Bob Dylan - Bootleg Series Vol. XII "The Cutting Edge"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Abbey Road, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Tom Thumbs Booze

Tom Thumbs Booze Forum Resident

Just for fun I've given each of the 18 cds appropriate titles, loosely based on the recording/ selection process and taken from the lyrics of a song on the disc (apart from Disc 18 which is from a later song).If anyone can improve on any of these please share your efforts.Thanks.

Disc 1 BUT YOU'RE DOIN' IT AGAIN
    Disc 2 PLAY A SONG FOR ME
    Disc 3 WELL I'VE BEEN UP ALL NIGHT, BABY
    Disc 4 NO SECRETS TO CONCEAL
    Disc 5 A MELODY SO PLAIN
    Disc 6 HE NEEDS YOU TO TEST HIS INVENTIONS
    Disc 7 MY FINGERS ARE ALL IN A KNOT
    Disc 8 THE CIRCUS IS IN TOWN
    Disc 9 THE GHOST OF 'LECTRICITY
    Disc 10 THE PAWNBROKER ROARED
    Disc 11 YOUR VOICE WAS ALL THAT I HEARD
    Disc 12 I STOOD THERE AND HUMMED
    Disc 13 YOUR WORDS AREN'T CLEAR
    Disc 14 FURNISH ME WITH TAPE
    Disc 15 SITTING HERE BEATING ON MY TRUMPET
    Disc 16 TONIGHT AS I STAND INSIDE THE RAIN
    Disc 17 THE LONESOME ORGAN GRINDER CRIES
    Disc 18 STAYIN' UP FOR DAYS IN THE CHELSEA HOTEL

DeeThomaz, Archtop, ralphk and 2 others like this.
  2. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Discs 19-24 WHAT WE SHOULDA GOT ON GOOD TAPE (THE LATE 1966 SESSIONS)

bumbletort likes this.
  3. Tom Thumbs Booze

Furnish us with even more cds??

DISC 24 Can this really be the end?

4. Tom Thumbs Booze

These are the main lyrical differences between the 3 complete takes of 'Sad eyed lady of the lowlands' compared to the transcript in lyrics 1962-2001.

Take 1 10:08

No harmonica in intro

Verse 1 starts at 00:16
    'months that climb' instead of 'missionary times'
    Verse 2 02:17
    'into your eyes like mirrors'
    Verse 3 04:12
    Verse 4 06:06
    Verse 5 07:58
    'with your thief you stand'
    end of verse 5 09:49
    All Choruses
    'where the prophet says' (not sad-eyed prophet)

No harmonica finish

Take 3 12:20

No harmonica in intro

Verse 1 starts at 00:09
    'could think he could bury/carry you'
    'put out on the grass'
    'with his warehouse eyes, his arabian drums'
    'sad you think i should wait,
    sad eyed lady at your gate'
    Verse 2 02:17
    'would try to outguess you'
    'no man goes'
    'must I wait'
    Verse 3 04:21
    'could think they could resist you'
    Verse 4 06:22
    'I see they did decide'
    'and to try to hide'
    'have persuaded you'
    'put them by you gate'
    Verse 5 08:20
    end of verse 5 10:13

harmonica to fade at 12:15

Take 4 11:26

Harmonica in intro

Verse 1 starts at 00:16
    'should I put them by your gate'
    Verse 2 02:10
    should I put them by your gate'
    Verse 3 04:04
    Verse 4 05:57
    Verse 5 07:51
    end of verse 5 09:41

harmonica to fade at 11:20

I have also noted at what time in the track each verse starts, to partly explain the different track lengths.
    Take 1 (the 'Happy Prophet' version ie not Sad-eyed!) has a noticably shorter coda than the other two.

5. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Nice work!

The fact that he just sings "prophet," but then makes the switch for the rest of the takes, makes me think that he might he wrote the lyrics first, and perhaps if he did have some music in his head, it was not as concrete as what he finally came up with. When just writing lyrics, it is easy to think that you've got the perfect amount of syllables, but when you finally set them to music, you might find that things "just don't fit."

