Bob Dylan Album-by-Album/Song-by-Song 1963-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Komakino___, Apr 27, 2023.

1. Walking Antique

Walking Antique Nothing is incomprehensible

The remix done for "Is It Rolling, Bob? A Reggae Tribute To Bob Dylan Vol. 1".

2. Walking Antique

Walking Antique Nothing is incomprehensible

An attempt at a Dub version by "Doctor Dread" Gary Himelfarb of suburban Washington, DC.
    Frankly, I think it's awful, not dreadful. A non-Jamaican's idea of how Dub is made: just randomly twiddling knobs and faders.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2024
    Komakino___, Brian x and bjlefebvre like this.
  3. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

It appears we have yet another divisive album on our hands.
    Why is this?
    Can't we all get along?

Komakino___ and Brian x like this.
  4. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

Lol...I get along much better here, the tolerance level is much higher than over at the N Y thread, this is the best thread going.

5. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Ditto that.

J. Frank Parnell and Amnion like this.
  6. Endicott

Endicott Forum Resident

Watching the Orioles here. Current pitcher is Dylan Tate.

He almost fell apart on us tonight, but he managed to get the third out without damage.

I'll see myself out now... :)

7. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

He sure left the mound in style. (Vanity didn't get the best of him.)

Brian x, Endicott and Komakino___ like this.
  8. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

Can't hear you. Got my Bootleg Series Vol 13 (Trouble No More) playing too loud.

"I And I" Best song on the album for me, but I agree with others - it points more to what this album could have been than it actually is. I actually prefer these lyrics to those of "Jokerman" just because they have more room to breathe, whereas "Jokerman" is so dense lyrically that by the time you can upack one line three other lines have gone past. I like the vocal delivery but still wish the music had a touch more grit. It also has one of those weak endings where it sounds like Dylan decided to end the song half a minute before the rest of the band realized it was time to wrap things up. 4/5.

9. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

(I'm pre-empting the Infidels' general discussion here, but why not?) A lot of Dylan scribes go on about how Infidels was the great missed-opportunity could-have-been-a-masterpiece album. Well, yes and no.

For me, although Dylan's critical faculties clearly failed him throughout the 80s, I think Infidels isn't as damaged by his nuttiness (in terms of track-selection and choices of mixes / versions) as both Shot Of Love and Oh Mercy.

Infidels basically achieved what it set out to do: It got Dylan back in the top-40, made most casual listeners forget his Christian-evangelical stuff, got him on Letterman / MTV to connect with third-generation rock'n'rollers, and showed longtime fans that he still had impressive songwriting ability outside of hymns -- 'Jokerman', 'Sweetheart Like You', License to Kill', 'I & I'. (Even the LP sleeve/singles' photo of Dylan in Jerusalem got the Jewish audience off his back and made them think maybe he hadn't completely lost his mind.)

That being said, there is no doubt that this was hugely botched album, just as Shot Of Love was. As the story goes, when the basic recording was finished, Mark Knopfler had to leave to go on tour or whatever, and he left Dylan to do the final editing / track-selection / mixing by himself. Predictably, Dylan sabotaged it.

When I want to hear this material, this is how I cue it up:
    1. Jokerman
    2. Sweetheart Like You
    3. Union Sundown
    4. Someone's Got A Hold Of My Heart

5. Blind Willie McTell (acoustic version, of course)
    6. License To Kill
    7. I & I
    8. Lord Protect My Child

I think 'Lord Protect My Child' is a wonderful song -- one of his best of the 80s -- and I quite like the smooth and tuneful 'Someone's Got A Hold Of My Heart' (re-written in inferior form on his next LP). 'Blind Willie McTell' remains, of course, the great mystery of this album's sessions. At least with 'Caribbean Wind' we can say that Dylan never nailed it (as far as we know, anyway), so he sort-of had a reason to dump it by the side of the road. But there is no acceptable excuse for dropping 'Willie', whose acoustic recording is undoubtedly one of his best two or three tracks of the decade and probably on par with cuts like 'Tangled Up In Blue' and 'Knockin' On Heaven's Door' as among his very greatest tracks, ever. It was just insanity.

One thing to say about the limitations of even this album's best material, though: Even when I cue up this preferred (and definitely vastly superior) track-listing, the record's tone and 'feel' doesn't really change. It's still rather mid-tempo, with a slick 80s' feel. So, that much stays the same.

