Blue Oyster Cult. Where Did You Come in?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AllOverTheMap, Feb 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I will have to re-visit that one. Part of it is that while I like the first album, the sound of it is rather bothersome. I have issues with the sound of T&M and Secret Treaties as well (the rhythm section is completely emasculated in the mixes), but at least those sounds nice and clear. But yeah, those live versions smoke. :)

Oyster Boy and steve phillips like this.
  2. steve phillips

steve phillips Forum Resident

I'm surprised that you're having issues with the sound quality on the first three.
    What versions do you have? I haven't listened to my original vinyl in a long time,
    but my memory is that they sound very good. I'll re-visit those soon. Some people have
    issues with the sound on the live album. While I understand what they're saying, I still
    wouldn't change a thing about it. It's burned into my brain the way it is. :)

Pouchkine likes this.
  3. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I should have used the word " mixing" instead of "sound." The mix leaves a lot to be desired in that the drums sound totally lifeless. There is no meat or balls to the rhythm section in the mix at all on T&M and Secret Treaties (it got a little better on Agents of Fortune). Don't get me wrong, I like those albums a lot, but I wish the mix was more balanced as far as the instruments go. And it's not like the guitars and keys are cranked up to annoying levels, not at all. The guitars and keys sound great; the drums and bass are just too dead-sounding.

4. doctorthoss

doctorthoss Well-Known Member

I came in around 83/84, just as I entered my teen years. I had heard "Reaper" many time growing up and loved it, and one day I spotted The Revolution By Night at the record store and grabbed it. I loved the title and the cover art as much as the music. I've been a fan since.

carlwm and Oyster Boy like this.
  5. Nanotear

Nanotear Drummer, Writer, FM radio DJ, cookie baker, etc

I'd love to hear more stories from people who sent away for the lyrics. This was something I only learned about this week. Very cool!

6. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

I sent away for them too!

They came in handy a few years later when friends of mine had a band that played a few BOC songs and needed the words.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  7. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Never seriously listened to them until about 3 years ago. Absolutely adore Imaginos, Tyranny, and On Your Feet

8. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

They sound thin to me as well. There's no meat or punch...which those albums deserve!
    Have you tried Mirrors? That one seems to get overlooked or naysay'd by those who aren't new-ish to BOC. I'm a relatively recent convert myself, and Mirrors was an instant favorite for me. Except for that darn opening cheese track Dr. Music :hurl:

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    Oyster Boy likes this.
  9. Yankeefan01

Yankeefan01 Forum Resident

My copy of Secret Treaties that I bought used back in the late '70's has the lyrics for a couple of songs that were copies of computer printouts. There's also the BOC logo drawn in marker on them.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  10. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

carlwm likes this.
  11. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

Me too, Tyranny and Creem, but I was still in eighth grade.

12. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

I think Secret Treaties --I remember Creem liked it.

Edit -- didn't see the above post -- I guess I remember correctly, Secret Treaties it is.
    1974 was 6th grade.

13. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

+1, pretty much. I was just a kid then and heard the hits of the previous couple albums but CN was when I first started getting my own cassettes. My mom had Some Enchanted Evening on vinyl so perhaps that was my intro.

I've gone soft on both Club Ninja and Revolution. I used to dislike them in comparison to the other records but now I absolutely adore them. Shooting Shark is my jam. I know fans of the "black and white" era don't generally like them, but I think they are wonderfully weird additions to the Cult canon. Exactly what BOC should be doing at the time.

mtvgeneration and carlwm like this.
  14. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

You Mad Man!

carlwm likes this.
  15. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

Started with Agents of Fortune, bought the subsequent albums as they came out up through Mirrors, and then was out. Saw BOC at a Day on the Green in Oakland in 1978 or 1979, and they were fanstastic.

16. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Revolution is still my favourite BOC album. Great tunes from start to finish.

17. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I can remember the very first time I head BOC. I was visiting a friend in the 1970's, and he said, "you've got to hear this". He promptly played "She's as Beautiful as a Foot". We fell about laughing (lyrics below). And so the song, and the associated album, became a "thing", and we'd enjoy the song more and more.

However, I was quickly in, and quickly out. Agents of Fortune was soon released, and they had their big single. I like the single, but the album just didn't hit the spot, and I was out. Love the first three albums though.

She's as beautiful as a foot
    She heard somebody say, the other day
    Didn't believe it when he bit into her face
    Didn't believe it when he bit into her face
    It tasted just like a fallen arch
    She heard somebody say, the other day
    Don't put your tongue on the bloody tooth mark place
    Don't put your tongue on the bloody tooth mark place
    Her face changing now, a guernsey cow