Bob Dylan - 50th Anniversary Collection: 1963

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pigalle, Nov 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Ebay should crack down on those and RSD releases, ditto for the special Grateful Dead box sets.

Speaking of the Grateful Dead, it's going to be hellish for them when the time comes to keep their 1966 recordings from going public domain. All those "acid test" shows and early boards that used to be available on Archive.org years ago, 1967 will be better. Rhino is going to have a headache on their hands.

Speaking of PD/gray market CD's and music entering PD status, what about the Beach Boys.
    All those unissued tracks, unissued stereo, and alternate takes on those Sea Of Tunes sets all dating from 1962-63 are now up for grabs since Capitol/Universal just sat on their hands, they have the Beatles on their priority list and forgot about their other top act.

The Dylan 1965 set (if it comes out) will be the one.

2. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I'm starting to think this set will not be as limited as we think .

3. crimpies

crimpies Forum Resident

Crack down on what? What are they doing wrong?

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  4. alanb

alanb Senior Member

Yeah i get it - it all just seems a bit wacked.

5. aoxomoxoa

That would sort of defeat the purpose of eBay, wouldn't it? They are an auction site and that's how they generate revenue.

I bet they press 10,000 of these at least. A brilliant marketing scam from the folks at Sony.
    Don't get me wrong, I am glad to see it come out. But here is a release they put ZERO effort into as far as mastering or packaging, and they are getting $160 for it on the retail market. This set is only worth half that if they put a decent book with it. But create a buzz around it and sell a bunch at an inflated price instead. No one can be to blame since there is no "official" word or press release for the album. It's brilliant!

6. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

They still can off of the listing fee.
    For the longest time when you list bootlegs, they pulled them off and kept the $1 listing fee.
    Ebay doesn't get the "end of auction" fee but they get something.
    The scalpers are ruining it for the fans who want the records.

7. Sony's lawyers cooked up this release. I think Sony believes music fans that can't get one will simply download it from the dark side of the Internet.

8. crimpies

crimpies Forum Resident

Or, they are providing people in far away lands with an opportunity to buy records they wouldn't otherwise have access to.

It's not illegal to buy records and re-sell them on eBay, so I don't understand your argument that the listings should be terminated. :rolleyes:

Thelonious_Cube, JimC and wbhendrix like this.
  9. mycroft

mycroft Forum Resident

10. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

11. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Sounds like last night to me.

12. aoxomoxoa

I don't think they care. In fact maybe they want that to happen. It would squelch anyone trying to sell it illegally.

13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The real question is whether all of these "Copyright" tapes will be included in next years boxset Volume 2

14. stepeanut

I seriously doubt that. The point of these extremely limited releases is not to make them available to the wider public. Quite the opposite; they are a means to an end.

15. aoxomoxoa

Anyone actually get one of these yet? I haven't heard a peep from Amazon, which is odd for them. They usually send an email.

16. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

How exactly is eBay supposed to crack down on people re-selling legally purchased items? By that reasoning, eBay should crack down on every single person selling a used CD or LP on their site.

Thelonious_Cube and JimC like this.
  17. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

Nada. I have an order with Amazon.ca and Amazon.com and nothing. "Not yet shipped".

18. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Better than "Cancelled."

Jason W likes this.
  19. aoxomoxoa

That's coming I bet.....

20. Sean Murdock

Maybe ... probably ... but it hasn't yet. I originally ordered the set from CD Universe when they had it up for sale, and that one was cancelled in less than a week. To me, no cancellation from Amazon means they're still trying to get it...

21. aoxomoxoa

If they only did a few hundred, I would guess they are all gone. If they did a few thousand, we may have a chance.

22. stepeanut

Early figures gave the total run as 400: 100 for the UK, and 300 for the rest of Europe. Those numbers came, apparently, from one of the European dealers that carried the set. Sounds reasonable to me, although still no official word from Sony, obviously.

23. Sean Murdock

I'm well aware of the realities of the situation; I'm just choosing not to worry about it until I get a cancellation notice from Amazon. I probably won't worry about it AFTER that, either...

mr. scratchy esq likes this.
  24. aoxomoxoa

Right. I'd rather not spend $160 on this but I simply have to try to get one.

25. Sean Murdock

Exactly. Given the clusterf**k that the Beatles iTunes "Copyright Extension" release turned out to be, I'll be pretty grateful if I score one of these LP sets. But I sure ain't paying $500-1000 for one on eBay...

aoxomoxoa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.