But, for me (unlike some of you), I quite like the "80s" feel of this album. I love Sly & Robbie's work on it, and I think adding Mick Taylor's more traditional blues-rock feel to balance out Knopfler's distinctive licks was a great idea. I also enjoy the clean, sharp production. It really makes his harmonica sound sweet and pretty, and while his vocals are still 80s-Bob (i.e., weaker than anything before 1977), they're a hell of a lot better than on Shot Of Love.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2024
  10. Library Eye

Library Eye Forum Resident

Just don't get catfished.

Amnion, Brian x, GAW Jr. and 2 others like this.
  11. Komakino___

Komakino___ It's tiring, roaming these halls... Thread Starter

Brian x and Library Eye like this.
  12. Komakino___

Phase I (Early Years)

Bob Dylan (Incomplete will be revisited)

Freewheelin' Bob Dylan

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 End

First Single/Withdrawn Freewheelin’ Tracks/Broadside Ballads Vol. 1

1/2 3 4 5 /6 7 8

The Times They Are A-Changin' /Period Extra

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 End/1

Another Side of Bob Dylan

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 End

Bob Dylan Book Discussion!

Phase II (So called "Electric Trilogy")

Bringing It All Back Home

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 End

Highway 61 Revisited/Non-Album Singles

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 End/1 2

Blonde on Blonde/Non-Album Single

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 1o 11 12 13 14 End/1

Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits

Phase III (Wilderness Years)

John Wesley Harding

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 End

Nashville Skyline

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 End

Self Portrait

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 End

New Morning

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 End

1971 Singles/B-Sides

1 2 / 1

Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits Vol. II

1 2 3 4 5 End

Concert For Bangladesh (Bob Set)

Rock of Ages (Bob Set)

Broadside Reunion

1 2 3 4

A Tribute to Woody Guthrie + Wallflower (Bob Dylan/Doug Sahm)

1 2 3 / 1

Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid - Soundtrack

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 End

Dylan (1973)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 End

Phase IV (Return to touring/Comeback)

Planet Waves

1 2 3 4 5 6 & 7 8 9 10 11 End

Before the Flood

Blood on the Tracks

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 End

The Basement Tapes (1975)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

13 14 15 16 End

Desire/Rita May Single/Sign Language (EC Duet)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 End/1/1

Hard Rain

Masterpieces

The Last Waltz (Bob Set)

Street-Legal

2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 End

Bob Dylan and The Rolling Thunder Revue - "4 Songs From "Renaldo And Clara" (EP)

Bob Dylan at Budokan

Phase V (Religious Years)

Slow Train Coming/Trouble in Mind (B - Side)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 End/1

Saved

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 End

Shot of Love (+ The Groom's Still Waiting at the Altar)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 End

Phase VI (Dylan does 80's/return to secular material)

Infidels/Angel Flying Too Close to the Ground (B - Side)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Library Eye likes this.
  13. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

Oh nuts, I forgot this song is the last one! (Sorry @Komakino___ , I thought this album was already done.)

Don't Fall Apart On Me Tonight -- 3 / 5
    Well, just like "I And I" this is a good-ish (not great) track that is helped a lot by its fine guitar work and instrumental stuff. It's basically a mid-tempo pop song.

As such, it's pretty good. Dylan sounds very 'into' it and is putting lots of energy into the singing... not sure it entirely works, but at least he's really digging in.

Again, I find the sound of this track quite attractive, even though the song itself isn't overly special.

(Per my suggested track-listing, above, I am on the fence as to whether this one or "I And I" should be included. I find them about equal.)

14. Endicott

Endicott Forum Resident

"Don't Fall Apart On Me Tonight" -- an almost jazzy album-closer. It ebbs and flows nicely, Knopfler's guitar frames it well, and Bob's vocal hits an assured groove. The harmonica sounds way too processed, though.

It's one of his more direct love songs. I love that line about building a house out of stainless steel. So Bob.

15. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

Don't Fall Apart On Me Tonight - 4/5

I don't know if this is Dylan's attempt at an 80s pop hit or not, if it is it's a pretty damn good one. I like that it starts off with some nice melodic harmonica playing, the vocal is good too, that's three songs in a row i've enjoyed and been surprised by.

16. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

I like the fact that it's got "Tonight" in the title for the symmetry of Dylan signing off albums with some kind of night-time serenade/farewell.

Again, there is possibly more going on than meets the eye, but it fails to connect with me in any kind of emotional way. I think the slow version on Springtime would have been more to my taste, if he had refined it.

