Bob Dylan – Bootleg Series Vol. 14: More Blood, More Tracks (2 Nov 2018)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Nov 2, 2016.

1. slane

slane Forum Resident

I think it's just the 'Down the tracks' part, myself.

I'm not sure that the new vocal parts would actually be punched-in over the original parts (though they could be). I would imagine that the new parts were recorded onto a separate track, and then the faders manipulated between vocal tracks in the mix.

Yes, LR&TJOH seems to go a bit muffled on that particular line. Could be another reason, but maybe the lack of bleed from the band on a punched-in section would alter the overall ambience there?

Percy Song and RayS like this.
  2. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I think you can hear a fragment of the “s” at the end of “tracks” as the track edits to the other vocal. What makes you feel the two “Down ...” lines are not from the same source?

dee likes this.
  3. slane

slane Forum Resident

The tone of the voice. Yes, the 's' is a bit clumsy.

dee and RayS like this.
  4. dee

dee Senior Member

Fwiw, honest as I was typing it or actually thumbing my way through the phone, I thought gee, are they the same vocal take too because it seemed like so similar execution and then the same dynamic emotive change in the last verse followed by the affecting harmonica solo.

Very helpful honestly to have experts and insights on Dylan's work and all it relates to in these threads and so be able to have a question or two answered really helps. I spend a lot of time on tryimg to collect and listen to Who records, and have been working through hearing and playing around with TWhiteA Super Deluxe set, and a homemade Electric Ladyland set for myself, so there is only so much time I have in a day, but this BOTT set has exceeded all and any expectations I had despite a few missimg MN. takes and reading about the IW organ fiasco. Also, the liner notes, discography notes issues, which is why fwiw I have been using Disc/Track # rather than Take/Remake after reading about some issues in the booknotes.

Although I got to this set 'last' from a few others, I enjoy the intense focus and number of takes on basically only the album tracks themselves but obviously Up To Me is an essential, welcome addition to the set.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  5. dee

dee Senior Member

Alright cool, I will listen to the original mix and remix of IW and at least that verse in Lily and compare. A good excuse to hear and contrast both mixes. Plus it might even be more of a mornimg jolt than one more cup of coffee before I hit the road ;) although I total tea instead ;)

6. dee

dee Senior Member

Opinions fwiw on the original mixes and remixes...
    Source: cd layer from BOTT sacd and Disc 6 MBMT...

TUIBlue: Original album mix. Feels perfect in that it has a rolling and tumbling quality to it. Momentum. The vocal carries it but it's got ample musical muscle aided by a strong stereo-wide mix where instruments sound distinct and yet together. It feels exciting to listen to it. The remix seems more reserved to me and the band sounds like they are mixed back a little too far back compared to the vocal. Prefer the original.

Lily. Original album mix. Another relatively wide mix considering the sparse arrangement. The harmonica, organ, drum, guitar, and bass occupy different, distimct spaces in the mix. Vocal cemtered. Listening to it I feel though as though the key narrative of the vocal gets lost just a little bit imo. In other words, I find myself a little distracted by the volume of the acoustic on the left and the organ on the right, even though it sounds well-balanced and adds continual motion and flow, maybe too much. The remix is noticeably more narrow in imaging but it helps get over or across the lead vocal 'immensely' imo. Although it doesn't have the musical space the original mix does, it has the vocal and therefore lyric center stage. Slightly prefer the remix for the reason above.

(I missed when Lily took her dress off ;) will have to go back to it).

If You See Her. Original album mix. Seems okay, fine to me fwiw. Remix, love the organ mix in the intro but then it carries on too long at that level imo. It's competing with the vocal space a little too much for me. I like the passion of the vocal but prefer the NY takes. Seems like he is trying a little too hard to my ears the more the song goes on in the MN. performance. Not really a huge fan of either.

