Bob Dylan - Bootleg Series Vol. XII "The Cutting Edge"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Abbey Road, Oct 16, 2014.

1. George P

George P Notable Member

Can I ask what the Supper Club Dylan material people are referring to?

2. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I would think that an expanded of "Hard Rain" (I assume SONY has complete versions of Fort Worth and Fort Collins '76 in their vaults - both together in a set might be overkill, but such things have been with other expanded live albums) would be the only logical landing place for a "bonus" DVD of the TV special (not to mention the aborted TV special).

HominyRhodes likes this.
  3. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

I agree, the Gospel years has to be 4 - 6 discs, plus a DVD.

plus plus plus

I'll also cast a vote for the Rundown Studio Rehearsals (for the '78 concerts) and The Supper Club.

Have to have the complete Supper Club someday with Weeping Willow! "Aw Shucks!"

We've just had the brilliant Another Self Portrait. They could stay with that theme of late 60's early 70's and do Another New Morning. I'd be thrilled.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  4. RayS

Mine certainly has the issue - I thought it was a stretched tape or a bad edit trying to cover a damaged tape.

5. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

They are four shows that Dylan professionally recorded in '93, reportedly for an MTV special prior to shelving them in favor of the later Unplugged show. They all circulate in fine quality, but forum rules don't let us direct you them.

voles, George P and fallbreaks like this.
  6. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

In November 1993, shortly after the release of World Gone Wrong, he played four shows at a small venue in NYC called The Supper Club. The shows were professionally recorded and filmed, but the material wasn't used at the time. The setlists were a cool mix of newer material, older material, folk songs and some Dylan obscurities, and the band was mostly unplugged. I prefer these shows to Unplugged, although that's not saying much really. You can find clips on YouTube searching Supper Club 1993 minus Dylan's name.

EDIT: Oops! DeeThomaz beat me to it!

George P likes this.
  7. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

Some of the best audio quality ever, no question. Unfortunately, Dylan sounds a little tired to me, or perhaps they simply put his vocals too high in the mix (it was for TV, after all) , but I have to say, I don't find them especially pleasant to listen to.

fallbreaks likes this.
  8. RayS

I'd add that it was a very intimate venue, and the tickets were (amazingly) free. He did two shows a night for two nights. I was lucky enough to be there for one - it was sort of like he was in the kitchen singing and I was in the living room watching (it's literally a supper club, so it was tables with no raised seating). Portions of some of the performances were released (sort of) on the "Highway 61" Interactive CD-ROM (the somewhat misguided attempt to make a Dylan-themed video game).

9. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Don't apologize-- you gave the far better and more comprehensive description!

10. HominyRhodes

In a multi-disc set, I would like the "original" BOTT (as first issued, then withdrawn) on its own disc. Then all of the NY sessions, then all of the Minnesota sessions. I still don't think they should go forward (maybe include Abandoned Love live at The Other End) or backward from there.

11. HominyRhodes

Did you make your own tape that night, by any chance?? :whistle:

12. RayS

Don't forget this "gem":

HominyRhodes likes this.
  13. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Since they're doing the Complete Basement Tapes, I'm totally fine with them holding back on BOTT for a while, and I assume they will, as its (I think) probably the last true "biggie" they have in their vault, that the vast majority of fans are united in their desire for, as the 60s have been pretty extensively mined already.

Plus the Basement Box should keep us all occupied and happy for the next couple years anyway.

14. RayS

I "retired" from taping shows when DAT come to prominence in the early 90's (trading DAT tapes really made "completist" tape trading an expensive hobby, I wasn't springing for a portable deck for shows to boot). A friend seated at my table did tape all 4 shows on DAT though, forever preserving my audible gasp when "Tight Connection To My Heart" started :)

DeeThomaz and HominyRhodes like this.
  15. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

In terms of "low hanging fruit" it seems the Blonde on Blonde Sessions are still in the wings. Given it's reputation, I imagine it would be both an easy sell and a rewarding listening experience. But yeah, I am eager to see other eras explored too.

16. HominyRhodes

I have that on vinyl (it's just weird!), and there is an outtake session tape, with Bob trying to counsel poor Bette, who says she seems to have trouble controlling her "emotions" as she gets older.

17. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

It can't be overstated how essential the "test pressing" version of BoTT is. Even if only five of the ten tracks are different performances, the effect of hearing the original "Tangled Up In Blue" transition to "Simple Twist Of Fate" (as one example) is a radically different listening experience from the original album (pretty sure I've made this point more than once on previous threads!).

Also, a Super Deluxe box SHOULD include a recreation of the "Little Red Notebook" along the lines of the Springsteen Darkness box-- even if that means abandoning the format used by the deluxe TTS, ASP, and CBT sets.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  18. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Great spot on that where she mentions where she lives and casually asks Bob where he's living. Silence. Deafening.

DeeThomaz and HominyRhodes like this.
  19. HominyRhodes

So you, for one, don't really "need" a Bootleg Series release of the shows, do ya? ;)

But speaking objectively, since you were there, do you think it would make a good release? I know that the sound was optimum, and the set lists cannot be beat for variety and rarity, but was he at the top of his game during those shows? Did he "bring it"?

20. HominyRhodes

You, also, should be hired by Sony Legacy. :edthumbs:

21. INSW

INSW Senior Member

I agree - not a big fan of the Supper Club shows.

22. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Er, I am "entertaining offers" these days.

23. RayS

I think I'm not a good person to ask for an objective answer. I saw Dylan about 60 times, and that night at the Supper Club was by far the closest I ever sat. I was in Dylan fan heaven, and I can't listen to those shows without rekindling that feeling, or the general excitement that surrounded that time period. I can say I played the audience tapes to death for a couple of years after, and then played the soundboards a lot when they appeared. I will say, IMO, Supper Club > Complete Unplugged > Legit Unplugged CD ... but I'm biased. Lacked the "tight connection" to get into the Unplugged audience. Supper Club has a looser, ragged but right, basementy feel. Unplugged is more polished but less spontaneous.

24. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Even that sublime "Ring Them Bells" that was on TTS?

25. HominyRhodes

I'll have to go back and listen to that one again, but I do like the Oh Mercy cut quite a bit.