Bob Dylan - 50th anniversary collection - 1964

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by oh1, Dec 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Where are you getting this information from? The performer's death has nothing to do with the copyright of musical performances.

"The rights of performers last for 50 years from the distribution or communication of the performance, or for 50 years from the performance itself if it had never been communicated to the public during this period.[18]The rights of phonogram producers last for 50 years after publication of the phonogram, or for 50 years after its communication to the public if it had never been published during that period, or for 50 years after its creation if it had never been communicated to the public.[19] The rights of film producers last for 50 years after the communication of the film to the public, or for 50 years after its creation if it had never been communicated to the public during that period.[20] The rights of broadcasting organisations last for 50 years after the first transmission of a broadcast.[21] The European Commission proposed this be extended to 95 years and following this suggestion the European Parliament passed legislation to increase the term to 70 years. " (Wikipedia)

Publishing rights for songwriters extend 70 years after the death of writer (or the death of the last living writer for co-compositions).

IronWaffle likes this.
  2. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

I could be wrong, but I see a Blood On The Tracks postponement to 2017.

3. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

I'm glad they are doing this. I don't want everything, but I want to buy legitimate copies of the best stuff. This gives me hope that they will be releasing sets in the Bootleg Series for years to come.

4. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

Yes!!!! It's another present from Bob this year!

5. Heart of Gold

Actually the article 4 of the EU copyright directive provides this 25 years term of protection for the first publication of previously unpublished works, when the relative copyright terms are expired. This could be the case of uncirculated Bob Dylan recordings from Sony vaults or elsewhere.

6. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

What happens if someone has a good quality uncirculated tape of a 1966 or 1974 show? Are they free to sell it themselves without sharing any proceeds?

7. RayS

I can see that something along these lines is on the books, but this essentially means that anyone (Sony included) could have claimed the copyright to, say, the 1961 Minnesota "Hotel Tape" the minute it entered the public domain, thwarting all other public domain releases. That has not happened. It doesn't make any sense.

8. RayS

I'm most certainly not a lawyer, but the first question would be is the individual the legal owner of the tape. Beatles mid-60's audience tapes are clearly the property of the people who taped them. The "Get Back" Nagra reels were stolen (and the person caught with them was prosecuted, even though he wasn't the one who did the stealing).

If the person is the legal owner, he/she can sell the tape, but not the rights to the performance, which stay with the performer (for 50 years in the EU). But a previously unreleased 1963 tape, legally owned, could be put out tomorrow in the EU (as long as songwriting royalties are paid) without paying any performance royalty or getting permission to release.

9. Heart of Gold

Minnesota tapes are circulated for ages. Wrong example.

10. RayS

"Circulated" is irrelevant. Courts aren't tape collectors. There is no legal definition of "circulated", just "published" and "unpublished". Apart from a couple of tracks, the Minnesota Hotel Tape was "unpublished" when it entered the public domain in the EU on January 1, 2012. A short time later it was published by an EU public domain company. But there is no copyright on the work stopping the next EU company from releasing exactly the same thing. So no one has apparently attempted to invoke the "25 year rule", Sony included.

11. Heart of Gold

There's the Law, ther're the courts too, there's the doctrine as well. The law can be interpreted in 100 different ways. And trials can be very expensive.

12. SoundAdvice

What about radio/tv appearance that were home taped then the masters were wiped?

13. Heart of Gold

Public domain.

14. RayS

Have you got something cool hiding under the bed? :)

15. SoundAdvice

I know a local DJ that taped Seattle Beatles 64 from the front row and never shared it.

Also a couple unheard press conference/interviews from major acts including Dylan 66.

16. Paul W

Paul W Senior Member

I was in the UK last week and saw lots of Dylan and Springsteen material from the early years that was being sold openly in HMV and Fopp. So I guess the 50 year rule is in effect, not the 70 year rule.

17. Heart of Gold

Not an Elvis Presley expert, but Sony has sold for ages in Europe unpublished and unreleased recordings of Elvis Presley, notwithstanding the expiry of the relative performance copyrights. I'm not aware that someone else has copied these Sony recordings and distributed them on the market. I think that Sony can invoke the 25 years first term publication.

18. RayS

The Beatles Seattle '64 circulates as a complete audience tape, but it's pretty horrible (). Not sure how good any 1964 Beatles audience tape CAN sound, but if the tape you're speaking of is a different source I'd love to hear it. Come January 1, 2015, Seattle '64 is fair game for release in the EU.

19. RayS

50 years ago Springsteen was 15 years old.

20. RayS

Why would Sony have different rights than whatever public domain company puts out the Minnesota Hotel Tape?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Minnesota-H...r=8-1&keywords=bob+dylan+minnesota+hotel+tape

If they DID have those rights, why didn't they exercise them in the same manner they are extending copyrights now?

subtr likes this.
  21. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

I hope you're wrong. They could get it out at the end of 2015 and make the most of it being an anniversary year. Then do the same in 2016 with a bigger Blonde on Blonde set. That might then negate the need for a late 2016 set to extend copyright, or they can get ahead of themselves, as (at a guess) there isn't too much uncirculated that collectors might be able to release from 1967-1971. They have Basement Tapes material already just covered so can have a little rest on the copyright extension sets and re-strategise a release schedule that doesn't need to include that. For a couple of years.

That's what I'd do, along with simply putting a smattering of shows from each tour from 1974 to present day on BD.com in lossless for a decent price. I don't think that will ever happen though.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  22. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

This one feels promising:

Didsbury Studios
    Manchester, England
    14 May 1964

3. Chimes Of Freedom

For my money, his greatest composition from this particular year, but I think a better and truly definitive version can be had from this time frame. Perhaps this will be it?

There's only two that have been officially released in some form - the studio/LP version, which has some noticeable slurring (the whole album was recorded in a single marathon session, and Dylan was drinking quite a bit Beaujolais) and the later Newport performance, which is a bit too forceful.

streetlegal likes this.
  23. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Maybe 2017 will see a Copyright Protection EP filled out with John Wesley Harding outtakes. :)

subtr likes this.
  24. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

The 9 LP tip is on the Searching for a Gem homepage, which somehow makes it feel more real to me! (Even though the tip came from this forum, and I had no reason to doubt those who put forth the 9-LP stuff originally.) WHAT could be on this thing? I am on the edge of my seat.

25. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Well, my 2-cent wish is that this set includes some stuff from later years, up to say 1967.
    I'm hoping for the rest of them ol' Basement Tapes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.