Big Girl. Original album mix. Like TUIBlue, I find it seems perfect for me. Tough act to follow. The remix, loved the intro, but the vocal sounds ever so slightly right of center? Don't like that, otherwise, I like the remix. Perfectly satisfied fwiw with the original mix of Big Girl.

Idiot Wind. Original album mix. Damn what a tour de force vocal to match the lyrics and the approach. I can't be bothered rigth now fwiw to listen for an overdub lol. It's all too immersive and demanding and enjoyably cathartic an experience for me. The 'tracks' line did seem quickly close on the heels of another. Wouldn't change a thing I guess.
    I don't know, the remix doesn't seem to have the same aura and explosive energy about it, to my ears.

Fwiw, I like most of the MN. remixes but seem to prefer all the originals except for Lily.

JohnKale and shadow blaster like this.
  7. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Amazing post.

MRamble and Percy Song like this.
  8. Richard--W

Was David Zimmerman married?

If he was married they should ask his wife or ex where he put the tapes.

9. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Message from UK store Badlands, this morning:-

We have limited stock remaining of the box set and vinyl versions of More Blood More Tracks
    BOTH THESE FORMATS ARE NOW DELETED BY SONY AND WE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO GET MORE STOCK ONCE THESE HAVE GONE.

10. RayS

11. voles

voles Forum Lurker

You were obviously lying when you promised...

12. voles

voles Forum Lurker

Is a 'Chapbook' a book written by chap?

Archtop likes this.
  13. Richard--W

I don't have to worry. I bought two copies of each. This is Blood On the Tracks, you know.

14. voles

voles Forum Lurker

Yes Minnesota was a fresh area.

15. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

More from the people at Route :-

"In his book No One Else Could Play That Tune Clinton Heylin notes that the only contemporary radio interview in which Bob Dylan discussed Blood On The Tracks was with Mary Travers but he carefully steered her away from it after a brief exchange. This is said interview (just the talk, the commercials and music are edited out). They also talk Woody Guthrie, topical songs, and about the then forthcoming Basement Tapes release. At one stage the conversation gets a little philosophical until Bob points out to Travers that she is crossing another one of his red lines."

#

16. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Are you in the Ministry of Silly Walks? :nyah:

Chapbook is a standard bookseller term for a relatively small, soft-cover bound (or wraps, if you prefer) book, typically with stapled or occasionally sewn binding, usually consisting of fewer than about 30 pages or so.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  17. voles

voles Forum Lurker

Like a booklet or a slim volume then? Sorry never heard the term in my life...

I applied for the MOSW but my walk was too silly...

Archtop likes this.
  18. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

Speaking of vocal punch-ins, I simply do not hear the difference on "topless place". (Maybe I need headphones?) But if this is so, does that mean they erased the take with "roadside place"?

Song-By-Song thread: There are still about 60 pages of older posts in this thread I have to go through. Now this. :rant:

19. RayS

I never heard the edit (for 30 years plus) until I heard the original version, making it clear that there WAS an edit. The "donor" take of the "topless place" line was (poorly) patched on the boxed set by borrowing that brief section from yet another take, instead of simply having the original piece digitally restored. They got it wrong because they confused which take was which (ditto "Idiot Wind").

20. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

I can order this for $70. Should I get it even with the missing pages from the notebook? Will they fix it on future copies?

21. George P

George P Notable Member

Yes!

No

revolution_vanderbilt and Jerryb like this.
  22. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

Sorry I can’t let this go: the main deciding factor is a few missing pages of a notebook? I would say pass if having the almost complete sessions for a good price is not that important to you.

voles, Jerryb and superstar19 like this.
  23. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

What I meant was if I wait a few months will it be corrected? Now that I know it won't be fixed if I wait I'm ordering it right now.

voles likes this.
  24. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

They aren't correcting anything. Buy it now and don't worry.

Jerryb likes this.
  25. Richard--W

Quick! Buy It Now! while it lasts!

You can't listen to paper pages. The mistake in pages stands. The music is what you want. Go get it before it's too late.

Jam757 and TheLoveDrags like this.