Bluesound Node 2i

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rockin_since_58, Jan 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockindownthehighway

rockindownthehighway Not interested

It does not stream in the sense you don't play music from the Node on your phone or other device. It streams in the sense you give it your music service (Tidal etc.) credentials and the BluOS desktop or mobile app lets you control what's played out the output jacks, all via convenient controller apps. The Node output is via analog (dual RCA) or coaxial SPDIF.

It's means 2.4 and 5Ghz bands

No, as far as I know it is *either* wired or wifi, not both at the same time. I run mine wired, fwiw.

The only NAS support seems to be that it will find and index Samba shares. It does not support dlna servers.

I don't think music streaming is going to tax any normal NAS, even without a hot processor and big memory.

You can run a local HD into the Node but you are limited to what filesystems it supports and there is another issue there, but I can't remember what it is. I don't see any reason for choosing that option unless you don't have a NAS or way to do Samba shares and you don't have a streaming account. I'm really not sure why they even offer it.

2. blowinblue

blowinblue Kind of not blue.

Reboot smart phone or iPad? Unplug Node 2i for a few minutes? I was having problems with the Node app on my iPad locking up. This annoyance stretched out for a period of several weeks. Turning off the iPad and restarting always fixed the problem. Now it has stopped that misbehavior completely. My little mini iPad is loaded to near capacity so that may have had something to do with the problem. Or maybe not. It's been smooth sailing the last 3 weeks.

M. M.

3. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Got it working again. I deleted the local shares in BLUOS, deleted the shared directories on my Mac and redid it all and it is now working. Hope that does not happen often.

4. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

My system (Squeezebox) is different from yours, but serves the same purpose. One of the best things I did to improve dependability of all of it was to move my music files onto a PC stuck in a closet, always on, and wired to my router. I also gave that PC a "reserved" IP address. That way, even after a power cycle or machine restart (e.g. Windows Update), the PC with all my music always gets the same IP and all of my players can easily find it again.

BluOS operates a bit differently than Squeezebox, but if you suffer the same issue again you might try these ideas: 1) make sure the Mac where your library is located is always on and wired to your router, and 2) in your router settings give that Mac a reserved IP address.

Wish I could be more help. Keep us posted.

5. dwm67

dwm67 Forum Resident

Thanks for the insight ... seems like the C658 is simply a Node 2i with more features ... seems to make sense to go with another 2i :)

displayname likes this.
  6. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

Picked one of these guys up yesterday-quite impressed out of the box-really good interface.

rodentdog likes this.
  7. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

Maybe, but I think that's kind of missing the point. NAD is marketing the C 658 as a streaming DAC and even as "a new kind of stereo component." But I see it as a preamp with built-in streaming capabilities. I mean, c'mon, it has a phono stage and a volume knob, not to mention room correction software. I can't see a Bluesound product ever having those first two features. (I know the Node has a volume control but that's not the same as a volume knob :p)

displayname likes this.
  8. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

Anybody used an external DAC with Tidal streaming and notice variations in how the MQA is received? I've being using the Upsample on my Bryston BDA-3 and can see that the signal being bypassed to the DAC via Tidal (the Bryston is not MQA compliant) is different. The vast majority of tracks/albums seem to be bypassed at 96KHZ but the odd one is lower according to the Bryston anyway. Interesting although not sure what it means in real terms.

9. grelcar

grelcar Well-Known Member

I have a question concerning the Node 2i airplay capabilities. Does the Node 2i act like an endpoint where you can send audio from an iOS device to it or can it stream to other airplay capable devices or speakers?

10. rockindownthehighway

rockindownthehighway Not interested

I don't know the answer to this. But I do know there are different bitrates for MQA files on Tidal based on what my Oppo tells me. So it sounds like what you are saying is normal and expected.

11. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

It's an endpoint. I don't believe that you can redirect the output of the player via Airplay.

The MQA file is telling the Bryston what the bitrate is, it just tells you what MQA tells it.

displayname likes this.
  12. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

I get that but I thought the MQA process meant they were all inputed at 96Khz-some are coming in at 88Khz.

