BOB DYLAN 50th Anniversary Collection 1970 3cd set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mbd77, Nov 30, 2020.

1. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

Just giving the third disc a spin after a break, and it's a joy to listen to. It could easily be the fourth disc of Another Self Portrait.

Crazy to think that this release consists of off-cuts from an off-cut collection (BS 10) of off-cuts (Dylan)!!!
    And crazy to think that the superb B-Side "Spanish Is the Loving Tongue" is on none of them!!!

2. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Given how well larger "box set" editions of the Bootleg Series wound up selling, the 1970 set really should have been included as extra discs on the expanded version of Another Self Portrait. I guess the upshot of waiting another 7 or 8 years is that the current 1970 set is a much more affordable purchase.

asdf35 and Psychedelic Good Trip like this.
  3. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

It is on Masterpieces, though.

4. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

About the same thing happened to me. The 1969 Copyright set was unknown to me until the 1970 set was released. I had to do some searching. . .

5. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Hopefully, it caused an internal re-assessment of the series by the business suits at the top. They were scaling-down, which resulted in these piecemeal 1970 collections. The material and demand is there for large sets. It's unique to Dylan (and artists of that calibre).

Need to send Mike Ehrmantraut to Rosen's office with a message.

[​IMG]

6. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Per "Searching For A Gem", Spanish Is The Loving Tongue was also released in 2011 on the Sony Music Germany compilation Pure Dylan: An Intimate Look At Bob Dylan (see 2011) - the first occurrence of this performance to be genuinely in stereo!

7. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

It's true, and it sounds terrific on the Pure Dylan CD.

8. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Can you share your playlist?

Floater and warewolf95 like this.
  9. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

As requested, this is my playlist for studio outtakes between 1961 - 66. I also included non-album singles. So this acts as a Past Masters / Stray Cats for Bob's music in this period:

1. He Was a Friend of Mine
    2. Man on the Street
    3. House Carpenter
    4. Going to New Orleans
    5. Sally Gal
    6. Rambling, Gambling Willie
    7. The Death of Emmett Till
    8. Talkin' John Birch Paranoid Blues
    9. (I Heard That) Lonesome Whistle
    10. Mixed Up Confusion
    11. Rocks and Gravel
    12. Let Me Die in My Footsteps
    13. Talkin' Hava Negeilah Blues
    14. Baby Please Don't Go
    15. Milk Cow Calf's Blues
    16. Witchita (Going to Louisiana)
    17. Talkin' Bear Mountain Picnic
    18. Baby, I'm In The Mood For You
    19. Quit Your Low Down Ways
    20. Worried Blues
    21. That's All Right Mama
    22. Kingsport Town
    23. Hero Blues
    24. Whatcha Gonna Do
    25. Walls of Red Wing
    26. Seven Curses
    27. Farewell
    28. Bob Dylan's New Orleans Rag
    29. Eternal Circle
    30. Paths of Victory
    31. Moonshiner
    32. Only a Hobo
    33. Percy's Song
    34. Lay Down Your Weary Tune
    35. Suze (The Cough Song)
    36. Denise
    37. Mama, You Been On My Mind
    38. I'll Keep It With Mine (biograph version)
    39. Farewell Angelina
    40. If You Gotta Go, Go Now
    41. You Don't Have To Do That
    42. California
    43. Sitting on a Barbed Wire Fence
    44. Positively 4th Street (single)
    45. Jet Pilot
    46. Can You Please Crawl Out My Window (single)
    47. I Wanna Be Your Lover
    48. She's Your Lover Now (piano version).

I could of course make this longer by including live tracks, Broadside recordings, Whitmark demos etc but decided to limit this to the studio recordings.

10. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing.

I always love to see what different playlists that we Dylan Fans make, Also looking at your list makes me want to dig back into those songs again.

Sean Murdock and Bink like this.
  11. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I made the playlist because I was finding it frustrating having to play these songs across various compilations and kept hoping that they would mop them up on one release, but alas that never happened.

Because they were on different compilations I found I didn't play them as much as I would have liked. They are played regularly now!

DmitriKaramazov and alchemy like this.
  12. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

1970 actually contains my favorite versions ( among many) of "Went to See the Gypsy" and "Sign on the Window.'
    Worth it for those two alone.

13. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

Agreed on these! Picked this up mostly thinking the tracks with multiple versions that had been released would be maybe one and dones for me. But there are a few that are my preferred versions. So glad they released this copyright collection as a wide retail release.

markreed, SteveFff and JoeF. like this.
  14. DotKom11

DotKom11 Forum Resident

Which versions of these two tracks are your favorites? I want to see if I agree.

15. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

There are multiple versions, but the one version of each song that were released as official videos on YouTube are the best in my opinion

DotKom11 likes this.
  16. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I didn't expect much from the 1969 and 1970 Copyright
    Collections because, because, because the 1962, 1963,
    1964 Collections were released unmastered, heavily cut,
    overly compressed, sometimes sped up, and with gaps
    and fades imposed between the tracks. The Live 1965
    download was the absolute worst in terms of these
    offenses as well as in the worst sound quality whereas
    the actual mono tapes are excellent. So naturally I
    expected the 1969 and 1970 Collections to be more of
    the same. But nope. Both sets are properly done, apart
    from the cherrypicking.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  17. johnnyb1964

johnnyb1964 Treats please!

Any news on whether they are going to release anymore copyright collections similar to 1970? I mean wide release. Thanks!

Hep Alien and timnor like this.
  18. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

No news. 1971 and 1972 were lean years in terms of formal Dylan recording work, but 1973 saw more activity. Doubtful they would consider a single CD with unreleased outtakes from the Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid and Planet Waves sessions to have wide commercial appeal. My guess is that it will be another very limited release. As for next year, all of the 1974 studio work has already been issued, so the focus would have to be on the live recordings from Tour ‘74.

19. johnnyb1964

johnnyb1964 Treats please!

Thanks for the update, Robcar! I keep my eyes out for “Bob Dylan 1974!”

SteveFff likes this.
  20. bem

bem Forum Resident

21. Kelvin Sherlock

Kelvin Sherlock Well-Known Member

Since there are already circulating outtakes of the PGABTK sessions, at a bare minimum there should be a CDR of Peco's Blues sold in an alleyway behind a German record store to retain EU copyright. JWH was the only material without a copyright dump (then made it onto TT, go figure) but I thought that was because there were no circulating outtakes.

22. Jbeck57143

Jbeck57143 Forum Resident

That was the reason they gave for there being no John Wesley Harding copyright collection -- there were no circulating outtakes; but they must have forgotten the other reason for these things: to keep the exclusive rights to the recordings so that if they did release any of them no one else in the EU could as well, which, theoretically could happen with the few outtakes included on Travelin' Thru. Maybe that's one reason there were so few of them included even though there was plenty of room for more. There's only about two hours of music on Travelin' Thru.

Sean Murdock and Heart of Gold like this.
  23. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Incredibly, after being on the fence about both, I got Travelin' Thru' and 1970 in a charity shop yesterday along with a Blonde On Blonde SACD. It's surprising what people give away, especially so quickly as these aren't cheap. It made my day!

Is 1970 the only one of these 'year' copyright extension things to have been released on CD?

24. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

It’s the only one to get a wide commercial release.

There is a 2CD set for 1969 — with a different track listing to Travelin’ Thru — which was only released in very limited numbers.

25. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

I've been ignoring this release for some reason. But I'm a huge fan of the Self Portrait / New Morning era. Is this worth getting when I've already got Another Self Portrait? And are these the famous Bromberg sessions?