Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks (Mofi Ultradisc One-Step 45rpm 2LP vinyl)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DotKom11, May 15, 2019.

1. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

This is probably my favorite album, period. Well, either this or the More Blood, More Tracks alternate version or the original New York test pressing version. To my mind, there’s not really one definitive version of this set of songs, but this set of songs has never been matched by anyone else.

Echoes Myron, Pancat and CBackley like this.
  2. Farthingscat

Farthingscat Forum Resident

My favourite Bob album too, this one step version is delightful.
    Gary

Pancat likes this.
  3. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

Great review, I’ll spin mine tonight.

Geoffsterpiano likes this.
  4. beyondmiles

beyondmiles Forum Resident

Okay, bit during the Father’s Day sale at Acoustic Sounds (happened to work on this even though it’s usually excluded from promos).

Just finished listening through and to my relatively untrained ear, aside from a slight tick here and there (I really need a RCM), it sounds pretty damn amazing. Idiot Wind definitely has a presence that I have not heard on any other version, including my MoFi 33.

I do have a pretty significant warp on LP1 and it is slightly off center. LP2 has a tiny wobble but nothing that really bothers me, even at $106. Again - to my relative novice ear, I don’t hear the sonic effects (if any) so wonder if it’s worth trying to get replaced knowing these One Steps have had their share of issues.

Ignorance is bliss? Or shoot Acoustic Sounds a note and see what they say?

Echoes Myron and DotKom11 like this.
  5. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Replace it. Vinyl at that price shouldn’t have such poor quality.

6. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I'd at least replace LP1, with the warp and being off-center.

7. beyondmiles

Gotta return the whole thing (at my expense up front, though they’ll refund the cost once they receive) and they’ll inspect and verify and send me one. After playing it again, it’s definitely going to annoy me so gonna try my luck and send it back for a new one.

8. Nbehre15

Nbehre15 Member

does anyone here know how many of these were pressed?

9. AnalogJ

Wasn't it 9000?

AtlTrav and James Bennett like this.
  10. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

9k for the 1 Step.

For the 33, I have two copies, #229 and #17280

11. Nbehre15

Nbehre15 Member

Okay, thanks for the info! I just grabbed one off of discogs and it was numbered in the 17,000’s so I was kinda wondering how “limited” it really is/was.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  12. beyondmiles

Replacement came today from AS - still a warp on LP1 and a tiny one on LP2, but it’s not off center so I guess I’ll live with it. Note to self order through MoFi or MD next time for easier replacements, even if it means paying retail. That said, AS was prompt (week turnaround from bad copy arriving and new copy shipping) and got my shipping refund within two days.

Echoes Myron and mikemoon like this.
  13. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Warps used to be my biggest gripe with new vinyl but when I added the Derlin Stainless Steel Clamp, the seduction and the weight has eliminated probably 95% of warps I used to see. I'm not if Rega recommends clamps or not but it's part of the VPI design so it's likely a different issue to resolve. Glad your replacement is better. I'm now considering this One Step and I think earlier in this thread I was like I can't. I guess we are allowed to change our minds. :laugh:

beyondmiles likes this.
  14. AnalogJ

You'd need a more powerful motor to accommodate the stainless steel peripheral clamp on a Rega, not to mention a different platter. VPI's platters have a lowered platform around the edge of their platters to accommodate them.

mikemoon likes this.
  15. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Yeah, I knew something about the design was different but didn't know for sure or how to explain. It helped warps on my TT tremendously and I was shocked because it's so similar to the stock all black derlin clamp. I guess that extra stainless steel mass in the center does it?!

BTW, I'm now considering the BOTT One Step. :laugh: It really is a great album, I've just never really dug into it and try to avoid double dipping when possible. One of the beautiful things about life is being able to change our minds.

scotti likes this.
  16. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I finally got around to ordering BOTT One Step today. In case anyone has waited as long as I did and are still thinking about it, Acoustic Sounds has only around 40 or so copies left and then no more.

Echoes Myron, AnalogJ and beyondmiles like this.
  17. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Well I got my One Step of BOTT yesterday and just a fantastic listen. And talk about coming in under the wire. Acoustic Sounds now has it listed for $329, that was close. Can't say I did not at least warn folks who might have still been debating that it was about sold out.

edit - just checked ebay and they have one listed (new) for only $145, that will surely not last long...

CBackley likes this.
  18. AnalogJ

And what did you pay, if you don't mind my asking. (You don't have to answer).

I'm thankful for when Elusive Disc had it for $100.

CBackley likes this.
  19. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

$124.95, their original selling price. I thought this was always at the $125 price, good for you!

CBackley likes this.
  20. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Got my second listen in last night and the sound really hit me. Just sweet as can be and ever so glad I got this for my collection. After all of these years, the songs that really got me were "Meet Me In The Morning" and "Buckets Of Rain". Wow did those not sound fantastic! Of course the entire record did, but those two really stood out. Good stuff!

Echoes Myron and DotKom11 like this.
  21. makers888

makers888 Member

What!? Do they typically upcharge like that!? That's absolute crap! They can keep their records and assure they won't ever get my business.

teag likes this.
  22. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I have been buying from them for years and never saw one go up that high overnight like the Dylan. They also recently raised the One Step of "Fragile" to $219...

They have always given me excellent customer service, so when prices go up on a particular item, if I feel it's too high, I just move on to a record that is priced fairly. Raising selling prices on harder to get records is happening more often these days and they are not the only company doing it...

23. AnalogJ

Look, I feel for both of you. For @makers888, being offended by a certain business practice negates wanting to do business with them. For example, for someone like myself, due to their anti-union practices and ways of keeping many employees from qualifying for benefits such as health insurance (thereby dumping the costs of that on taxpayers or leaving employees uninsured), I don't shop at Walmart, in spite of their sometimes very low prices. So I personally try to be very cognizant of corporate behavior.

On the other hand, you could say that Acoustic Sounds takes risks in other areas such as producing albums through Analogue Productions. Sometimes you do have to take the good with the bad. Elon Musk has said some really repugnant things lately, but he's near the forefront of working on environmentally much more friendly electric car technology.

Each person has to come to terms with what they'll tolerate in what they see as poor behavior, and whether they're willing to support that business.

scotti, CBackley and Echoes Myron like this.
  24. AnalogJ

By the way, I don't that that huge markup is typical for them, but I personally see no good reason why they should do that.

CBackley likes this.
  25. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident