BOB DYLAN 50th Anniversary Collection 1969

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Darren Smith, Dec 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Is that bit of Peggy Day unique or is it just a copy of take 2 (or take 1?)

whether Western Road aka Blues was recorded at the end of the session or in between takes of Lay Lady Lay might be a better question.

Bob Dylan: The Recording Sessions (part 2)

Columbia Recording Studios
    Nashville, Tennessee
    February 13, 1969, 6:00 - 9:00 pm, and 9:00 - 12:00 midnight.

Produced by Bob Johnston

1. To Be Alone With You CO98922

2. I Threw It All Away CO98923

3. One More Night CO98924

4. Lay, Lady, Lay CO98925

5. Blues CO98926

6-9 pm: To Be Alone With You, I Threw It All Away and One More Night recorded.
    9-12 pm: Lay, Lady, Lay and Blues recorded."

asdf35 likes this.
  2. I passed on Big Blue aswell because I couldn’t justify the price. Another release that excluded the majority of fans by pricing us out of the market! I’ve always felt like I didn’t have the full Cutting Edge experience but reasoned that I had the core important material in the 6 disc deluxe edition.

But this! This hasn’t even afforded me the opportunity to even make an attempt to buy it!

I’m annoyed at the cold clinical business of it all.

Imagine70, SPARTACUS and cublowell like this.
  3. joshbg2k

joshbg2k Forum Resident

Anyone in the US who ordered this from Badlands have a tracking status that still says "Pending / Does not exist"?

4. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

That entry was superseded when Krogsgaard found additional documentation and published an updated listing in the third installment of his sessionography. It notably moves the relative position of "Blues" :

Bob Dylan: The Recording Sessions - Part Three

Columbia Recording Studios
    Nashville, Tennessee
    February 13, 1969, 6:00-9:00 pm, and 9:00-12 midnight

Produced by Bob Johnston

1. To Be Alone With You CO98922 Take 1C
    2. To Be Alone With You Take 2b
    3. To Be Alone With You Take 3b
    4. To Be Alone With You Take 4C
    5. To Be Alone With You Take 5b
    6. To Be Alone With You Take 6C
    7. To Be Alone With You Take 7B
    8. To Be Alone With You Take 8C
    9. I Threw It All Away CO98923 Take 1C
    10. I Threw It All Away Take 2B
    11. I Threw It All Away Take 3b
    12. I Threw It All Away Take 4C

13 Blues CO98926 Take 1C

14. One More Night CO98924 Take 1C
    15. One More Night Take 2B
    16. One More Night Take 3B
    17. One More Night Take 4
    18. One More Night Take 5B
    19. One More Night Take 6C

20. Lay, Lady, Lay CO98925 Take 1C
    21. Lay, Lady, Lay Take 2C
    22. Lay, Lady, Lay Take 3B
    23. Lay, Lady, Lay Take 4C

14-19 "No Light Will Shine On Me" on recording sheet.

Musicians: Charlie McCoy (bass), Robert S. Wilson (piano and organ), Charlie Daniels (guitar and dobro), Norman L. Blake (guitar), Kenneth Buttrey (drums) and Kelton D. Herston (probably guitar) 9-12: Pete Drake (steel guitar) and Wayne Moss (guitar).
    Kelson Herston, Pete Drake and Wayne Moss are not listed on the 8-track identification charts.

4,12 and 19 released on Nashville Skyline.

5. So what’s the up-shot of this? The 5 or 6 people who were lucky enough to get it have an exclusive little conversation about it while the majority of fans sit back and twiddle their thumbs?!

Eh. Disgusted at this one.

Anyway, I’ve said my piece. I’m not one to rant like but this is majorly unfair on the people who fork out 2 and 3 times a year to support him.

Zagonga and ted321 like this.
  6. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Probably more old news, but checking Heylin's Recording Sessions and he says two unknown songs were at the first session (?). One is "blues" (presumably WR) and the other apparently an instrumental. These things don't really gel for me until I have audio files to hear.

