BOB DYLAN 50th Anniversary Collection 1970 3cd set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mbd77, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All! Thread Starter

I also wonder how close Bob’s version of ‘Little Moses’ is to what he played live 22 years later:

Floater, warewolf95 and keef285 like this.
  2. Aar Gal

Aar Gal Monkberry Moon Delight

Are there any “new” Dylan originals on this?

3. bobfan

bobfan Forum Resident

Really disappointed they’ve done this again. Any pms from the fortunate few would be much appreciated. Does anybody have a list of EU stores who may be stocking this?

yesteryear and mikeja75 like this.
  4. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

when is it actually being released?

5. keef285

keef285 Forum Resident

It's being released this Friday 4th December.

Floater, Sean and musicaner like this.
  6. Friday 4th December.

Sean and musicaner like this.
  7. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

thx

8. Mbd77

No. Loads of interesting and unexpected covers though.

9. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Does this include those recordings discovered on the acetates sold by Jeff Gold/Record Mecca? He mentioned a gorgeous "gospel" version of "Tomorrow Is a Long Time," so I'm hoping that's finally available (and with good sound).

10. Mbd77

Unfortunately, just my opinion, but Jeff Gold is not a real music collector or curator. He’s a music Ephemera dealer. Anyone with any rarity is almost certainly guaranteed that it’ll never be seen or heard of again if they sell it to him, or it’ll turn up in a frame on eBay for $1000.
    The version of ‘Tomorrow Is A Long Time’ has been about for ages. It’s this one:

https://youtu.be/in5rMmb7kXo

and not particularly ‘Gospel’.

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  11. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

I missed. I had no idea the release was imminent. As a fan of both Dylan and Neil, the reaction to the super limited release of "1970" is muted next to the beating Neil took for releasing just 3,000 Archives Vol. 2 copies. And Neil's release date and the number of copies was known ahead of time.

12. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

1 - this is ONLY being released for copyright protection purposes (they don't want to release it at all)

2 - they already released everything they actually wanted to release from this era on the 'Another Self-Portrait' release.

3 - releasing this widely would (or at least the record company probably assumes it would) ultimately confuse/damage the "Bootleg Series" *brand*. Outtakes are one thing - but outtakes of outtakes could be perceived as going too far. They could fear that if they put these out widely, that many people who normally might be interested in buying the next widely released 'Bootleg Series' album might become disinterested in buying the next (or perhaps ANY subsequent) 'Bootleg Series' release if they had bought an overkill release like this (outtakes of outtakes) and assumed (based on that evidence alone) that the barrel has been completely scraped clean.

4 - this is ONLY being released for copyright protection purposes (they don't want to release it at all) [an important enough point to bear repeating]

qwerty, Jackstraw78, KAJ1971 and 13 others like this.
  13. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

Ugh, a kind of boring blues butchering of this lovely tune. I guess women going "aa-oo" in background is enough for "gospel" to some.

musicaner likes this.
  14. Mbd77

6th Oct 2020:
    :righton:

kuddukan likes this.
  15. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

Someone will correct me, but wouldn't dumping it on a digital site for a half hour be sufficient? MUST they manufacture and sell a certain number of physical objects?

16. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. isolation can harm you terribly

Oh God Damn not another
    Missed out again.
    I hate these! (the way they're made)
    Well I have the first three (boot versions) and those are all that matters, I am going to tell myself (they're certainly the best years)
    Still....
    argh!

17. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Why buy 2 copies of an unbelievably limited release?

tms766, bobcat, Sean and 4 others like this.
  18. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. isolation can harm you terribly

I wonder how his version of I Can't Help But Wonder Where I'm Bound is

19. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

It's mind-boggling why they're not doing this especially for the Bootleg series.

Sean likes this.
  20. Mbd77

Need to make some room on my shelf. :cool:

[​IMG]

21. NewWarden

NewWarden Forum Resident

1. I Can’t Help but Wonder Where I’m Bound
    2. Universal Soldier – Take 1
    11. Come All You Fair and Tender Ladies – Take 1
    12. Things About Comin’ My Way – Takes 2 & 3
    15. Come a Little Bit Closer – Take 2
    21. Alligator Man
    3. Jamaica Farewell
    5. Long Black Veil
    16. I Forgot to Remember to Forget 1

Wowwww, seven years later we will finally know if it's devastating that at least some of these were left off of Another Self Portrait or if it'll be largely understandable like the 1969 copyrights versus Travelin' Thru.

primoridal_ooze likes this.
  22. appleboy

appleboy Forum Resident

Because I did not know if my orders would be fulfilled.

Sean, Big Blue and timnor like this.
  23. Snaphappy

Snaphappy Colour Me Grumpy!

fair comments..But..

They are releasing these tracks to protect the copyright... so putting these into the Public Domain so to speak are going to guarantee a shed load of illicit digital copies being made to fill the “habit” of thousands, maybe tens of thousands of collectors who desire out-takes of out-takes.

so why not just sell them as a 50th Anniversary
    Collection at a reasonable price.

24. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

While looking for info on this 1970 collection, I learned there was a 1969 one last year that I totally missed!

Sean and revolution_vanderbilt like this.
  25. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

I already know about this version, I too have had it for a while, but as you know Dylan often records radically different arrangements of a song at the very same session, and with more than one take of "Tomorrow Is a Long Time" listed on the session logs, it's not implausible that a different, "gospel" arrangement does indeed exist.