Bluesound Node 2i

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rockin_since_58, Jan 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I thought I'd provide an update on the dropouts I was having with my Node 2i over WiFi. As hoped upgrading my router and connection speed did the trick. Unfortunately at least for now the new router had to be installed in the basement which moved it farther from the Node 2i (previously it was in the next room), but there’s now an extender where the old, nearby router used to be. And so far the greater distance doesn't appear to be a factor - since making the change I haven't had any more dropouts, even playing hi-res tracks while other things are being downloaded, streamed, etc. on other devices. It would've been nice if I didn't have to do these upgrades just for the 2i (since my old Node 2 and everything else in the house worked fine with my old setup). But I'm happy it's been resolved and the Node 2i will be getting lots of good use.

EricMack, SirMarc and Eigenvector like this.
  2. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Is anybody using their Node 2i with powered speakers (Bluetooth or Wired)? I am thinking of using it as a bedroom system. Currently I just use it with BT headphones to fall asleep to.

3. mark_j

mark_j Forum Resident

I'm tried mine with an older pair of Audioengine A2 in my bedroom. Sounded great. I swapped the Node out for my Chromecast Audio because I wanted to connect the Node to my main system. I think Audioengine is still making a newer version of the A2, but it is a lot more expensive. I bought mine for $200 but the new "+" version is $270. I don't think they're quite worth that.

Edit: I should add, the Audioengine A2 has a very pleasant full and slightly rolled off sound. Fantastic for bedroom sleeping music.

4. rockin_since_58

Thanks for the reply. I initially had the Node in my main system but it did not add any real benefit there. I play ripped CD's from the local HD and use the Tidal app for streaming. Works great for using the BT headphones at night.

mark_j likes this.
  5. ds58

ds58 Forum Resident

I am using a Node 2 feeding a pair of Vanatoo Model One speakers. It works really well in my setup.

The Node is Roon Ready, so that takes care of music and internet radio. I also send the optical out from a TV to the Node, and then use it as a preamp to control the TV volume.

rockin_since_58 likes this.
  6. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

I am using Node2 with Kanto yu-6 powered speakers in my master bedroom. Works great.

ScottRiqui likes this.
  7. rockin_since_58

I ended up buying some Polk T15 bookshelf speakers and hooking them up to an Onkyo A9555 integrated amp that I had. So running the TV and the Node through this setup and sounds very nice for the bedroom.

Alan Beasley and ds58 like this.
  8. stanley00

stanley00 Forum Resident

I’m using mine as a headphone amp / streaming source these days. Audioquest Nighthawk Carbons plugged straight in. Sounds great.

9. rockin_since_58

I have Sennheiser HD 600's which are 300 ohms and does not work well with the node. My BT headphones do sound decent with the Node though.

10. stanley00

stanley00 Forum Resident

The Nighthawks are fairly efficient, but the Node can't drive them much louder than my iPhone. I could see why it wouldn't be an ideal choice for the Senns.

11. h46e55x

h46e55x What if they believe you?

I discovered a few things when trying to use the Node2i. I have multiple access points in my house and they all share the same SSID, this allows mobile devices to roam easily. My wireless network is built using business class APs and monitors the uplink for connectivity. If the uplink is offline, the AP is disabled. Also LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data is blocked by default.

1. The Node2i does not handle wireless disconnects with any kind of grace. So monitoring the uplink needed to be turned off, this is not an issue on my home network.
    2. Blocking multicast and broadcast data interferes with normal setup/operation as the devices do not use DNS etc., to locate resources. Again not a big deal on a small home network.
    3. The Node2i is not stable connected to an SSID that is used on multiple APs. I created a secondary SSID for the AP local to my Node2i and used that instead. The Node2 did not have the same problem.

Before the changes music could take 2-5 seconds to start playing or sometimes just not start at all. Now everything is stable and snappy. So it seems the simpler your environment to begin with, the better result you would have. If you have a mesh network, I am sure the hand-off problem would plague your Node2i.

Also I have had a couple of Bluesound/Bluos devices hold settings that were disabled or removed. The Bluos card in my amplifier was playing far quieter than a CD player. I decided that the volumes limits were set, even though they did not appear to be in the interface. My Node2i showed an equalizer in the ROON chain even though one was not enabled. Resetting the devices and then setting them up again cleared the incorrect settings and made everything work great again.

adamos likes this.
  12. Billy Bird

Billy Bird Forum Resident

Just purchased and received a Node 2i in the UK but the only power cables supplied are both two pins, one the circular type, the other thin and flat with holes at the end. Have other UK purchasers received a 3 pin plug or am I being stupid here?

13. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

From your description, you received a U.S. and a Euro plug. Or is the flat blade cable a UK connector without an earth? Either way, buy an adaptor plug - they’re inexpensive - or contact the company or person from whom you purchased the Node2i and request the correct cable or adaptor plug.

FYI, the U.S. version does not ship with an earthed power cable, nor is there an earthed power connection on the Node2i.

14. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

Node 2i here also

15. MattG

MattG Unreliable Narrator

I'm going to get one of these soon. Have a quick question that I hope one of y'all can help me with:
    I'm not sure if I'll prefer the Node's DAC or the one in my Parasound Halo Integrated, so I'm planning to run the RCA analog outs and a coax S/PDIF both at the same time into my integrated, then will switch between inputs on the integrated to determine which I'll prefer. Will that work? Will the Node output both at the same time or do I need to physically unplug one on the back of the unit?

16. hman

hman Forum Resident

That is how I tested it. Enjoy!

Agitater and MattG like this.
  17. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident

Finally retiring my Squeezebox Touch and ordered one of these.

rodentdog and displayname like this.
  18. Kristofferabild

Ok. I finally got my Bluesound set up. For years I have been using my Squeezebox Touch with an old Audio Alchemy XDP, DTI & Power 2. It is based on an old Philips Dac 7 chip. I believe this is a 1bit / Bitstream chip.

Now that is being replaced by a Bluesound Node 2i. It has a new 32 bit Burr Brown dac and let me just say that it sounds a lot different!
    I do miss the black background and laid backness of my old setup. However the new setup has more details and upfront sound. Maybe I will get used to it...If not I will install the old dac again even though it is only 16bit.
    I only have about 10 albums in High Res so not that big of a deal.
    Does the Node 2i have any sort of break in period? Will the sound change in the future?

displayname likes this.
  19. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

I haven't noticed any difference.

Kristofferabild likes this.
  20. Kristofferabild

Just for fun I tried turning the power lead around at the power plug end that goes into the wall and I must be crazy, but I think I can hear a difference?!

21. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

Ears don't lie.

22. Kristofferabild

Unfortunately so far my experience with Bluesound has been a disappointment. I use an extender with my network and whenever my phone connects with this network the player disappears completely from the app. The only way to bring it back, is to start Spotify connect. Also the wifi receiver is much weaker than my other devices that have no problems.
    I don’t trust it and I think it is going back. :(
    I have reached out to Bluesound support.

23. Kristofferabild

Hmm, seems like enabling 108.11r fixed my problem. We will see.

EricMack and adamos like this.
  24. Kristofferabild

Ok, to be fair I have everything sorted out now and really like the Node 2i. I will say however, if you don't have a stable and modern wifi net, you will be frustrated. My extender was causing problems and switching to a Synology Mesh wifi system solved it.
    I still don't love the sound and will try my old Audio Alchemy Dac next week.

displayname likes this.
  25. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Thanks for the thread and thanks to all participants. I'm looking hard at one of these and the comments are encouraging.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.