and this is coming from a guy who loves all sorts of aggressive metal!

I actually think that making a "Best of" compilation of tracks from Heaven Forbid, Hidden Mirror, and Symbol Remains would be a fun project to undertake. There definitely is a killer comp in those albums if you weed out some of the weaker material!

15. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

Thanks man. I will follow up with a re-evaluation of "Forbid" and also agree that a playlist and/or comp. would be an interesting thing to try since there's three albums now to chose from for a latter day "Best of" set. Not a bad idea...

16. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

That's too bad but makes sense I guess. So of course the ones that lose out are the fans (& the band assuming they even get a cut of any of the sales by Frontiers).

Matthew Tate and serj like this.
  17. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Boy. This thread has strayed off topic:)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

And since it’s off topic, just a note that the RSD Blue Oyster Cult Live ‘83 is essential. Get it if you can!

19. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

I agree :edthumbs:

Markyp likes this.
  20. George Co-Stanza

That is a good overview of ...Hidden Mirror, I think. I think my beef with the record is that it sounded, to me, like an extension of Heaven Forbid, but with mostly songs not as good. Most B.O.C. albums have their own personality, so to speak, but this one seemed to really lack one. I still like Dance on Stilts, The Old Gods Return and (especially) Stone of Love a lot, but I can't say I ever really listen to anything else from it anymore. Meanwhile, most other albums by the band (pre-Hidden Mirror) I can listen to from start to finish and mostly enjoy to this day, a few songs from both Mirrors and Club Ninja notwithstanding, as well as True Confessions (vomit).

21. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

Maybe if you listen to "Symbol" and then listen to "Curse" after, you might have a different view on it. Just a thought, I know everyone's tastes are a bit different. I do agree with you on some of "Mirrors" and "Club Ninja" however. And "True Confessions"? Well, I gotta say, after owning the 40th Anniversary edition of "Agents of Fortune" with Albert guesting and hearing Buck singing "Confessions", it's not a bad tune that Allen came up with, although "Tenderloin" is much better within the song cycle of the record. But "Confessions" isn't really that bad of a song. It's got a Stonesy, sorta Grateful Dead vibe to it and while it doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the tracks, it's an interesting tune nonetheless.

22. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

So, after listening again to it last night, my thoughts on Heaven Forbid are that it's a newer band with an upgraded sound and style and obviously Eric and Buck are in control mostly of the creative force behind the writing and having John Shirley contributing lyrics allows yet another collaborator within the BOC realm to give substance and structure to the songs presented. I think John's just as good of a writer as Richard Meltzer or Michael Moorcock in terms of the lyrics and the main thing I've always admired about this band is their conscious effort of being a bit intellectual and having a depth within the lyrical aspects of the songwriting process and no doubt, it was Sandy Pearlman's influence that brought it that specific quality to their material and writing style.

Now, while there is a heaviness displayed a bit moreso as in past releases, it is relatively in step with the last studio release 10 years earlier in "Imaginos". Opener, "See You in Black" is probably about the heaviest I've ever heard them save for maybe "Lips in the Hills" or most of "Tyranny and Mutation"(which is actually my all time favorite BOC album). I think it's a solid opening number, but when "Harvest Moon" follows, now we're truly back in business as this number is classic BOC with some quality singing and playing from Buck, eerie harmonies, and it does feature former BOC bassist/vocalist Jon Rogers whom had been with them the last decade prior to the finishing and release of this album; he's also on two other tracks. But, "Harvest Moon" is one of the top latter day numbers on offer here and while it picks up considerable speed during its middle section, it has an excellent display of the musicianship thriving within the band at that time. Drummer, Chuck Burgi does an excellent job throughout, especially on numbers like "X-Ray Eyes", "Damaged", "Real World" and "Still Burnin"(the double bass drums on that track are relentless!). I'm not a big fan of some of the Eric sung tracks like "Hammer Back" and "Power Underneath Despair". I find "Hammer Back" to be rather filler and "Despair" is just dreadful with its headbanging style chorus, ugh, this is not what I want from BOC; in my opinion, they were NEVER a metal band and this song just pushes it over the cliff for me.

There's a few Buck songs that I feel are also perhaps more suited for a solo effort than qualifying as BOC material. "Damaged" being the main one and don't misunderstand me as I think it's musically an excellent number and Buck's leads are "par excellence" and Danny's bass is looping, swinging and funky, I just don't find this to be within the BOC canon of material. "Real World" can also be heard in this similar vein and again, a great song, well written and well played, but just slightly to the left of BOC territory. One can argue that it is a wholly revamped group and updated for the contemporary sounds of the day and maybe I'm just too lost in the "old school" band's sound, but I think some songs just don't quite fit within the mold. Now, "Live For Me" and "Cold Grey Light of Dawn" certainly fit the bill within the familiar tendencies and style of old and I find these songs to be excellent features within the album. "Live for Me", of course, features future drummer Bobby Rondinelli and his drumming is quite superb. A little ironic in that Bobby once played in Rainbow and Chuck Burgi replaced him and in BOC they leapfrogged each other and Bobby wound up replacing Chuck! Haha. Anyhow, The inclusion of a live "unplugged" version of "In Thee" is a bit out of place, in my opinion, but I think I read somewhere that the reason for its inclusion was to give Allen a bit of something to share within the sales of the record since he apparently gave up on writing altogether. Maybe I'm misinterpreting what I heard from Buck, but again, I think this was one of the reasons why it was included. It's a good performance of the song and is definitely one of Allen's best that he gave to group for sure, but it just doesn't really belong on the record, in my opinion.

Overall, I'd give "Heaven Forbid" a solid B or 7 out of 10 rating. I'd say "Symbol Remains" is also tied for the same spot, for now anyway, that could change with the passing of time, however. But that's my assessment of BOC's comeback album.

23. DrStroganoff

DrStroganoff Forum Resident

For anyone that's interested, Heaven Forbid & Curse Of The Hidden Mirror are both available on vinyl once again from Frontiers store. These have been going for crazy money the last few months since they sold out everywhere so quickly. They are the only 2 BOC albums I have heard nothing of, so am really looking forward to them.

Am still loving The Symbol Remains. For me, the only weak track is The Machine. So much good stuff on this album!

Matthew Tate and Oyster Boy like this.
  24. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

Great review! That's a fair assessment and pretty much in line with my feelings on the album.

I guess what I've come to like about "Hidden Mirror" is the fact that they aren't trying to sound like any particular style on that album - they are just being themselves, warts and all. "Heaven Forbid" definitely has that vibe of a "revamped group" aiming for a "contemporary" sound that you mention, while "Symbol Remains" is maybe trying too hard in a few spots to sound like "classic" BOC, which ends up coming across as just a bit forced. Anyway, the bottom line is that, despite any perceived faults in these albums, we should consider ourselves lucky that we have three solid albums from a band who are still burnin' past their heyday and, unlike many of their peers, still writing some excellent music!

SonicBob and Pouchkine like this.
  25. George Co-Stanza

I have tried, but I just don't like True Confessions. I was iffy on the majority of the Agents of Fortune tracks for a long time, but I like them all a lot except for True Confessions. I even enjoy Tenderloin a lot; I love that floating synth lead.

ilistentoallkinds and SonicBob like this.