Back to that proposed "Runnin" tracklist, just so weird that "Runnin" would be considered for use over "Western Road" (or at all) in that era. I guess WR had it's revenge in 2019 becoming "official" after not having as much as a working title.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  7. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

No offense, but you’re acting as if this is the first time Team Bob has done this. You know this is the fourth time they’ve issued a physical set like this, right?

There was a ‘62 collection (4cds); a ‘63 collection (6lps); and a ‘64 collection (9lps) that preceded this ‘69 set. Did you acquire those, but not this one? Or were you unaware of those? Again - not meaning to pick at an open wound, but they have done this several times before...

bobcat, Mrsharko and RayS like this.
  8. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

No tracking status, but order status is 'awaiting fulfillment'.

9. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

My order status is shipped.

10. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

I can't quite follow the back-and-forth regarding the Cash songs that may or may not differ between the two official sets and the circulating boots.

Any idea if there are any true Nashville Skyline recordings that circulate that were missed on Travelin' Thru or 1969 AC?

asdf35 likes this.
  11. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Spent some time today organizing that stuff. Luckily, it's mostly all here spread between these 2019 releases. "One More Night (Take 1)" is out there with some casual studio chat between Bob & the band at the intro/outro. The 50th Set includes the take in perfect quality, but cuts out the talking. (Why?)...

Another Self Portrait has two NS tracks. "I Threw It All Away (Take 1)" is a different mix than Travelin', while "Country Pie (Take 1)" isn't on the 2019 sets.

Then there is the NS quad mix. I suppose the original vinyl is out there if you can play it, there are also a few digital versions mixed down to stereo. It's funky and not for everyone, but I like hearing it. "Country Pie" has a longer outro (maybe +20 seconds of guitar), and that specific track can be found tagged on to many old unofficial CDs.

As far the Cash sessions, that's beyond my scope!

RayS likes this.
  12. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

Thank you. You confirmed what I thought as well.

Could the short breakdown of "Country Pie" on the Another Self Portrait set be the believed to be missing "Take 1"? Perhaps the person documenting the session tapes that it was a proper take instead of labeling it as a false start or breakdown.

I may take a crack at the Cash tracks...

asdf35 and LonesomeDayBlues like this.
  13. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I relate.

So was I annoyed at the cold clinical business of it all.
    But now I have a download and a clone and it doesn't feel so cold.
    But I'm still annoyed at the cold clinical uncaring business of it all.

Hang in there. The music you've already bought is still worth listening to.

I'd say you earned it.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    Willie McTell likes this.
  14. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

I tend to get a little concerned about the true recording order when CO numbers are not consecutive, but it is certainly not unprecedented. It would seem most likely that the 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. slot was used for "To Be Alone With You" and "I Threw It All Away" and the 9 p.m. to midnight session used for "One More Night" and "Lay Lady Lay". The CO number sequence suggests that "Western Road/Blues" was a jam to use up the time remaining before the union rates for the Nashville Cats sky-rocketed after midnight, but I for one hold Michael Krogsgaard's diligent research in high regard. If his evidence points to a "Blues" with an out of sequence CO number being recorded, if you like, mid-session, then he's most likely correct. It's a shame for us that MK has other things to do these days. What a great contribution he made...

asdf35 and DeeThomaz like this.
  15. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Might the explanation be that the track wasn't initially granted a CO # because it was an impromptu piece that stood no chance of release ... and then someone decided it was better to cover all bases once the session had ended?

16. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I did Camp America as a student in California in 1981 and I remember a local station playing a Self Portrait track and the DJ stating it was Dylan's best album.
    I think the point I was making was that I certainly got the impression that the prevailing orthodoxy in the early and even late 70s in the UK was that the Nashville period was not great Dylan.
    The recordings Dylan made in Nashville from 1966 to 1969 have always in my opinion had a great sound. I actually use Nashville Skyline when checking out any new hi fi stuff I have bought.

