BOB DYLAN 50th Anniversary Collection 1970 3cd set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mbd77, Nov 30, 2020.

1. michpom

michpom Forum Resident

Very well done anyway....
    - but the start of the single is really abrupt!

2. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

They’re not.

3. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Is '1970' the only yearly unreleased Dylan retrospective?

4. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Yes, a bit of a let-down to know it was faked. You can't help feeling, though, that there must have been a bit of noodling at the beginning of the official release which has been edited out, like the "Danny Boy" intro to "Sign on the Window" which was on one of the West Houston St. Acetates and "Another Self Portrait".

michpom likes this.
  5. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

It's the only one to receive a mainstream release, although Cutting Edge also provided a comprehensive overview of the 65/66 period.

There have of course been copyright collections since 2012 that cover unreleased recordings since 1962.

6. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Thanks.

"There have of course been copyright collections since 2012 that cover unreleased recordings since 1962."

Do you know the titles of these?

7. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

dave63 and Jack White like this.
  8. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

That is only the first of them, covering 1962.

These are the others:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The 1965 set was an MP3 download only, no physical release, provided to purchasers of The Cutting Edge Collector’s Edition.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    Sean, pcox80, DmitriKaramazov and 2 others like this.
  9. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Bink likes this.
  10. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Although I haven't heard the previous sets, it's worth noting that they generally come from a variety of sources - eg studio outtakes, live recordings, home tapes.

I wonder if one of the reason for the 1970 set receiving a mainstream release is that the whole set is made up of studio sessions which generally have quite a consistent sound.

11. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

It was the four-figure asking prices on eBay for the original copyright set that made Sony sit up and take notice. The presence of George Harrison on the set made this one highly desirable to both hardcore Dylan and Beatles collectors. I don’t believe that any future copyright sets will have quite the same perfect storm of collectibility that this one engendered.

Sean, pcox80, planckera and 4 others like this.
  12. Fabsmith

Fabsmith Forum Resident

I am enjoying this collection and might finally pick up the New Morning album as a result. Dylan and/or Columbia know how to market product well!
    I did want this for the collaboration with Harrison. I hope the 50th of All Things Must Pass has the same kind of presentation as far as session outtakes go.
    But the solid production and musicianship of Dylan 1970 is a major plus for me. This is worth spending $17 to get!

pcox80 and fallbreaks like this.
  13. unwantedman

unwantedman Active Member

Percy, what are your thoughts on the presence of the bass guitar? also spuriously added by the bootleggers? Maybe it's on the single release, but mixed way down and inaudible?

Floater and michpom like this.
  14. Kevin Davis

Kevin Davis EQUIPMENT PROFILE INCOMPLETE

You won't regret it!

This era of Dylan is a gift that just keeps on giving. I'm a little sad that the well is probably dry at this point, but I'm so thankful we have it all, and that this set was widely released.

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  15. michpom

michpom Forum Resident

The Genuine Bootleg Series Take 2 (Disc 2) has a version with the bass guitar audible. May be if the piano intro is really a fake this bootleg was the source (?) ...

16. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

I don't hear a bass on the mono single or the stereo version on "Pure Dylan" which either means Charlie wasn't playing bass on that song, or his bass has been mixed out, or I just can't hear it.

17. elsanto

elsanto Forum Resident

Just in case anyone else runs into this...
    My CD #3 would not play. I removed it and found a big spot of glue on the outer edge. Once I got that glue removed, it played fine.
    Yes indeed, packaging for CD's is definitely getting worse and worse.

18. Kevin Davis

Kevin Davis EQUIPMENT PROFILE INCOMPLETE

Yeah, my discs (and the booklet) were smudged with glue too.

elsanto likes this.
  19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

This collection os fantastic. And the packaging is very cool. Matches the feel of the set.

Is there a chance in hell that they will now re-release the others?

giantleech, The Bard, Floater and 3 others like this.
  20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I thought the complaints might emerge. They finally gave a Copyright edition to the general public, and at a very low price, and people gripe?

21. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

With the official 1970 set now released officially in the US, has anyone taken a crack at updating the list of all of the released tracks from 1970 in the order in which they were recorded and their sources? There was a great pipe delimited version that was fantasic, but would likely need to be updated at this point.

22. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Hoffman Forum rules clearly state that we’re required to complain about glue smudges!

:yikes: :biglaugh:

“Say goodnight, Gracie!”

The MEZ, elsanto, mikee and 1 other person like this.
  23. michpom

michpom Forum Resident

Contribution to the study of Spanish Is The Loving Tongue (2 June 1970, take 2) with piano intro as in the bootleg CD 'New Morning Acetates & Sessions Remastered':

If we compare in Audacity the representation of the 3 audio objects: piano intro / solo (middle of the song) / piano ending of the song
    we see that the 9 first seconds of the intro are identical to the solo;
    the next 8" are similar to the piano ending of the song .
    Then the solo is repeated till the singing starts.

Se definitely a studio (bootleg?) work: the 'piano intro' is actually a mix of 3 things: piano solo/piano ending/solo repeated.
    But VERY well done!

Floater likes this.
  24. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

My disc 3 was covered in glue bits also, in interest of full disclosure

25. Troyh

Troyh Forum Resident

Sorry, if this has been asked earlier, but what are the chances of a vinyl press?
    Thanks in advance.