13. ds58

ds58 Forum Resident

It can’t stream to other devices using airplay, but it can stream to other devices using Bluetooth aptX...

I’m interested in this capability, as a source to my integrated amp and bluetooth headphones, using Roon.

14. JayNYC

JayNYC Chase that sound

15. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I would take this with a grain of salt. The guy was not even sure his Toslink cable used was good. Measurements do not mean much too me, I use my ears for deciding if a piece of gear is good or not and the Node 2i definitely passes my sound quality requirements and find it to be an excellent piece of gear overall.

16. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

17. blowinblue

blowinblue Kind of not blue.

Oh my! This changes everything. I'm taking my Node 2i down to the local Goodwill store this very afternoon. How could I have been so completely taken advantage of? Will I never learn? Lol.

M. M.

18. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I beg to differ. I have a Node 2, which is not Airplay compatible. I’m running an Apple TV 3rd gen into the Node via Toslink for the sole purpose of streaming Apple Music.

It serves its purpose, though the only way I can comment on its sound would be to stream directly from iTunes to the ATV and compare it to a direct stream of owned music from my NAS. Aside from experimentation I’d otherwise have no reason to do this.

19. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

The review is for the 2i, which I believe will support Apple Music by way of Air Play 2. So you will no longer need the TOSLINK input of the 2i.

20. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

True...I’d purchased the 2 after Bluesound announced their upcoming integration of Airplay and was disappointed (ok, pissed) that it required a new equipment purchase.

My new equipment purchase ended up being an ATV 4th generation. It allowed me to upgrade my TV options while backing into Airplay use with the Node, plus I saved $350 in the process.

PATB likes this.
  21. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

I streamed for testing purposes via Tidal the Steven Wilson mix of Marillion's Brave (not that big a fan of it but it was the first thing I came across) Mater version MQA and could not distinguish it from the Blu Ray version.

I am very very impressed with this small machine and have finally got Roon to be useful by setting that up on my base Mac and can stream my whole iTunes library to my big system-something I've struggled with previously.

rodentdog and SirMarc like this.
  22. dwm67

dwm67 Forum Resident

I have had the Node 2i for a couple weeks now and it has been a great addition to my 2nd system. My plan is to buy another for the main system in the next few months.

I am intrigued about Roon and am not sure my old Mac mini can handle it (i5 from several years ago) ... what model of Mac are you running it on?

23. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

My iMac is an i7 and about 8 years old now...look like you will be fine..
    Recommended Hardware
    • Intel Core i3, Ivy Bridge+
    • 4GB RAM
    • SSD boot drive
    • 1440 x 900 Resolution
    Supported Platforms for Roon Core or Roon Remote
    • Windows 7+ (10 recommended)
      • OpenGL 3.0 support is required to run Roon.
      • Media Packs are required for Windows Server 2012 R1/R2, or Windows N/K/NK
    • OS X 10.8+ (10.14 recommended)
    Supported Tablets as Remotes
    Supported Phones as Remotes
    Installing Roon
    A free Roon account is required to get up and running. See this page for Installation guidance

24. dwm67

dwm67 Forum Resident

Thanks BSC ... downloaded it a few hours ago ... very easy to set up I have to say :)

BSC likes this.
  25. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

I have been thinking about purchasing a streaming device for my music room...and the Bluesound has always been high on the list due to its value and small footprint.

Most of my listening is done in my music room with vinyl rips (and some CD rips) played via JRiver. Too bad JRiver doesn't have any connectivity to streaming services or the Bluesound would not really be on my radar. However, I enjoy listening to music during the day, and I like the idea of being able to stream in order to sample and preview new music releases or artists/albums I am not familiar with before I decide whether I want to seek them out on vinyl.

Right now I am using Deezer and streaming via Bluetooth to a Klipsch The One upstairs in the family room as that is where I work during the day. I assume that a device such as the Node 2i is going to provide a much higher fidelity than something streamed via Bluetooth. If I were to purchase a Node 2i for the music room downstairs...is there any way to get the streaming output upstairs in my family room during the day? It looks like it has a semi-normal power cord...I guess I could just buy another cord and transport the Node back and forth between my listening room and the family room.

Thoughts?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.