Blues legend Robert Johnson, an interesting twist?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve-oh, Mar 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member Thread Starter

Came across this web site via Slowhand, the Eric Clapton mailing list. Proposes an interesting theory on Robert Johnson. I'm no expert on recordings/speeds, but it is interesting to consider:

http://www.touched.co.uk/press/rjnote.html

2. Gary Mack

Gary Mack Active Member

I thought record speed had been standardized at 78rpm by 1930? If so, then the theory is debunked. If not, then someone would have to explain exactly why someone would want to record him slow so playback would be way fast - it makes no sense.

GM

3. MrPeabody

MrPeabody New Member

In fact, record speed was standardized in 1925 at 78.26 rpm. The theory is intriguing, but unlikely.

4. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

It makes the assumption that RJ tuned his guitar like we do today. Yes it crazy to play his stuff with a capo that high up - but it's unlikely RJ used a capo and like many of the blues players at that time he just tuned his guitar high.

5. DanG

DanG On Green Dolphin Street

Play the Crossroads examples, fast and slow. Pretty amazing. The slow version sounds very authentic.

6. joelbertrand

joelbertrand Forum Resident

I've always had the feeling that something went wrong with the pitch of those recordings way before I read this. Always sounded to me like Mickey Mouse was playing banjo. Listen to the timbre of both guitar and voice and the slow versions sound lot more authentic. I make the assumption that they played with the pitch to create the illusion that RJ played faster. The record speed was standardized in 1925 at 78.26 rpm but who knows if everybody followed the rules...

7. Guy from Ohio

C'mon people - don't you think it's amazing that in all those interviews done in the 50's & 60's with other blues players who actually heard RJ live - not one said, "oh, and that record's spinning too fast"

8. lil.fred

lil.fred Señor Sock

Yes. Also, Don Law, the engineer, was a well known guy who had ample opportunities to discuss his recording methods. I think if he'd been so innovative as to record Johnson slow on purpose, he'd have taken credit for it ... his sort of Les Paul-type innovation?

The slow Crossroads doesn't sound at all natural to my ears.

9. texquad

texquad Senior Member

Where do you go to listen to the examples? I'm not finding a place on the provided link!

10. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

They should be visible at the bottom of the page for the link provided.

11. mal content

mal content Guest

It says at the top he had to disable the sound clips because his bandwidth allowance was being used up too rapidly. Too bad, I wanna hear them now.

12. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

Not to get too far off topic, but what is the best version of this record? I have the Mastersound and always wondered if any of the several "rediscovered sources" sounded any better.

BOB

13. Guy from Ohio

Here's a good thread on that http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=20651&highlight=robert

I would keep the Mastersound only because it has the best version of Terraplane blues

14. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

They don't work.

Please list an alternate link. :)

15. reechie

reechie Senior Member

See previous post:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.