Boardwalk Empire on HBO

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by benjaminhuf, Sep 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Haven't seen it yet...but since Rolling Stone spoiled it for me via their Twitter feed, I guess I can agree. :sigh:

2. aforchione

aforchione Forum Resident

As soon as that final scene started with Richard walking towards the house, I thought this is An Occurrance at Owl Creek Bridge. An adaption of the Bierce story was made into a short film in the late 50's or early 60's, French made I think, and shown as an episode of the Twilight Zone. Also, the shooting of the mob boss in Chicago looked like a bit of an homage to the Brando death scene in I.

Vidiot likes this.
  3. PonceDeLeroy

PonceDeLeroy Forum Resident

Seeing Harrow's face made whole. That was really moving!

The WWI connection added a lot of depth to this story.

Pete Puma and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  4. matthew5

matthew5 Forum Resident

I agree. It was ludicrous. And if all it takes is some witnesses overhearing a 'confession' in order to get an arrest then why go through the whole charade? Just make it up. Apparently there is no need for material evidence anyways. And for the amount that all of this cost I am assuming that Gillian's anonymous victim was a Rockefeller.

5. I noticed they name dropped all of the North Side gang leader successors of O'Bannion in last night's episode. Capone would find them to be a major pain for the remainder of the prohibition.

6. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Yeah, I knew as soon as they started with that transition from train to walking on the tracks to emerging from the forest it was meant to be his dying fantasy. That kind of sequence has been used in movies and TV shows many times, but the Ambrose Bierce story is the origin.

Richard was a great character and it was sad to see him go, but they gave him a nice send-off, letting us see his full face. Too bad he ended his career as a sniper with such a failure. I was ready to have no more of Narcisse.

Can someone tell me where Daughter is? And are we supposed to take it that she IS who betrayed Chalky to Narcisse? I think the guy who was "going to Baltimore" was at the Onyx club when Chalky went there. I still don't see how Miss D. would have been able to communicate with anyone or find her way out of there in the dark.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
    Bill Hart likes this.
  7. stumpy

stumpy Forum Resident

I was glad Jimmy made it back for one last scene. ;)

I was thinking this last show could very well have been a series finale. Everything was tied up with nothing really exciting to bridge the long gap until next season (IMO.)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
    mdm08033 and GentleSenator like this.
  8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That and Brian the Dog, dead in the same night. I was emotionally wiped.

I actually paused the machine and said, "oh s###, this is all a dying man's dream!" Very sad end to a terrific character, but they telegraphed his demise a mile away.

I'm curious if Nucky is gonna let the ex-hooker fry for killing the fake son in the bath tub. (Man, is that a complicated plot, or what?)

9. PonceDeLeroy

PonceDeLeroy Forum Resident

I've seen it twice now and still don't know how I was supposed to conclude that Harrow's dead, though I know from comments by the writer that he is. I just see him sitting wounded under the boardwalk. And the dream? I've had many dreams like that myself about reuniting with my departed family, so that did not signal to me that he was dying, just dreaming.

What a bad day Eli had! That guy playing him is a terrific actor.

10. stumpy

stumpy Forum Resident

I like the stance that he developed. Hunched over, eyes barely able to look past the brim of his hat, all with that kind of smirk that you just knew was coming from a man that someone had pushed too far, more than once.

11. Geoff

Geoff Senior Member

Eli was superb. A real high point in the show for me. The fate of Richard and Chalky's daughter were just too sad though :(

12. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

In the last season, Eli, Nucky and the Chicago Mob got together at the end of the season. Capone mixed with the Atlantic City guys (Jimmy mostly) as early as season two, I believe, while he still lived in Brooklyn. New Jersey and Chicago did a lot of business together last year. Eli has been connected to Chicago for a while now.

13. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

And that version of "Farewell Daddy Blues" was terrific. What a great choice for a parting song, and very well sung. I have watched the ending three times just to hear it.

Captain Groovy and stumpy like this.
  14. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I think that Daughter Maitland is now playing a circuit of small, rundown black clubs to small crowds, singing the songs she was singing at the high class East Coast swanky white nightclubs. I think that these crowds will be tougher and expect her to infuse the material with more feeling. It may make her a better artist. I realize that this is a fictional career I am musing about. Why won't Narcissse be able to find her, if she is advertised at playing at a backwoods shack in Mississippi for example? Information about her career is bound to leak out and get back to Narcisse, even in that era.

