Bluesbreakers with EC mono/stereo CD from Japan

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joe D., Apr 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe D.

Joe D. Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just picked it up today. I like the mono tracks. It would be hard to find a good mono copy on LP, so I took a chance.

It was remastered by Jon Astley.

So far, so good.

Anyone else?

Joe

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Well, I haven't listened to the mono set that much, but other than the first 3 tracks, I actually (GASP) like the stereo version, probably moreso than the MoFi. It's been awhile since I listened, but I found the MoFi to sound a bit clouded on the top.

Note, though, that the first 3 (I think) tracks sound kind of bad for some reason. Different mastering...

3. hoboken lad

hoboken lad New Member

I have the British pressing of the mono/stereo Mayall/Clapton/Bluesbreakers CD. It sounds great to me. I'm a bit of a monophile when it comes to 50's and 60's recordings, but I had never heard ANY mono pressing of the album.

To me, the mono version is just a different way of looking at a classic album. And the stereo version on this CD is equally impressive. I dumped by MoFi version when I got it.

FYI, my British version also lists "Remastered by Jon Astley", so I presume it is a same version as the Japanese version.

4. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

What is interesting about this album is that the stereo version was not issued in the UK until 1969. The album was only available in mono for the first three years of its release in the UK. It's the mono mix that was prepared by M

5. Joe D.

The old stereo US CD sounds distorted and muddy. It's amazing how different it can be.
    I thought it was made from a crummy tape or just poorly recorded.

Why doesn't the US get this version of the CD?

I got it for a good price, it was worth it.

6. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

The 2001 domestic (US) remaster of The Turning Point is excellent. In heavy rotation in my house. On the stregnth of this remaster I was planning to get the new domestic Mayall/Clapton/Bluesbreakers remaster. Nobody has comented on the quality of this remaster yet on this post.

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I haven't heard it, but the folks on the Clapton mailing list have said it's terrible. I found that kind of surprising being a Bill Levenson-produced reissue, but...

8. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Question: Is this the mini lp cd from Japan, or is the one listed on HMV.com that lists both stereo and mono versions, although this doesn't say it's from Japan? Quite simply, where did you pick this pup up? Thanks much.

9. Joe D.

It's the paper mini LP CD from Japan. Found it at Tower Records Chicago downtown store.

I listened to it a few times, I'm glad I picked it up!

If you really like it, I believe this is a must have. My old copy was a sonic dog.

I don't consider myself an audiophile, but I must admit to being a tube lover (Dynaco SCA-35) 17 watts per channel slamming EL84's!

I've converted several friends to the tube side. As most guitarists with an ear will tell you, a tube guitar amp is the only way to go (I own three myself!)

I'm going to dump my old copy.

10. Juan Borras

Juan Borras Banned

Hey, wait a minute...remastered by Jon Astley? Isn't he the guy responsible for the Who remixes? What, is he finally shaping up?

Juan

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Actually, the Mayall CD was done several years ago. I think perhaps Jon has "discovered" some new "toys" since then. FWIW (as I stated above), while I like most of this disc, the first 3 stereo cuts sound pretty bad. I really don't like the EQ. Everything else is good though.

12. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

Just order the "Bluesbreakers/ Remastered" thur HMV. Found two on there, the Japanese one and another one for far less (16.77) u.s. dollars. Is the cheaper one from Canada or the U.K.?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.