Blue Oyster Cult. Where Did You Come in?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AllOverTheMap, Feb 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Mine too-every song is great, and one of the rare albums that sounds great in any shuffled order (Rush' Grace Under Pressure being another).

2. Ezd

Ezd Forum Resident

Also about 1976... Older friends introduced me to their music..

3. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Nice to know the album's got another fan! :righton:

Never tried shuffling, but I reckon you're right. The songs are too good for the order to matter. Good shout on Grace Under Pressure too. Excellent record.

4. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

That's great news.

Slim Zooms likes this.
  5. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

I bought the first album the first time I saw it based on the cover alone. I was not disappointed.

[​IMG]

6. AllOverTheMap

AllOverTheMap Forum Resident Thread Starter

Am very curious to know whether Cope figured out that all that dead baby iconography was Coop's disgust with the prevalence of abortion.

7. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I believe Cope's interest in Cooper ends with the "School's Out" single, and is mostly concerned with the Straight Records era Alice.

8. AllOverTheMap

AllOverTheMap Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks. One day someone's going to break this story. And it will probably be me. Here.

9. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

That is fantastic news!

HfxBob likes this.
  10. mlew

mlew Pub Rocker

I was a student at SUNY Stony Brook when I first saw Blue Oyster Cult in early '72 at our gym.
    I was there with my buddy Paul and we were offered some acid to help us "get into" the Mahavishnu
    Orchestra, who were also on the bill with the headliner, the Byrds.

Blue Oyster's first album just came out and in our minds, were clearly the best band on stage that night. No acid needed!
    I distinctly remember "Cities on Flame" and "Stairway to the Stars" as being potential hits.

Since they started the band as the Stalk Forrest Group "in the neighborhood", they felt like the home team. They were very comfortable and were goofing around on stage. They said that tonight they were going by the name of Soft White Underbelly, one of their band names before settling on BOC.

Doggiedogma and AllOverTheMap like this.
  11. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

In the beggininng...early 1970s

12. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Sometime in the early 80s when I was 13 or 14. I liked "Burnin' For You" and "The Cowbell Song"......but what really did it was either WNEW-FM or WPLJ played a (pre-recorded) live concert.....don't remember where it was from but had Fire Of Unknown Origin songs. I taped it, played the cassette to death, and started buying the albums. I saw them two straight summers at the Asbury Park Convention Hall. Soon after, I started listening to them less as I got into the Grateful Dead and 60s music combined with not liking Revolution By Night. My 3rd live BOC show was the 40th anniversary show in 2012 the week after Hurricane Sandy.

I play them fairly regularly now.
    ............and I like Mirrors, including that Cars sounding song, which I took as a joke right away with the blatant backwards message after the 1st verse.

13. RobCos02330

RobCos02330 Forum Resident

Don’t Fear the Reaper was my introduction. I adored the song. But Fire of Unknown Origin sealed the deal. It’s still my favorite, despite all the great ones that came before. The perfect marriage of melodies, hooks, singing, lyrics and cmon.,.Joan Crawford! And it still rocks albeit with a softer edge.

stetsonic and Doggiedogma like this.
  14. scotto

scotto Senior Member

The FM station I grew up with (KKEG, Fayetteville, AR) was fairly freeform back in the '70s and used to play "Cities on Flame With Rock and Roll." That was the first BOC song I ever heard.

Pouchkine and Doggiedogma like this.
  15. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

The Revolution by Night is literally the only BOC record that would have three songs in my top 10:

Take Me Away
    Shooting Shark
    Feel the Thunder

PJayBe, Doggiedogma, carlwm and 2 others like this.
  16. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Must have been sometime in very late 72 through the middle of 73. Not sure if I heard the debut or Tyranny first, but I heard both very close in time to each other. Both an uncle and my drum teacher at the time played them for me at about the same time. Pretty sure they both discovered BOC via a supporting slot, though I'm not sure for what headliner(s). (Would have been a gig in Cleveland for my uncle, and South Florida for my drum teacher --probably Miami, in 72 or earlier 73.) I dubbed the first two albums on reel when I borrowed them from my drum teacher. Secret Treaties is the first one I bought when it was new.

17. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Outside of “The Vigil” which is one of BÖC’s greatest songs, Mirrors is terrible.

Done A Ton and Pouchkine like this.
  18. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Imaginos, still my favourite. Then went back and got the rest.

George Co-Stanza and carlwm like this.
  19. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Interestingly, on their live DVD recorded in 2002, "Stairway to the Stars" is the opening song.

Oyster Boy likes this.
  20. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

It was around the time they released that farming song... Don't Fear the Combine... or something like that.

HfxBob likes this.
  21. BluesOvertookMe

When I was 6 or 7, I heard the first three albums. Loved them all, but I obsessed over Secret Treaties, and frankly still do.

Then when I was in high school, I obsessed over Fire of Unknown Origin.

22. BluesOvertookMe

Harvest Moon? :D

Done A Ton, Oyster Boy and Digital-G like this.
  23. James F. Hassan

James F. Hassan Forum Resident

Love BOC I saw them 4 times in the 70's laser show and all. Great band love Agents and Spectres.

AllOverTheMap likes this.
  24. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

OK, this is funny. My dad stepped in at Agents, and he dragged me along to a concert, and I was floored, so my 1st was Spectres.

The interesting thing is, I glommed on to On Your Feet or on Your Knees real bad, and it took me a long time to be able to listen to the 1st 3 studio albums, because I thought that live record with all the improvisation and great sound was so awesome. Now ... Secret Treaties is one of my all time favorite records. :agree:

25. mickey g

mickey g Forum Resident

I was reading a bulletin board in the early 70s at Nassau Community College on Long Island. There was a want ad looking for a guitar player for a "folk-rock band" The stipulation was "Blue Oyster Cult fans not welcome !" Or words to that effect. I knew then I was going to like them. Not their biggest fan, but I do love a few of their songs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.