George P likes this.
  17. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Moderator Note:

Guys, another reminder not to publicly solicit or post how to obtain illegal downloads or pirate copies of officially released content!

One member has been banned for posting a direct link to an illegal download of this set, another has been issued with a three day suspension for reposting that direct link in a quote. Two other members have been issued with Inappropriate Behaviour warnings for thanking those that posted the link, instead they should have reported these posts and the original links.

If you see any links to, info on how to obtain illegal downloads, or pirate copies of officially released material, please REPORT it!

Natural E, Glass Candy and Percy Song like this.
  18. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

As a gumby fan of NS I bought a quad vinyl some 30 odd years ago but have not played it in a long time. I do not have a quad set up though.
    I shall have to look at SHF for information on playing quad through a stereo system.

Barnyard Symphony and asdf35 like this.
  19. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Yes, most likely. It would be nice to have access to the studio logs to see if the CO number(s) were allocated later. First world problem... :)

RayS likes this.
  20. First of all, I’ve had the night to sleep on this so feel much better, although I still absolutely do night agree with or like how they’ve done this.

So this is my last rant, and it’s not to take away from others enjoyment or to spread negativity, it’s that many of us feel excluded and left out here and we care a hell of a lot about Dylan’s work.

So,
    It’s actually the FIFTH time they’ve done it if you count The Cutting Edge. And no, I wasn’t in a position to acquire any of those, usually because they always seem to drop when I’m caught up with work or life or a combination of both and more.

The reason I’m acting like it’s “the first time” is because the other four times I justified it to myself and made excuses for Dylan/Columbia.

Here’s what’s really set me off though; this was the one year where they didn’t release a 6-disc deluxe for the bootleg series, I was delighted with the Netflix documentary and the live 75 box was balanced and fell within a price range that mean’t it was relatively easy to buy without breaking the bank.

I felt it afforded fans an opportunity to be all in inclusive which is how it should be. Everyone was appeased this year and I thought “fair play” to Columbia. But then they drop an extremely limited CD for £20 containing material that could have been included on this years bootleg series after all.

And it just feels like; “We gave you a very affordable and economical bootleg series this year so now we’re just gonna release this little 2 disc set that perfectly compliments it but it’s extremely limited so it’s every fan for themselves, you may get it if you’re extremely lucky but you probably won’t. But meh whatever, it’s on you.”

I understand that Dylan/Columbia have always had this streak and that it’s to salvage copyright protection, but Dylan fans are completists and they know well hence bootleg series, live archives, compilations etc.

21. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

why complain? you dont have to pay an extra 20 dollars for this stuff. I think they did the right thing.
    who ever wrote the release that runnin was going to be on the 73 album must have been playing a prank.

22. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Do I have a record for latest purchase of this?

I got a copy TODAY from a European retailer. Slightly above the U.K. price because of the extra postage, but nothing near the eBay prices...I imagine I paid pretty much the same as U.S. buyers from Badlands.

The retailer is sold out now btw, so sorry I can’t help with additional copies.

But it shows that new, sealed copies are still out there in shops seven days later, and this most certainly was NOT sold out at Badlands in 20 seconds.

23. kuddukan

kuddukan Forum Resident

This release mostly seems repetitive to me, which is I guess why it wasn't just included in the BS15 set. I supposed they were going for a streamlined approach on the mainstream release. Because the contents here do offer a lot of repetition.

musicaner and hodgo like this.
  24. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

The allotment that Badlands had for sale via their online store was certainly sold-out in under a minute. I haven't seen that they offered any additional copies in their store after that initial on sale.

Other stores have received some copies of this release, but the only claim that Badlands made was that they were the only UK store that would stock it. Which I think has proven to be true.

Imagine70, DrProgQuest and hodgo like this.
  25. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

not something that will merit repeated listenings thats for sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.