BOB DYLAN 50th Anniversary Collection 1969

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Darren Smith, Dec 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I had no idea Badlands existed here in the UK until this thread, so they may actually gain a customer going forward.
    Where do you live that you can still (or need to) cut your lawn at this of year??

bobcat and dormouse like this.
  2. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

Not really. They aren’t trying to stop bootlegs...but instead are locking down their ownership of the material and not letting it fall into PD in the EU.

I’m sure Sony is fully aware that release will be shared and sold by the various bootleg labels. And I’m also pretty sure that they are unconcerned at this point.

bobcat likes this.
  3. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I was lucky I ordered this 69 thing at 9am having turned on the radio to get the bleeps. Went through ok with an order reference going into my email box.
    Lucky for me. I am sorry about other fans who missed out. The set will certainly appear on bootleg and some grey area labels may try and squeeze it out as a grey area release (there are loads on Amazon UK that don't fit the EU law at all like Neil Young's 74 Bottom Line show - not a radio broadcast at all).
    Depending on how many there are of the Sony 69 thing and whether any other EU countries had a release (?) will define the secondary market price. And that is my big point and what mystifies me. All the real money for this release will come to folk selling it second hand. Sony won't make much, a grey area release was unlikely (they do not have the tapes) and Badlands UK now have some bad press. If Sony came to me and said here are the only 50 copies of a Dylan cd. You can sell them for £10. I would have told them to get stuffed as 1. I don't want my phone and online systems crashing and 2. you know what - it just ain't worth the hassle you can make more money selling something else.

dormouse likes this.
  4. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Guess what?
    They just put the material into the hands of the bootleggers.

Sean, Beaneydave and keef285 like this.
  5. keef285

keef285 Forum Resident

Don't shoot the messenger.....they were given a very limited number.

Sean, jlf, mrjinks and 6 others like this.
  6. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Actually I have just checked, he is not mowing the lawn but using one of those garden hoovers to clear up leaves from the lawn! I did that myself a week or so back.

I remember the name Badlands from way back but have never investigated them until yesterday. Sadly the first contact went down badly so that is it I'm afraid.

7. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Will we ever know how many??

8. Flaming Torch

My dogs all bark. They bite if annoyed and will be more like an angry polar bear if kicked. They do not mow the lawn and it is very very wet and grey here in Shenley where I am having coffee. No one here cares a jot about Dylan, copyright and maybe lawns as well.
    The music from this release will be out there somewhere when the first copies land in the hands of joe public.

I am looking forward to Running from this set of recordings and am a fan of that era anyway.

Oh for folk to cheer themselves up have a look at Bob on the piano singing with Cash in 1966 with the late great Richard Manuel in attendance. It is a shame the great Bob Willis has just passed away (wonderful England cricketer and Dylan fan) I would have given my 69 thing to him if he had missed out.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  9. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

And you apparently knew about it before anyone else around these parts... oh, the irony! :)

Well, I suppose the clone will sit nicely alongside the other clones on the shelf. I really hope the bootleggers will reproduce the packaging and the labels, too, they looked pretty good to me. I'd much rather have given my cash to TeamBob but...

No gripes with Badlands at all. They'd be happy to sell a million copies if they were given a million copies to sell. They've sold the copies they were given, in a fair way and at a reasonable price. I imagine it is very good for their business that they were chosen as the only supplier; the other sets were given to multiple suppliers. It's a bricks-and-mortar store run by people who are passionate about the music. I kind of wish I lived next door.

I still would like an official one, though.. :realmad:

Sean, Maranatha5585, jlf and 6 others like this.
  10. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Uh-oh.
    Message from Badlands that last night's con order has shipped.
    Now I am angry.
    The neighbor's dog is going to pay dearly for this and I'm not kidding.
    Goodnight.

dormouse likes this.
  11. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

I know, I know. But this was a very poor first impression. Buy something from us and we'll put you in a lottery.

12. DrProgQuest

DrProgQuest Forum Resident

It couldn't be more than 100. They were sold out within 20-30 seconds.

13. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

"I imagine they have lost an awful lot of potential future customers because of this" - as per above, I doubt it very much.

Speak for yourself and yourself only!

Thankfully, most reasonable people will understand that it's not Badlands' fault at all.

As someone else said they did everything they could to dampen expectations and underlined the fact that it would sell out extremely quickly.

Going forward I expect you will now aim your anger at those who are really responsible for this situation and boycott all Dylan and Sony product from now on.....:)

14. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

I saw what you did there!

No, I only tried to order 1!

15. Regandron

Regandron Forum Resident

I think I can hear your dogs barking... can you get them to knock it off.. I've had a trying morning...

Actually I'd be even more annoyed if I found the Cash duets vaguely listenable, but I actually much prefer disks 1 and 3 of the BS15 collection, so I guess I am not missing out on much.

Lonson and Flaming Torch like this.
  16. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

If Badlands have lost out it's because so few of these were pressed. They could have sold a lot more.

Once again: it's not their fault!!!

17. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

"I'm not the only one" - source?

hodgo likes this.
  18. Flaming Torch

I love disc one from BS15 and play it constantly. Both the JWH tracks and the NS tracks are absolutely sweet Marie wonderful. They should have put Running on the set (it was slated for Dylan once I believe) and left the rest for a RSD thing next year. My guess re the forthcoming material is it will be underwhelming.
    The dogs are quiet now!

Regandron likes this.
  19. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

OK, point taken, although clearly I am not the only one. I'm sort of more irritated that they used the opportunity to grab a sale to check that your account worked. That wasn't really on in my book.

I will move on and as people above have said it sadly plays into the hands of the grey market. I like Bob and would like him to benefit rather someone unconnected with the production of the music.

20. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Mine has just shipped too! Well played Badlands. I fell for it!

As Ian Hunter sang: "Once bitten, twice shy..."

I'm now going to put Travellin' Thru back on the shelf and make myself a coffee. And perhaps shed a tear for what might have been!

21. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Sony, Bob and Badlands haven't lost out. Sony and Dylan have protected the copyright on the tracks, which was the aim of the exercise. Badlands maintains it's rep as the trusted place for Dylan exclusives in Sony's eyes.

The few fans who want to hear every recorded second have missed out, sure, unless they got a copy.

tstrapac, bobcat and hodgo like this.
  22. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

You're not from Yorkshire are you?

Nothing would prise brass out of my cold dead hands on buying something just for the sake of it. :laugh:

I just took my chance and tried to order it and if I missed out so be it, I'm still not counting my chickens on receiving a copy because I've had things like this cancelled before.

bobcat and Flaming Torch like this.
  23. michpom

michpom Forum Resident

I was connected to the Badlands page, refreshed it at 09 00 01, and was able to place the order; but when I finished to enter my credit card numbers (about 10 seconds later), it was sold out!
    Very surprising indeed...

24. kronning

kronning Forum Resident

Don't feel bad. Within 5 seconds of on sale time, I had one in my cart. A couple of seconds later in checkout, "not enough in stock to fill my order" of one. Gone in 10 seconds.
    Now we just have to wait and learn how to find a 'copy' on the Internet by other means. :agree:

john hp likes this.
  25. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Above.

Anyway time to move on. Coffee calls.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.