Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks (Mofi Ultradisc One-Step 45rpm 2LP vinyl)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DotKom11, May 15, 2019.

1. Greg braun

Greg braun Forum Resident

I just received my mofi BOTT. How do I know what number it is?

2. Frank Field

Frank Field Forum Resident

It's on the back of the box

3. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

I went to a friend’s with a good setup who had purchased the 1-step. I brought my MoFi SACD, which to date has been my gold standard for this album. I also brought the 33 RPM previous MoFi edition. I do think the 1-step was an improvement over the other two, with better separation and details easier to pick out of the mix. That being said, I’m not sure the improvements are worth the price difference, especially as I don’t know if my setup, which isn’t as resolving as my friends, would be able to take advantage of it. Heck of a package though.

IGD Positive likes this.
  4. Greg braun

Greg braun Forum Resident

Ok. Back of box 5205. Just finished listening. I like it. So clear.

5. Gdgray

Gdgray Forum Resident

Have listened to BOTT one step for couple weeks and still loving it. So tonight I pulled out BOB Mofi 45 on vinyl and after listening while reading / following each track in book “That Thin Wild Mercury Sound” ....this is a great companion purchase.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  6. Sam

Sam Senior Member

119 copies left at mofi.com. Going, going, ………..

7. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

So, you think they have sold 8881?

8. Sam

Sam Senior Member

There may be some with MD, but yes, I believe that's close to the number. Do you have any proof otherwise?

9. Gordon Johnson

So MD have "some", how many? Clearly not as close to selling out as is suggested!

No, but these are not shipped sequentially. That is clear from earlier sales when lower numbers are issued later on!
    How about third party sellers? How many went out to them of the 9000?

10. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

I honestly didn’t think Amazon will be able to supply me a with a copy (they didn’t with all the other one step releases I preordered) but I just got a shipping notification. Nice.

Ed Hughes likes this.
  11. jonnyeric

jonnyeric Hyperactive!

#6151 Is in da house

12. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Following this thread, I’ve been having an ongoing conversation with myself about what a better, or even an ultimate hi-fi presentation might bring to the experience of an album I love, one that’s always sounded pretty great. A more realistic, intimate, in-the-room presence? A newly fresh encounter with an LP I’ve probably overlistened to during the past 45 years via multiple formats and now multiple outtakes?

I’m sure it’s an intensely pleasurable and luxe artifact, and impossible to quantify the added personal value and individual satisfaction it brings, the gift it delivers above and beyond the best alternatives. There are definitely albums I would instantly spring for if they got the One Step treatment. Would buying this one deepen my already deep and slightly groove-worn relationship with this recording, or just my relationship with the thrills and chills of hi-fi excellence?

Xander2017 and RiRiIII like this.
  13. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

That's a PERFECT question, one similar to what I was about to post.

I think, from the descriptions I have read here, that this pressing is clearer and more present than an original, which is something that I own. An original certainly doesn't sound dead or anything. It's actually has a fair bit of life and dynamics. The UD1S of Santana's Abraxas added clarity, detail, and pop to the German ARS (Itself, better than an original). The UD1S of Abraxas, particularly the first two sides, is astonishing. Yet the ARS, itself, has quite a bit of the life of what the UD1S offers, aside from the astonishing inner detail. The ARS is wonderfully musical and engaging. The UD1S takes all that and adds a YOU-ARE-THEREness to it.

So to add to @Stone Turntable's post, specifically in what areas does the UD1S improve upon an original (and the MoFi 33, which I don't have, but for other's reference), and to what degree are the improvements (I have seen no professional reviews of it)? AND, what difference do the improvements make in terms of musical and emotional impact? I'm on the fence about getting one (I can't just throw money around, and I have to make choices between this, others records, and other things in life.).

Stone Turntable likes this.
  14. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Sounds like you want Mobile Fidelity to fail for some reason. Let me rephrase my original intent: "To those wishing to buy one of these fantastic sounding sets, buy now, due to the fact that the mofi site is showing only about 100 left. TRUE, there may be some additional copies popping up from other retailers, but to play it safe, BUY NOW IF you want one at the regular price." Is that better Gordon? Does that make you happy?

TDurden and FashionBoy like this.
  15. Gordon Johnson

From this …….……….

To this ………..…..

I really should not bite, but I will :)

Clearly you failed to keep up with what I've posted about MoFi. That I find them a poor company and now no longer will put any money into any of their product, I've never suggested that anyone else take that route. I have in fact recognised the quality work that they can and often attain. Unfortunately it is a company that fails to achieve minimum standards of customer service across the board. What customer service they do offer is also way too variable and in that respect, I will continue to warn buyers to not use third party suppliers as these are not supported by MoFi. Given what I've read here [and heard elsewhere], this is a company that fails its overseas customer more often than not even when buying direct.