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  6. Tom Thumbs Booze

Thankfully he didn't take the following line literally in his songwriting process
    ''My syllables just won't fit
    Yes, I believe it's time for us to quit'' :cussing:

7. Tom Thumbs Booze

Does anyone know if there are any versions (discounting re mixes) of songs that appear on the 1965-66 discs of the' Ten of Swords' set, that are NOT on the 18 disc 'Cutting Edge'? The only tracks I can see that are not on 'Cutting Edge' are probably 'Miami Sales Message' and possibly 'Jet Pilot' (the MAD EXTRA!).
    'Medicine Sunday' is titled 'Midnight Train' on TOS and 'Instrumental' is titled 'Number One'.

8. Toddarino

Toddarino Total Hunk

Apologies if this has been answered already but can anyone tell me if there is a full take of the piano version of Desolation Row on the collectors set?

9. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Sadly, no.

George P likes this.
  10. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Not a bass harmonica. An electric keyboard.

11. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

If I had to pick one single thing that was a killer to not have in this set, it's a complete solo piano take of Desolation Row. That two minute (or however long it was) take is probably my favorite two minutes on the box. Kind of heartbreaking there wasn't a full take recorded.

Carserguev likes this.
  12. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Was just playing this on a long train ride this weekend. Only made it through the Highway 61 Revisited sessions, but man, this thing has been more enjoyable than I expected.

13. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

563 pages. Impressive. I am lazy and can't surf this entire thread. How does the vinyl set of Bootleg Vol. 12 sound? I am becoming a pretty HUGE Dylan fan. Is this one of the better Bootleg offerings? I think I currently have Vol. 1-3, 4, and 5 but have not yet heard the others.

14. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

One other question, is there a consensus preference of the U.S. Vinyl or Europe vinyl version?

15. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

16. Thank you for the heads-up! :tiphat:

Worth the trip to the thread. Incredible details about those particular shows and awesome ephemera.

Richard--W and Clanceman like this.
  17. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

Cutting Edge is an exhilarating listening experience. I prefer listening to it than the original albums. So many of the out-takes are giddily fantastic, but it's also the whole shebang--the various drafts of each song lined up against each other that makes for a unique (and new?) kind of listening experience. And the sound quality is pretty damn good too.

18. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Agree 100%

19. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Sticking with the lazy newcomer routine that's being shown here, has anyone created individual artworks for each of the bonus download-only concerts? I know there are some in the imaginary artwork thread, but just checking…

Dflow likes this.
  20. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I get up caught up in the hypnosis of Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands. If there were twelve hours of it I'd dive right in and stay there.

smoke, NumberEight, Archtop and 2 others like this.
  21. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I agree, but look --those three albums on which The Cutting Edge is based, are three of the greatest albums ever, and a 1-2-3 punch few artists have matched. Listening to them now--especially Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde on Blonde is still an exhilarating experience. But because we've heard them so many times--some of you guys have been listening since they came out in 65/66--exploring The Cutting Edge feels like a fresh, new experience.

22. George P

George P Notable Member

Are you referring to the 6CD set or the 18CD set?

23. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Does anyone believe that at some point Dylan/Sony will put out--if not exactly The Cutting Edge Part II-- another set culled from "the best" of the 18-disc set that didn't make it onto the 6 -disc box? Maybe another two or three discs?
    Or do you think some of those tracks might be dispersed with possible "expanded" editions of Bringing it All Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde on Blonde ?

24. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I think the second scenario is much more likely

25. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I wasn't ready for the 18-CD box when it arrived. I go in and out of Dylan phases, but once I go in, I don't generally come out for a while; hence my belated response. One observation worth noting that I didn't see in your fine post was at the end of the third verse on Take 1 of Sad Eyed Lady: At 5:50, Dylan clearly sings "Sara, should I leave them at your gate or sad-eyed lady should I wait?" I mean, it's not as if we didn't know who he was singing to, but this little personal nod hit me like a ton of bricks (that's twice now Bob; well done!).

It's moments like these that one realizes that we aren't really listening to a record, we're actually reading a love letter that perhaps wasn't meant to be seen nor heard by anyone but Bob and Sara. I suppose this explains why Bob is so very cryptic in interviews. He is so forthright in his songs that he really doesn't need to explain anything in an interview. We already know more about who he is and where he's at simply by listening to the music than we could ever get by asking even the most basic question. They've all been asked and answered on the records.

Last edited: May 20, 2017