Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks (Mofi Ultradisc One-Step 45rpm 2LP vinyl)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DotKom11, May 15, 2019.

1. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I’ve found them to be hit or miss. RTI can press great records, but I’ve also had so many problems with RTI pressings of late: hairlines, surface noise, off centered pressings. To me, RTI is overrated and is living off of its past reputation.

What happened to you is unacceptable for a $125 record, which is premium product. You shouldn’t have paper bits embedded in your record. This is something that I would expect from Rainbo, United or GZ.

I assume most plants these days are operating at full capacity and are being pushed to the limit, but something needs to give. What is the Head of Quality Control at RTI doing when these one steps are being pressed? Obviously, he isn’t doing a sufficient enough job or we wouldn’t be having these issues.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  2. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

Hit or miss is my experience as well. Because of the quality issues, I only order Mofi titles from Music Direct now.

Tommyboy and CBackley like this.
  3. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

Geez, even the "Silver Series" was pressed better. That said I've had pretty good luck. Out of 5 one steps, one set needed new jackets and one set needed a new disc. They did take care of it right away. I always run everything through the VPI before playing anyway.

baroquehoedown33 likes this.
  4. Dre327

Dre327 Well-Known Member

I received mine today as well and LP 1 has some scuff marks right on the lead in groove. It causes some nice loud pops at the start of the first song. I called Music Direct and they will be sending out a replacement when they get replacement copies in. I don’t have to send in the damaged LP. He said it might be 4-6 weeks.

5. baroquehoedown33

baroquehoedown33 Electro-synthemagnetic musical dork

Well...I ordered mine from Music Direct...and it's the worst I've ever seen! So you can't even count on them getting decent ones. (Not their fault.)

CBackley likes this.
  6. ted321

ted321 Forum Resident

Received #784 today. Got it for $99 since I reordered it way back (1 and 1/2 years ago!). No issues what so ever. Sounds absolutely stunning, like he's in the room. Did a quick comparison with the MFSL 33/13. Definitely a leap in clarity and detail. Love it!!

djost, Dmann201, Echoes Myron and 4 others like this.
  7. Peter M

Peter M Forum Resident

Agree with prior reviews that the One Step has more clarity and presence. The detail in Dylan’s voice is the difference for me.

I own the Mofi 33, and an early Columbia pressing. The One Step sounds the best.

djost, Dmann201, Echoes Myron and 6 others like this.
  8. Jeremiah Wallis

Jeremiah Wallis Well-Known Member

Glad to hear it sounds great! I decided to skip this one as I have an original pressing that I'm more than happy with. Plus, it's getting harder to justify plunking down $135 (shipping +tax) for these until they work out the QC issues. That's if they even care to. If they're selling out every pressing at or around every pre-order, why would they?

9. Toddarino

Toddarino Total Hunk

First, thanks to all that let me know about the shrink wrapping. It made me feel a bit better while I was working.
    I gotta say this really sounds great on my modest system. I do have a few pressing issues on side A. A couple scuffs and there is an audible pop on the first track.
    I played the whole album through, then compared a few tracks with my mofi 33 and a regular 1974 pressing. I think it’s a noticeable step up. It’s obviously quieter than my other pressings and like people already mentioned, the vocals and drums really shine.
    By no means am I an audiophile. So you can take my comments with a grain of salt. Blood On the Tracks is probably my favorite album of all time. It’s gotten me through rough periods in my life (along with Warren Zevon’s S/T). I wanted the best sounding version I could get. I think this is it and I’m happy with my purchase. I hope those that picked it up are as well.

10. SamtheMan

SamtheMan Forum Resident

I have 7 or 8 Intervention Records (ir) reissues which are pressed at RTI - in fact the hype sticker states, "Dead Quiet, Pressed at RTI".
    In ir's case it is absolutely true - the pressings are all clean, flat, and have no static - absolutely flawless in every way, on every ir release I own.
    I also have most of the One Steps, and most have required a serious cleaning before I would let them anywhere near my TT.
    I don't know what Mofi are doing but whatever it is, it is not with the same care as ir, and given the price very annoying.

11. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Same with me. Smart choice. At least you can get a replacement copy if something is amiss.

