Bob Dylan – Bootleg Series Vol. 14: More Blood, More Tracks (2 Nov 2018)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

This may be old news to most and I've read it before, but in preparation for Big Red I came across the 24th September Buddy Cage steel guitar overdub session in the Gill/Odegard book, "A Simple Twist of Fate". This session is not mentioned by Krogsgaard or Bjorner (although the book does credit MK for the information). So, add another 11 tracks to the blood-red box!

Even in my wildest dreams I can't imagine that the banter at this session, as reported by Buddy, will be included. Talking about his attempts to pin down his overdub for "Meet Me In The Morning", he has this to say:-

"Let me do it two or three times and you'll have it - I'm that quick..... But that's not what Dylan wanted, apparently: He ended up flashing the light time after time after time, and I found myself having to do six or seven takes.... Not only was my wrist getting tired, but there was no conversation, no instructions, no nothing, just "Do it again, do it again"....

"I was getting really uncomfortable. Then finally the door to the control room opened, and Dylan comes striding out, walks straight up to my steel, and sticks the toes of his cowboy boots under my pedal bar....and says, "The first five verses is singin' - you don't play; the last verse is playin' - you play!" (He) plunks his toes out from under my pedal bar, turns, and strides back into the control room.

"So the red light comes on and I just did one take. I played lightly over the first five verses, but the one where he wanted me to get major was on the verse with "Look at that sun, sinkin' like a ship""

Nobody supervises a Bob Dylan overdub session like Bob Dylan

[​IMG]

In the same book I see that the two Minnesota sessions have had some meat added to the skeleton that MK and OB report (although again the book credits MK with the information). Accordingly, we can add at least another 9 tracks to Big Red.

Looks like it's a big old box set to me....:)

#

nfmboss666, PADYBU, slane and 7 others like this.
  2. scottc

scottc Forum Resident

One of the main reasons I want a BOTT box is a book full of stuff like this. What I really want to see is Bob's original handwritten lyrics for TUIB. I want to get the title tattooed on my arm in Bob's original feverish scrawl.

redsock, Alfie Noakes and DeeThomaz like this.
  3. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

Y'all are getting worked up for BS 14!!! I keep thinking that we are going to get official word soon.

I actually don't care what they do, I'm in for whatever. 70s and 80s Bob are totally my thing.

vitorbastos123 likes this.
  4. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

That's fantastic. I don't think I've seen it before. Though I must confess, as a Marvel comics fan growing up, the drawing that sometimes pops into my head when I hear "Lily, Rosemary and The Jack of Hearts" is of this dapper fellow:

[​IMG]

5. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

Interesting to see an upright bass in the drawing. The bass on the song sounds like it was recorded by direct injection, and I always assumed we were hearing the treble pickup on an electric Jazz Bass. It doesn’t have any of that wonderful upright ‘bloom’ to it at all, which indicates that they didn’t use a microphone, so the upright must have had a piezo pickup on it. Which would explain why I’ve always hated the sound of the bass of LR&TJOH. I have an instant aversion to the sound of piezo pickups by themselves. I almost always skip that song because I can’t stand the tone of the bass for nine minutes. Now I know why! It makes so much sense.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  6. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

7. Moth

Moth fluttering by

nfmboss666, Natural E and DeeThomaz like this.
  8. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

Alderson confirmed, “‘Blood On The Tracks’ (is) being reissued soon with all the NYC recordings, as a box set.”

9. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Gaslight is so unrelated I’m wondering if it might be something like a vinyl-only fall RSD exclusive? In any case, if the report is accurate (and Alderson certainly would have reason to know, in regards to The Gaslight at least), it will be the first case of Sony releasing material that was previously included in one of the Copyright Extension sets.

nfmboss666, Percy Song and Moth like this.
  10. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

Certainly didn't see this coming, re Gaslight. RTR postponed til 2019? Can't see them issuing 3 archival releases this year.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  11. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

12. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Wow. Looks like I’m in for pretty much whatever this year.

13. S1m0ne

S1m0ne Forum Resident

What if the next Bootleg Series installment will be the Gaslight, and BOTT will simply be a super deluxe edition box set, out of the BS releases? I know it would be unusual for Dylan Inc., but...
    Then, RTR next year with a soundtrack album unrelated to BS (like Live 1966), with maybe a deluxe edition that includes the Scorsese movie and the Hard Rain special.

nfmboss666 and asdf35 like this.
  14. Scott6

Scott6 Forum Resident

I think personally for something like Blood On The Tracks I would prefer a 3/4CD box. I don't really need 10/18 CD box sets. As incredible as the 65/66 box set was, I simply do not play it.

15. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

Jimmy B. likes this.
  16. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

You can call me Sony
    You can call me Legacy
    You can call me Bootleg Series
    You can call me Big Blue
    But you’re gonna release some body of work...

17. bem

bem Forum Resident

Exciting possibilities all the way around. I was hoping for more stuff to be released than just one set whatever it might be. I am okay with prioritizing purchases. Yea!!!!

MRamble likes this.
  18. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Could Gaslight be another Brandeis/San Diego “value added” retailer incentive and not a stand-alone set?

Aside from being recorded in NYC, I can’t think of much that connects BOTT to Gaslight.

19. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

My guess is Gaslight is for RSD Black Friday and we might also get a BOTT RSD Black Friday single to promote the box if it happens

nfmboss666 and DeeThomaz like this.
  20. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Exactly what I was thinking.

21. Kevin Davis

Kevin Davis EQUIPMENT PROFILE INCOMPLETE

I have the 1CD Gaslight album from Starbucks and never listen to it. I'm kind of sated on this period, to be honest -- it's historically significant stuff but it is extremely well-represented in the official canon already. I'll be disappointed if it's the next Bootleg Series set.

22. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I tend to agree. I have been hoping that they would release an equivalent boxset to the 1966 live set that covers the earliest live recordings up until 1965. I had imagined Gaslight (as well as Town Hall and Carnegie Hall) would be included in such a set.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  23. 1ifbyrain2ifbytrain

1ifbyrain2ifbytrain Forum Resident

The Finjan Club is wonderful and something I return to fairly frequently.
    Information from bobsboots:
    Finjan Club
    source: Finjan Club, July 2, 1962Tracks:

Death Of Emmett Till
    Stealin' (Trad - Memphis Jug Band arr)
    Hiram Hubbard (Trad)
    Blowin' In The Wind
    Rocks and Gravel (Brownie McGhee)
    Quit Your Lowdown Ways
    He Was A Friend of Mine (Trad )*
    Let Me Die In My Footsteps
    Two Trains Runnin' (McKinley Morganfield)
    Ramblin' On My Mind (Robert Johnson)
    Muleskinner Blues (Jimmie Rodgers)
    * Traditional song that was registered to Bob Dylan in the US copyright office

24. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

In a previous Rolling Stone article, the Dylan source mentioned the possibility of a set that gathered up his early coffee house recordings. That’s where I assumed we’d someday get Gaslight. Wonder if this means that concept has been scrapped?

In any case, I like how it indicates that the Copyright Extension sets are not necessarily The Final Resting Place for some of the material they cover. It gives me renewed optimism that, say, a Complete Studio Sessions 61-64 box could be a realistic possibility— which I’d guess would require fewer CDs than last year’s Trouble No More.

25. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I have a slightly different wish for the 1961 - 64 period. I would like them to pull together all the outtakes into one release. I know this would be mostly a mopping up exercise but this would be a great companion to the original albums.

In fact I would even pull some of the Broadside recordings and radio recordings into this.

This was his most prolific period and I think it would be mind-blowing to a lot of people how many songs he recorded that were just not included on the original albums.