Bob Dylan – Bootleg Series Vol. 14: More Blood, More Tracks (2 Nov 2018)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Nov 2, 2016.

1. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

No worries. I believe only the "Blu-Spec Japan import" is up for pre-order so far. I just checked Amazon US and UK again and the "regular" set (i.e. NON-Blu-Spec) is not available... YET.

Soon hopefully?

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  2. slane

slane Forum Resident

I've attempted to simplify that list, listing all the different songs that were recorded at each session, along with the number of complete takes (+false starts/incomplete takes), and where some of the versions ended up on record.

16th September
    If You See Her, Say Hello (2) BOOTLEG SERIES 1-3
    You're A Big Girl Now (3)
    Simple Twist Of Fate (4+1)
    Up To Me (1)
    Lily, Rosemary And The Jack Of Hearts (1) TEST PRESSING
    Call Letter Blues (2) BOOTLEG SERIES 1-3
    Meet Me In The Morning (1) TEST PRESSING
    Idiot Wind (3+3) TEST PRESSING
    You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go (2+6)
    Tangled Up In Blue (1) BOOTLEG SERIES 1-3

17th September
    You're A Big Girl Now (2) TEST PRESSING
    Tangled Up In Blue (2)
    Unidentified Song (0+1)
    Blues (0+1)
    You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go (3) TEST PRESSING
    Shelter From The Storm (5) TEST PRESSING (alternate on JERRY MAGUIRE)
    Buckets Of Rain (2)

18th September
    Buckets Of Rain (1+1)
    (+possibly overdubs on Meet Me In The Morning and You're A Big Girl Now)

19th September
    Up To Me (4+3) BIOGRAPH
    Buckets Of Rain (3+2) TEST PRESSING
    If You See Her, Say Hello (1) TEST PRESSING
    Meet Me In The Morning (2+6) DUQUESNE WHISTLE 45
    Tangled Up In Blue (2+4) TEST PRESSING
    Simple Twist Of Fate (2+1) TEST PRESSING
    Idiot Wind (1+3) BOOTLEG SERIES 1-3
    You're A Big Girl Now (1)

3. bobfan

bobfan Forum Resident

I got the 6CD Cutting Edge, and I've only played it once all the way through. I eventually obtained the other 12 discs and have only played those once too. I have the '66 Box and haven't played all the discs; I think I stopped at Paris, although I did listen to the pro- recorded London gig, and the final night. I have the 6CD Trouble No More set w/San Diego, which I also supplement listening to with the complete Avignon, Houston and New Orleans SBDS. I've listened to this set numerous times, and continue to do so. In fact it's pretty much all the Dylan I've listened to since it was released. I do listen to lots of other artists as well though.
    What this tells me is; I don't really enjoy listening to take after take of the same song, especially in the studio, and especially when it includes false starts, partial takes etc etc however the obsessive in me likes to have them available so I can listen and eventually compile my own tracklists. I'm guessing the Blood box will be much the same. Crazy how many people are complaining before it's released though; especially as this thread is 165 pages long, most of which have been dedicated to people saying. 'When are they going to release the Blood box!'I do agree it is slightly deflating there will be nothing from Minnesota (if the the theories are correct) because I prefer the versions of Tangled, Lily, If You See Her, and Idiot Wind to the New York sessions. I will be happy to have all the outtakes in one place, as trying to keep up with what has been released, or circulated in terms of different mixes leaves me bewildered at times.

4. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

That's great work. I've been compiling a similar rundown of the NY sessions, but it seems way too complicated. Yours has clarity, thank you. :righton:

5. CRadtke

CRadtke Forum Resident

Despite what was reported on Isis website, there's nothing about this release on the November edition of Uncut magazine, which features a cover story about David Bowie.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  6. Scott6

Scott6 Forum Resident

It is just too much of nothing these days. I preferred the days of Isis being delivered, reading the rumours of an unreleased song, obtaining it and then playing it over and over, maybe as an extra track on a C90. These days simply too much for me. I purchased The Cutting Edge - played 1/2 times max. Will be the same with this release.

timnor likes this.
  7. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

My opinions vary quite a bit whether i'm listening through headphones or speakers so I could agree with you at times and yeah in general, I prefer the sounds of the original US H61R and BIABH to any of the reissues. Which original BOB would you be referring to? original stereo, mono, CD?

The Canadian 1st mono pressing also is very different, it's 4th Time around has that accordion sounding keyboard(?) throughout like the UK 1st stereo has, unlike the US 1st mono. And SELOTLL has more powerful kick drums than the US 1st mono... maybe the Canadian 1st mono was a type of fold down? I don't know but I love the outcome. I love the BigBlue mix for it's more centered, flat sound and how it's doesn't have any cavernous reverb added

A few weeks ago I compared a bunch of BOBs I have and made playlists for listening to it either way
    [​IMG]

8. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Plus they probably include a remaster of the original album, a la Self-Portrait, yes?

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  9. Kelvin Sherlock

Kelvin Sherlock Well-Known Member

I hope not... it's been remastered already (eg, 2003 hybrid SACD).

10. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Don’t know anything about a remastered version of the released album, nor content of any 2cd version if released. I just know there will be an ‘alternate’ version of the album (cd and presumably vinyl) in addition to the 6 cd set. Whether this will be a straight version of the acetate as we know it or a version entirely from alternate takes, again I don’t know.

11. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

An alternate Blood On the Tracks is an interesting idea. There are plenty of "alternate" versions of official albums in the unofficial world, and plenty of "alternate live" albums of the studio albums in the unofficial world, but this will be the first time it's been done officially. I would hesitate to tinker with people's memories and the historical albums in that way, but ... like I said, it could be interesting.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  12. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Well this is what I was told anyway. Tracklist for the 6cd set is known to a few people but unfortunately I don’t have the final tracklist myself and haven’t seen a tracklist for the single(?) cd version yet. Just been told it’s an ‘alternate version’ (paraphrase)
    I’d be surprised if a tracklist and artwork doesn’t either leak or get officially released by the end of next week.

13. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Bear in mind that we tend to assume, maybe even expect, that the record company will cram the full playing time onto a CD when we do these calculations. Sometimes they do but Big Blue, for example, had some very short CD lengths.

Furthermore, the blurb from the never-to-be-mentioned Clinton's upcoming "tie-in" book says:-

In the first of a new incarnation of the Wanted Man Study Series, Clinton Heylin’s monograph tells the story of the ‘New York’ Blood On The Tracks filtered through the searing lens of hindsight with the full session tapes as witness.

If BS 14 contained full session tapes from Minneapolis I'd posit that Clinton's monograph would tell the whole BOTT story (regardless of his distaste for the Sound 80 songs). I'd be surprised if BS 14 didn't have the five familiar Sound 80 "final" takes, but they might be alone on the 6th CD which, consequently, would be very short indeed. This would leave five CDs modestly packed with New York sessions in chronological order.

The single CD could be an "alternative" BOTT culled from the New York sessions. Logic would suggest that it should be a recreation of the test pressing, but the test pressing contains five versions that are on the official release. Perhaps a more innovative single CD would be an "alternative alternative" New York sessions BOTT with none of the takes featured on the test pressing (**). In this way, it would serve as a sampler for the 6 CD box as well.

**(Krogsgaard indicates that there is only one New York take of "....Jack of Hearts" which was on the test pressing, of course. If that is the case then it would, by default, end up on the single CD. Maybe there's another New York "...Jack of Hearts" with the Deliverance Band in full-tilt ramshackle mode which somehow escaped the attention of Krogsgaard. The AFM recording contract sheet indicates that the band played it. Long shot, I know...)

[​IMG]

#

14. Graham

Graham Senior Member

All that means is that the Dylan people didn’t grant access or that Uncut’s go-to-press deadline was too early.

CRadtke likes this.
  15. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Or that they were too busy with The Beatles or Pink Floyd again.

Dark Horse 77 likes this.
  16. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

I didn't mean they'd re-remaster it (although I'm not sure I knew it had been remastered since I tend to avoid those), just include the remastered version in the package.

17. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Trying to figure out how a lens can be searing. Even in h8ndsight. I guess if you put it in direct sunlight and want to burn what you are examining microscopically. Who comes up with this stuff?

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  18. Percy Song

I think it is he-who-should-not-be-discussed-here.... :)

Mr. Explorer and Sean Murdock like this.
  19. Percy Song

Now that I've fully woken up I think it would be safe to offer up another of my hat-munching forfeits...

There's no way the test pressing version of BOTT will be issued as the single CD / 2LP version. There would be rioting in the streets if five of the performances on it were already available on the official BOTT, regardless of whether the mix was tweaked or not. I'm hat-nibblingly certain that the single CD will be a selection of BOTT alternate takes from the box but without the test pressing performances (apart from "...Jack of Hearts" if there is no alternate NY version).

This also opens up another revenue stream for the same material if the test pressing version were to be recreated, with the original mixes, on vinyl for a Record Store Day special in April, 2019.

20. I have done something similar - I made an alternative BOB and HW61 from The Cutting Edge discs, as I'm sure many others have done. I also have the vinyl of Cutting Edge.
    I have the 2003/04 reissues in stereo on CD, the mono reissues on CD, and stereo and mono vinyls of both albums. No original pressings though, I don't think.... but enough to know that both albums are best listened to on vinyl, in mono :)
    Looks like some of us have spent a fortune on this material over the years, might make for an interesting thread.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    Mr. Explorer, Sean Murdock and PADYBU like this.
  21. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

That’s my understanding in not so many words. Might be inaccurate but let’s wait and see.
    Remember, the NY version of Jack of Hearts has never been officially released or even heard from a non-acetate source.

22. neilpatto

neilpatto Forum Resident

Ha! Windfall, I was thinking the same thing. I don't mind Heylin myself but that press blurb is something else!

windfall likes this.
  23. Percy Song

Yes, of course, thanks for the correction; I got my knickers in a twist there. The test pressing "...Jack of Hearts" will be fine on the single CD. We don't need to hope for another NY version - it's not one of the five New York performances on the official BOTT. Please excuse my momentary lapse of reason... :)

Mr. Explorer and Sean Murdock like this.
  24. Percy Song

CH book launch date for those in UK. 13 October. I suspect there'll be a podcast or video for transmission after the event:-

Book Launch | No One Else Could Play That Tune

Nice photo of the Reference Recording at the end of the piece...

25. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

I thought the idea of an alternate album release for this would be weird but then I figured it's fitting seen as after all, this is the bootleg series. I don't have much hope for it's cover art after seeing the box's though

Mr. Explorer likes this.