BOB DYLAN 50th Anniversary Collection 1969

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Darren Smith, Dec 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Runnin feels like an odd omission on BS15, I also think Blue Moon would have been nice. Otherwise lots of these make sense to leave off. Still the biggest crime of BS15 is not including everything they had from JWH

One thing I noticed: It's cool to hear more takes of the "bongos" arrangement for Lay Lady Lay — why does the percussion sound so much more close-mic'd on these passes than it does on the released version? Were these subsequent takes? I know Buttrey famously used a lone overhead to record that part, but it sounds like these takes were fully mic'd

ExHead, joannenugent and SPARTACUS like this.
  2. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

361 Euros on eBay right now.

I paid 45 Euros today for mine.

:righton:

DmitriKaramazov, mrjinks and hodgo like this.
  3. DrProgQuest

DrProgQuest Forum Resident

How did you track down that one in a retail store?

Re the Badlands stock, THEIR allotment was most definitely gone in about 20 sec, as I had it in my cart within 5 sec and was shut out. The previous posts from those of us who missed out confirm that. Obviously Dylan's org spread other copies around at other retail places.

4. acetboy

acetboy Forum Resident

On disc 1 tracks 1-5 and tracks 11-16 are from mp3’s.
    On disc 2 it’s tracks 14-17.

Now I guess I better actually listen.

PADYBU likes this.
  5. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

Take A Message to Mary and Blue Moon are nice.

ted321, DmitriKaramazov and SPARTACUS like this.
  6. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

There is some other nice stuff on it, but some of it gets cut off. Some nice Lay Lady Lays.
    After a few listens Ive changed my mind on this set, its actually good. Some good stuff on it.
    Green light on spending a grand on it.:righton:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    bobcat likes this.
  7. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

huh?

8. kwhisperer

kwhisperer Forum Resident

Granted I'm listening to a copy but....two-second gaps on every single track. Is is this way on the original CDs or did somebody MP3 what I heard before FLACing?

9. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

i think the guy is saying is some of the stuff ON THE "ORIGINAL CDS"
    themselves is mp3 sourced.
    which kind of makes sense.

10. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

When all is said and done, I'm happy to have this material. But really and truly, it should have all been released as part of Traveling Thru. It could have been a 5 disc limited edition deluxe set. These outtakes could have gotten a bit more TLC instead of weird edits and abrupt endings.

Tell Me That It Isn't True has to be my favorite outtake arrangement (the versions here and on BS15 being similar enough). But hearing the sessions for Lay Lady Lay is also a treat. As far as the extended Cash sessions go, I continue to stand by One Too Many Mornings being an excellent duet. And now their version of I Still Miss Someone has grown on me. Running is a good outtake but I can understand why it was left off Another Self Portrait. It doesn't match the vibe that set had going on. But not including it on BS 15? That's a headscratcher. Those backing vocals would have had to have been brought up front and center if it was to be released on the 1973 Dylan album.

Finally, regarding where Western Road fits in the sessions, it was found on the Lay Lady Lay tape that went up for auction on eBay.

11. I have the Quad of this as well. I should bust it out and listen to it again.

ted321, Flaming Torch and Richard--W like this.
  12. I immediately loved this collection the instant I heard it. Dylan's voice sounds vulnerable, and I love it! I loved the disjointed elements to it as well. Will there be a copyright collection for New Morning I wonder. Here is hoping for a Billy BS16 edition next on vinyl.

13. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

The first ones appeared on Discogs for around 700 U$. Pity these a$$holes got hold of a copy. Or even worse, did they get hold of a pirate copy already?

14. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Making clear: I mean they are selling real ones at extreme prices, I am not referring to bootlegs.

15. joannenugent

joannenugent Forum Resident

Take the tracking number they gave you and search on the Royal Mail website.

When I just click on the link Badlands provided, the search goes through “After Ship” and indeed is listed as “Pending”. When I take the same tracking number and search on the official Royal Mail website, I see my order has already left the UK and is now in US customs :thumbsup:

16. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

That's quite fast actually. Mail from the US to Europe can take weeks

hodgo likes this.
  17. joannenugent

I am not holding my breath. Last time I ordered something from the EU during the holidays it sat in customs in New York City for a good 3 weeks.....and that was express mail....

Badlands shipped the item with signature required, though, so at least I am pretty confident it will show up eventually :laugh:

DeeThomaz, hodgo and EdwinM like this.
  18. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

I used to order a lot from Amazon US, but nowadays Dutch customs check and charge all their stuff.

19. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

500 Euros on eBay now :shake:

20. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

It's even higher on discogs.

21. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Someone wants to make an easy buck.

By the way, how to recognize if this is the real thing?

22. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

Concur.
    Very frustrating.

23. joannenugent

That is one area I have been lucky! I have never been charged any customs on any international order (although I think in the US, the purchase price has to be pretty high before that happens).

Another interesting thing, is whenever I order an item from Japan by express mail, I get it within 48 hrs. Every time. For reference, I can fly to London in 6.5 hrs, but a flight to Tokyo is 15 hrs.

24. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

You have indeed been very lucky!

The price is actually anything over £15 GB! Items above that can incur added VAT plus customs and handling charges, the latter themselves are a minimum of £8 and can be higher depending on the item price and courrier involved this side of the pond.

25. ExHead

ExHead Forum Resident

Totally agree, especially about the JWH material. The NS songs just aren’t strong enough for me to care about alternate versions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.