Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks (Mofi Ultradisc One-Step 45rpm 2LP vinyl)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DotKom11, May 15, 2019.

1. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Forum Resident

Could you post a discogs link or something similar for that exact pressing? I'd like to check it out.

2. japhyman

japhyman Forum Resident

Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks

3. bloodlemons

japhyman likes this.
  4. japhyman

japhyman Forum Resident

I should add, as I just did this again last night with a friend, comparing the MFSL versions, CBS half speed , and an original US pressing with the rare white back cover. Both times I’ve done this shootout with buddies who have also known and enjoyed the album for the last 30 or so years of their lives, so they really know the music . Both buddies were NOT into the slower speed , it just doesn’t serve THE MUSIC as well for them hearing it at its originally recorded speed. Even the sound of the acoustic guitars sounded too weird to them at their original pitch . Main point is, the speed difference is definitely significant and immediately audible between the CBS and all other legit versions. I was really curious just to hear it and am still on the fence as to which speed I enjoy more when I want to just chill out and listen. The CBS original speed to me sounds more like the Dylan I remember hearing on his earliest albums, and sometimes that’s cool to hear.

Stone Turntable and Richard--W like this.
  5. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

I haven't heard the Mastersound, but I gather that the versions on the RSD Test Pressing version are at the original speed, and the three cuts (??) that made the final album and had the speed change sound much more natural and relaxed to me. This struck me the first time I played, without knowing about the speed difference at that point. I was really hoping the One-step would use the natural speed, but I guess I'll have to seek out the Mastersound version now.

japhyman likes this.
  6. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

The One-Step is still essential for its other virtues.

Always. That's always good to hear.

Echoes Myron and japhyman like this.
  7. IGD Positive

IGD Positive Forum Resident

I don't think the speed difference is significant on every song. It's definitely more noticeable on some songs. Either way, I don't prefer the slower version.

8. bloodlemons

I received a second replacement copy (third total) from Amazon today and only one sleeve is lightly seam split, so I guess I'll call it good. What a process! I did pick up a copy of the speed-corrected pressing on Discogs as well. Looking forward to checking that out!

jgrillo likes this.
  9. bloodlemons

Hey! I got my copy of the half-speed mastered version today and am listening now. The pressing is nowhere near as quiet and plush as the MoFi One-Step, but I am really digging the natural sound and human tempo. Thanks for hooking me up with the info!

japhyman likes this.
  10. japhyman

japhyman Forum Resident

Nice. I was a little wary of throwing down money on titles in this CBS half-speed series but to my ears they thankfully did a good job on this one.

bloodlemons likes this.
  11. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

If anyone is willing to take their chances with Amazon, then Amazon US has included the Blood on the Tracks one step as part of their buy 3 for 2 deal. You buy three items and one of them is free. It's kind of hard to match up stuff you want, but I bought the Dylan one step ($125) and the Wings Wild Life Super Deluxe set ($117) and a Tom Petty American Treasure vinyl box ($108), so the Petty box was free. I actually don't need the Dylan box, but it was the right price to make this deal work for me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/promotion...2c6dcda23bffa0045d4e9849ebd58b&language=en_US

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  12. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Just want to point out that new copies are listed for less than retail on the secondary market right now.

Told you guys 9,000 was a lot. I was never worried about missing out.

marcb and RiRiIII like this.
  13. Jeremiah Wallis

Jeremiah Wallis Well-Known Member

Elusive Disc has the Blood on the Tracks One Step for $99.99 until tomorrow. Search Results

Probably won't see a better deal on this.

jgrillo and ssmith3046 like this.
  14. Peter K

Peter K Forum Resident

Prices will rise once its sold out!

15. gfxmla

gfxmla Forum Resident

Yep; I was on the fence about this one, but that price drop at Elusive sold me.

16. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The Blood on the Tracks One-Step has now been made available from Sony Music Japan as a Japan product (SIJP-88). The price is 22,000 Yen (including sales tax), or approximately $200. It appears to be part of the 9000 set run, that will be repackaged in Japan to include Japanese language inserts and a lyric sheet. No word on whether there will also be an obi. These may sell well if promoted in connection with his 11-show engagement in Tokyo in April. There are also standard import versions of the album available at 15,000 yen ($135) including sales tax.

It's pretty clear that there are a lot more to sell (out of 9000). I wonder how many have been pressed and sold? Of course, it's always possible it could go out of print before 9000 copies are pressed.

Anyway, all that really matters to me is that (scuffed inner sleeves aside) it's a beautiful product, and an amazing presentation of the album (which I greatly prefer in its sped-up version, with full band tracks because, well, that's how I heard it when I was 14 years old). Something to treasure.

17. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Ditto

I wouldn't bet on that.

Sure. But when will that happen and by how much will they rise?

18. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I have two now because I wanted to take advantage of a 3 for 2 deal on Amazon, so I'm keeping one sealed. I'll try to find a place where it's always safe and warm.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  19. marcb

marcb Senior Member

To each his own, but I always fail to see the purpose of doing this. Perhaps it makes sense if something is going to be a high-demand rarity, but I seriously doubt that will happen.

Having said that, I've accidentally bought two of a number of fairly high-demand rarities which remain sealed, so I guess I shouldn't judge...

20. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Folks don't pass on it. Insanely good cut.

Jam757 and AtlTrav like this.
  21. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I didn’t buy it for investment. It was a “3 for 2“ deal on Amazon, and I couldn’t find anything. I wanted - so from that perspective it was free.

Anyway, it’s definitely a good product - whether it’s worth the price depends on a lot of factors.

22. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

9000 was pretty high. the new Bread 33 rpm standard MFSL is limited to only 3000. I doubt this will sell out that quickly. I think the hype on one steps boosted sales above the norm. If people are slow to fork out on a £40 standard MFSL it's a mystery why so many can quickly splash out £160. I am not sure all these will maintain high prices long term. The first titles they were too cautious on number pressed. I recon 3000 is the world market for a rapid sell out. Most MFSL titles are around for years even before a repress is done (if allowed).

23. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The Dylan mono 45 rpm pressings that MOFI did we’re numbered to 3000 and some titles had to be discounted. I think that the Dylan titles have simply been reissued too often.

James Bennett likes this.
  24. AtlTrav

AtlTrav Forum Resident

I took advantage of this deal! I kept 1 and sold the other 2 copies (for much less than original MSRP). Glad I was able to get this sonically amazing record into a few other hands!

bloodlemons likes this.
  25. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I got a sealed copy from the forum and listened to it front to back last night. I guess I got lucky because not one click, one pop, nothing but a dead quiet background and absolutely beautiful sound. Unfortunately I do have to report the same issues with sleeve scuffs (how-it's a f'n Mo-Fi jacket???!!) and this strange sort of washed out appearance of the record jackets. The label on side 4 appears to be badly off center but no tonearm movement so I think the center hole was correct. The box itself appeared defect free. Interestingly, this is not one of may favorite Dylan albums although I still like it a lot. I'd put it maybe in my top 20. Mostly I wanted to hear what the One Step was all about. Overall, I'm pleased!

jgrillo, Echoes Myron and bloodlemons like this.