Thanks for the platform to reiterate these points firstly Sam.

Now, if you want to expand on how you came to feel I want MoFi to fail based on a post that simply questions the amount of sales from this [so called] limited pressing run of 9000 copies I'd be very grateful.
    MoFi do not sell sequentially. None of us could possibly put a figure on how many copies have gone into third party outlets, MD still have an unspecified quantity of records for sale. So, I'll reiterate the point, Clearly not as close to selling out as is suggested!

How's that Sam? Better for you?

16. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I used the mofi.com site as a barometer of records sold for the One Step releases based on past activity in regards to sell outs. Therefore, in the past, when the mofi.com site "sold out," the other third party sellers were not far behind. Then when these releases were sold out, many people bitched about having to pay 2, 3, 4 or 5 times the original selling price from second-hand sellers. So, I feel it is better to error on the side of caution in recommending to my fellow audiophiles that the clock is ticking on this particular release. With your thinking, you imply to people that they have many months to ponder the decision. I disagree and don't want people to be left out if they are at all interested in this pressing. I think I would safely say that 80% of these are sold. I can't prove it, but who cares. Wait and regret it. I know I did with some past titles from mofi as well as other companies. That's all I was saying.

TDurden likes this.
  17. Gordon Johnson

If only that was all you were saying Sam!

But from past sales [of lesser numbers pressed] MoFi often say a lot that they don't really mean! Simple sales procedure.

You also suggested that based on a certain numbered record MoFi are close to selling out, all I'm saying is that this is probably incorrect.

Anyone bitching about having to pay a bigger premium is on no concern to me or you for that matter. It's their problem, I've even seen folk paying over the odds for these records BEFORE they were sold out, third party outlets or otherwise!

18. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Oh , I've had people take shots at me because I was able to sell a particular record at double what I paid for it. Hey, that's why I now try to say "you snooze, you lose."
    It's not only the number that people are now reporting that they are receiving, but as I said, the mofi.com site is down to about 115 copies left. Usually this is a pretty good indication of how close it is to being gone.

TDurden likes this.
  19. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

They are still available in Japan. The Evans is also still available on Amazon at its original Japan retail price of ¥15,000 (around $135). I thought about buying the Evans, but I don’t want to deal with returning the thing if it ends up being defective.

In general, I think the MOFI’s are worth purchasing despite my sense that they could do a lot better on the quality side.

I have a lot of older audiophile stuff. A lot of it isn’t worth much more than what I paid even though it might be rare. Some items (MOFI boxes, Classic Led Zeppelin 200g) were around for years, but are in great demand now.

So, you never know. At my age and occupation, it doesn’t make a lot of sense to buy records as an investment, so I just stick with items I’ll enjoy owning. That said, I still haven’t opened my Abraxas . . .

TDurden likes this.
  20. AnalogJ

I still haven't seen any professional reviews, nor detailed reviews of the Dylan. Anyone know of any reviews?

21. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

There is a mini review of the Dylan in the new issue of Absolute Sound. Likes the record...and gives it a rave review. I'm still on the fence about this one, primarily because I don't like the music enough to shell out the $$. The next two---Monk and Mingus...should be winners.

AnalogJ likes this.
  22. AnalogJ

Might you have a link to it online?

23. Gordon Johnson

And once they have gone …………………… well a few months down the line suddenly some appear after "forcing" buyers to go third party.

What you sell for is what you sell for, good luck on the return.

24. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Yes, I did see that from the mofi.com site for one title where more "suddenly" appeared after they stated it was sold out. That was Marvin Gaye. They didn't do that for any other One Step to the best of my knowledge. Now, you say that mofi "forced" people to go to third party sellers. LOL. C'mon, they didn't force anyone to do anything. In fact, they should be praised for taking the wind out of the sails of people who bought 2 or 3 with the hopes of selling to those people who waited. How I wish Mobile Fidelity would "find" some additional copies of Abraxas to sell at the normal price! In fact, now that I think about it, they may be keeping a hundred or so back to do just that in order to attempt to somewhat stop the practice of hoarding and reselling. Now, instead of buying on ebay for 3 times the price, people may hold off and wait to see if mofi offers up additional copies at the regular price. Might be a rather smart move on Mobile Fidelity's part to serve their customers.

TDurden likes this.
  25. Crestfallen

Crestfallen Active Member

Got mine yesterday. Listened to it straight away. Without question, it's the best version I've ever heard. My only hangup is that I now feel compelled to upgrade my turntable after dropping $130 on a just-released album.

Tullman, TDurden and Newscot like this.