Nucky and Capone have been linked for some time, so I am not surprised that Eli would have been sent to live under Capone's protection in Chicago. What I am not sure of is whether Eli ever got to know Van Alden before, in previous seasons--it is Van Alden who picks Eli up to drive him from Atlantic City to Chicago at the end of this episode. Did only Nucky know Agent Van Alden back when he was a Treasury agent, or did Eli know him too? Did Eli have reason to recognize Van Alden and know his history, when Van Alden pulled up in the car?

I thought that Chalky's daughter would be killed as soon as I saw her with Narcisse in the club. It was like the end of the "Godfather III" film, when Al Pacino's daughter is mistakenly shot to death at the end.

I think that no one will help Gillian. I doubt that Nucky cares much about her, especially after she housed Gyp Rosetti the previous year.

I am not sure why Narcisse will not try to kill Chalky now. Narcisse will be informing on Marcus Garvey for the FBI, but why wouldn't Narcisse kill Chalky as a side activity?

So Narcisse was not the Harlem connection of the FBI, who Hoover instructed an agent to "nourish" at the end of an FBI meeting a few episodes ago. I had imagined that we would find out that Narcisse was well connected with the FBI too, further insulating him from attacks by Chalky, Nucky, anyone. But that was not the case.

It is sad that Richard died, to be sure. I have been to Plover, Wisconsin, and it is a small farm town in an area where the biggest nearby town, Wausau, is about 30,000 people. Wausau is now a 2 1/2 hour drive at 70 mph on the highway to any city. Richard's widow, father and Tommy have ended up in an isolated place which will be a huge culture shock compared to Atlantic City.

In the chaos of the shooting scene at the nightclub, did I correctly see that an innocent bystander, a blonde woman, was also shot to death?

15. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Shea Whigham who portrays Eli has now been in 2 of the most intense fight scenes I think I have ever seen on tv. This one was even more brutal than the one he did when Eli and Nucky squred off a couple of years ago.
    Yeah I realize that I just was wondering how he hooked up with them in this current sequence. Seems he's on the outs with Nucky again and anything like him running with Chicago would have to go through Nucky unless he's doing it without Nucky's ok.

16. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

Have you seen Deadwood? Dan Dority vs. The Captain was probably the most brutal I've seen. Wow.

17. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Blu Ray sets on Amazon for 18.00!!!!

18. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Yup that was a great one also.

I was kind of surprised that it took Eli so long to put away Knox. Guess the combination of Knox being at least a little out of his mind, and Eli in less than fighting shape because of his boozing helped.

19. CusBlues

Nucky mentioned to Will, I think, that his father was safe with friends in the west so I'm sure Nucky took care of him. Evidently, Chicago was in the west in the 20s.

20. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Yeah. I just grabbed my eyeball to make sure it was still there!

AndrewS likes this.
  21. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Everything is "out west" from Atlantic City.

22. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

You're right. At the time I figured that was code for "he sleeps with the fishes" but either Nuck bailed out Eli again, or has other plans for him that are not going to be good for Eli's health.

23. stumpy

stumpy Forum Resident

I remember liking the fact the writers gave "Dan" some time to get over that fight in the script. Not just physically, but mentally, also. Sorry, OT. :hide:

AndrewS likes this.
  24. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

[quote="Hot Ptah, post: 9698571, member: 20644"]Nucky and Capone have been linked for some time, so I am not surprised that Eli would have been sent to live under Capone's protection in Chicago. What I am not sure of is whether Eli ever got to know Van Alden before, in previous seasons--it is Van Alden who picks Eli up to drive him from Atlantic City to Chicago at the end of this episode. Did only Nucky know Agent Van Alden back when he was a Treasury agent, or did Eli know him too? Did Eli have reason to recognize Van Alden and know his history, when Van Alden pulled up in the car?

I think Eli was already in Chicago judging from the steel girders at the place where Van Alden picked him up. I believe those girders supported the El train.

I thought that Chalky's daughter would be killed as soon as I saw her with Narcisse in the club. It was like the end of the "Godfather III" film, when Al Pacino's daughter is mistakenly shot to death at the end.

Are we so sure that Richard "missed" when he shot Chalky's daughter? The hesitation as well as the flexing of his fingers makes me think she was the target all along. Best way to get Chalky out of the way (without killing him) is to hit the daughter. Richard hesitated to take the shot, and he has brutally killed many before, so why the hesitation unless the shot was meant for her?"

In the chaos of the shooting scene at the nightclub, did I correctly see that an innocent bystander, a blonde woman, was also shot to death?[/quote]

I noticed that too.

Hot Ptah likes this.
  25. CusBlues

There was a woman who had blood splattered on her face, but I didn't see another woman killed. That doesn't mean I didn't miss something, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.