CollidewithMars, Zeki, Amnion and 6 others like this.
  17. Brian x

Brian x the beautiful ones are not yet born

Don't Fall Apart on Me Tonight

I'm about a year into having discovered this LP and though this isn't the most memorable song on it, it maintains the remarkably high standard that's been set throughout. It may not be the slam-bang album closer that Blind Willie would've been, but Blind Willie may have made too much of the album look relatively weak by comparisson. Hard to say.

Regardless, I love what BD can do with a love song. Like I and I and Sweetheart, after introducing the girl & the basic situation we start veering off into various Dylanesque side-corners, the itchy nose, feeling like he's in a painting, wishing he'd been a doctor, "Jackie P." (?), the guy with drumsticks in his pants. But it's still a love song and you know it every time he sings "don't fall apart on me tonight" (beautifully, I'll add. His voice on this album is generally very good).

Will also enthusiastically agree with @Panther -- Bob's put together a great bunch of musicians, and they work really well together. I like them much more than the players on Desire & Street Legal, they have a very distinctive groove, I'd like to hear another LP w/ the same crew. And yes, the production is '80s, but not really offensive-80s, we're not talking Bowie's dance albums. This bunch hangs back, gives the lyric lots of room, and propels things forward with a minimum of hot-dogging and some lovely grace notes.

Wrapping up this album without any complaints (lucky that I enjoy Neighborhood Bully & Union Sundown).

But soon we'll be entering into relatively unknown (to me) and dire (from what I remember) territory.

zipp, Tom Daniels, Zeki and 11 others like this.
  18. Biff1

Biff1 Forum Resident

I'm inordinately fond of "Don't Fall Apart On Me Tonight", a surprisingly catchy tune that is among my favorite Dylan album-closers ever. Top-notch performance from everyone involved - Sly and Robbie stand out, as does Mick Taylor's distinctive slide guitar. Knopfler's playing is less flashy, but he subtlety shapes the performance on the margins, while Dylan himself delivers a terrific lead vocal. This may not be one of the "great" Bob Dylan songs, but for me it's an essential slice of early- to mid-80's pop rock. If it isn't a 5/5, it's close enough. As a bit of a side note, "Version 1" of this song from Springtime In New York is also outstanding, and is a fascinating alternate interpretation.

19. Komakino___

Currently in the process of catching up with this thread (slowly) but just to make a quick comment on version 1 as this is one of my favourite Dylan songs before I forget. But really, ya' think so? I have always been more partial to the V2 performance myself V1 has always sounded a little "off" to me for some reason.

20. Library Eye

Library Eye Forum Resident

Yesterday's just a memory,
    Tomorrow is never what it's supposed to be

This one's pretty great, Bob's best album closer in a while. Oh, wait— the last album had a tremendous closer. This guy's onto something.

~–•—~—•–~––•—~—•–~––•—~—•–~––•—~—•–~–

fun little rewrite in this cover…

21. Orson Swells

Orson Swells Forum Resident

Don't Fall Apart On Me Tonight - Actually this is probably my favourite song on the album. I hear echoes of 70s Bob, a dash of Street Legal maybe, and the lyric is just so effortlessly Dylan. Maybe in an ideal world it would have been the penultimate track and cued up the missing masterpiece, but this is a great song in its own right. Laidback, humorous, and very catchy too. 4.5/5

22. Mr. Rain

Mr. Rain Forum Resident

"Don't Fall Apart On Me Tonight" leaves me cold....I don't like or dislike it. Seems very bland, like Dylan's trying to produce a tame radio-friendly pop ballad. "See? I'm all safe now and available for prom dances. Never mind those rants about Satan..."

Never played live, unfortunately -- I'm sure some extra zest onstage would help this song, which is dampened by the lifeless Infidels band.

23. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I and I
    Love this. It might have been better with straight rock drums rather than Sly Dunbar's metronomic touch here (the 80s man).
    4/5

24. Vagabone

Vagabone Forum Resident

Don't Fall Apart On Me Tonight

Disappointing end to the album, with six minutes of fairly average AOR. At least I can remember some of the tune.

"Jokerman", "I and I" and "License to Kill" are all I need from this album, on reflection.

3/5

25. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"Don't Fall Apart On Me Tonight"

An excellent closer, continuing the personal rather than political theme of the previous track. It's an attractive tune with a warm feeling about it and an entertaining lyric. Bob even gets to rhyme "Louvre" and "move". Like the previous track it feels like a follow-on from Street-Legal, which is always going to be an attraction for me. 5/5.