Bo Burnham: Inside (2021) Netflix Comedy Special

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jwoverho, Jun 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer Thread Starter

Bo Burnham spent the lockdown writing, performing, directing and editing an hour and-a-half one-man show from the confines of one room in his home. I won't go into much more detail than to say it's a wild, creative and impressive piece of performance art. I wasn't aware of his musical talent, but he's definitely got the knack for writing biting, satirical songs that often pull no punches.

HaileyMcComet likes this.
  2. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer Thread Starter

Welcome To The Internet

3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I watched about half of this last night. Pretty excellent...White Woman's Instagram is hysterical.

HaileyMcComet and jwoverho like this.
  4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Someone is channeling Tom Leher :)

jwoverho likes this.
  5. HaileyMcComet

HaileyMcComet Forum Resident

I saw this last week. I know nothing about Bo Burnham, so I don't know if this is representative of his work or if this is taking it into a different direction. I can assume that this one is very different from his usual stand-up, especially the editing, songs, and claustrophobia, but you never know.

6. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I saw this a couple of weeks ago and can't get it out of my mind. I called it Black Mirror: The Musical on Letterboxd -- really brilliant songwriting and keen observations about our current world. The songs really stand on their own too, outside of the special. "That Funny Feeling" makes me think of Adam Schlesinger from Fountains of Wayne. This whole thing is way beyond anything else I've seen Burnham do. Just outstanding.

7. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

8. wondergrape

wondergrape Forum Resident

Pretty darned brilliant special, but this was by far my least favorite bit. The comedy of "punching down" is just no longer funny to me, even from a self aware comic such as Burnham.

9. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

I thought is was pretty hilarious...

Mechanical Man likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.