FashionBoy, teag and CBackley like this.
  12. Sam

Sam Senior Member

From the other thread: My impressions.
    The One Step is warm and open, with a wider and deeper sound stage than the SACD I own. Going back to the SACD, the stage becomes flatter. On the SACD, the harmonica, like on most of Dylan's recordings, is piercing at times. On the One Step, it sounds natural. This is the only vinyl pressing of this album I have ever heard, so I can't say how it compares to the original or other audiophile pressings. My box and all covers inside were PERFECT. The vinyl was perfect. #433

DotKom11, Xander2017 and Juggsnelson like this.
  13. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Yeah I probably won't be able to do a true comparison to my MOFI 33 until later this week, but I playes disc 1 last night and was entranced.

The guitar detail is insane. The sense of space created around drums and vocals really blew me away. Beat my expectations. I think this is a real winner. Can't wait to listen some more tonight.

I also have a half dozen US 1975 pressings. I think this will beat them handily.

Juggsnelson, ted321, Tommyboy and 2 others like this.
  14. baroquehoedown33

baroquehoedown33 Electro-synthemagnetic musical dork

Just heard from Music Direct and they're going to ship replacement discs for me - free of charge. Hooray! Someone else said they heard 4 to 6 weeks before replacements go out. I certainly hope it's not that long!

Tommyboy and Twinsfan007 like this.
  15. A6mzero

A6mzero One foot in the grave, one foot on the pedal

#0971 was in perfect condition. Beautiful sounding piece of wax. A couple of extra flips to hear the music is more than offset by the listening experience. I’m a big fan of 45rpm releases.Outstanding packaging. I have numerous Mofi recordings and none have disappointed me. I’ve always been in the camp of you get what you pay for whether it’s equipment, shoes, or a good steak.

Spencer R, Tommyboy, Dmann201 and 2 others like this.
  16. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

This one sounds like a winner. Should have mine soon.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  17. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

It could be preordered 2 years ago when the One-Step price was $99.99. Music Direct has honored those preorder prices.

18. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I just finished playing my copy #983 for a second time. In addition to the One-Step I also own an early Columbia and the SACD. Although I did not do a direct comparison with these, my impression is the the One-Step far surpasses both my early Columbia and the SACD. I could tell right away from the moment the needle hit the grooves that everything in this new reissue sounds better.

I own all One-Step releases, including the Abraxas, and my take is the the BOTT is the most satisfactory release so far, in terms of artistic merit and sound quality.

maui jim, djost, AshS and 3 others like this.
  19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

This one sounds like a winner. Should have mine soon.

20. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Wow! Saying that BOTT is equal to or surpasses Abraxas says a lot.

James Bennett likes this.
  21. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Let me make something clear here so there is no misunderstanding.
    Abraxas sounds amazing, there is no doubt, and so does BOTT. If I had to choose which of the two I will play to impress my audiophile friends I would probably play Abraxas.

BOTT's fidelity is more subtle, it can be found in the tonality of the acoustic guitars or in the way Dylan's voice carries out through the instrumentation or in how much more impact Dylan's songs have in the One-Step release. But BOTT does not flash its audiophile glory the way Abraxas does. I am suspecting that for someone that has not listened to this album a lot the One-Step does not impress that much instantly like Abraxas maybe does.

But, there is also another aspect to all this.

Abraxas is a great album but in no way can compete to the BOTT which is one of the greatest Dylan's albums and a milestone in rock history. It is a record that goes beyond just rock and roll, a record that demands to be heard many times to be appreciated. So, if you take both these under consideration, the BOTT becomes the better release of the two.

All in my opinion of course, YMMV as they say.

Spencer R, maui jim, djost and 7 others like this.
  22. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Well the music is better :)

There are definitely a couple "Abraxas moments" for sound, though. Tangled, Big Girl, etc. all deliver.

EDIT. What 5-String said :)

5-String and Juggsnelson like this.
  23. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Fed Ex guy just delivered my BOTT box #1616 so I placed my order on the first day it was officially announced,
    that means more than 1600 orders were placed before officially announced. Going to inspect my LP's, clean and give them a spin.

24. Toddarino

Toddarino Total Hunk

I’m not sure that’s how it works. I think it’s random. Mine is # 110.

25. John D.

John D. Senior Member

OK, your probably right.