Bob Dylan - Bootleg Series Volume 15 (Travelin’ Thru 1967-1969 (1st November 2019) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mbd77, Sep 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

I speculate that it is because the Earl Scruggs interview is in mono. I don't know this for sure; I haven't got that far yet.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  2. Percy Song

In this article by Raymond Foye (Rail), "Report from Tulsa: The Bob Dylan Archives. A Conversation with Clinton Heylin" , the conversation makes reference to the John Wesley Harding notebook:-

Rail: And not a man to waste time. . . One thing that I realized looking at these manuscripts is themes that I thought were specific to certain periods or certain albums are actually active concerns 10 years before, or ten years after — whether it’s Biblical concerns, aspects of folk tradition, just certain ideas that he brings to fruition in a song. He’s sometimes working with an idea, and in some cases actual lines, for 10 years.

Heylin: Certainly. In the John Wesley Harding notebook, there are all these Bible chapters and verses, literally things he’s referencing in the songs.

Rail: I got the feeling those were as much there for the cadence as the meaning.

Heylin: John Wesley Harding absolutely has the cadence of the King James Bible, which makes perfect sense for Dylan, because the three seminal texts of the English language at the absolute peak of its Golden Age, the Jacobean era, are Shakespeare’s First Folio, the King James Bible, and the Child Ballads. Even though Francis Child collects those ballads in the late nineteenth century, the language is that of the King James Bible. By that point Dylan knew the five volumes of Child Ballads inside out, but he only starts reading Shakespeare closely after the accident. He starts grappling with that material, and the King James Bible he would already have known. So all of those seminal sources crunch into John Wesley Harding, “If ye cannot bring good news, then don’t bring any”—you could place that aphorism in any of those three. You could put it in a ballad, as he does. You could put it in a Shakespeare soliloquy. You could put it in the Bible.

How exciting, on a scale of Alpha to Zulu, would it be if JWH was released with all the available outtakes and a facsimile of the complete notebook? Zulu...

3. slane

slane Forum Resident

All of the Scruggs material is mono, apart from Nashville Skyline Rag which has stereo overdubs.

The Johnny Cash Show tracks are also in mono.

4. Percy Song

Thanks for the clarification. One day I'll get past the JWH and NS stuff on this, but it won't be any time soon, especially with the additional pull of the NS outtakes on the 1969 Copyright Collection...!! :D

slane likes this.
  5. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I flipped my mono switch on for this record and did feel there was an improvement in sound quality.

6. Percy Song

The obvious recommendation is "At San Quentin", recorded a week after the Dylan/Cash Sessions and featuring the first live outing of "Wanted Man".

The 2006 Legacy 2CD Edition includes a DVD of the original hour-long 1969 TV film and can be purchased for peanuts. Its only drawback is the cover artwork; it's difficult to understand why the original iconic photo by Jim Marshall, present on all previous editions, wasn't used for this definitive edition.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Original cover

shadlet, Sean, Jam757 and 5 others like this.
  7. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I’ve listened to this set straight through twice now and it’s excellent, enjoy the hell out of it. The download that came with it sounds quite nice too. Glad to own it! Yeah the Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison and also San Quentin are both on my want lists. Does the 2006 CD maintain good dynamics?

8. Percy Song

I'm afraid I have no idea about dynamics, good or bad. I think it would be safe to say that no one on this forum has more impaired hearing than me or more inferior playback equipment than me. The performances are terrific, though.

9. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

I bought this set when it came out but just got around to listening.
    Hot damn it’s great.

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  10. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

The original cover is classic— and brats a striking resemblance to the cover of Dylan’s Greatest Hits Vol 2.

11. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I meant “ bears.”

12. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

Those who acknowledge the limitations of their own hearing and equipment (limitations which affect all of us to one degree or another) are in my humble opinion still more reliable on sound quality matters than those who claim to hear the difference in supersonic frequencies when using twenty-thousand dollar speaker cables made out of pure kryptonite.

13. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Take a look at "Folsom Prison" for yourself......

At Folsom Prison (Disc 1)

At Folsom Prison (Disc 2)

From memory San Quentin is also very good too, which as it was mastered by Vic Anesini is something you would expect!

14. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Nice, thank you. Perhaps I’ll pick this up. At some point I really do want to get the vinyl too.

15. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

The Legacy Edition for San Quentin appears to be out of print. Johnny Cash's iconic albums should be in print.

16. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Download?

to the grave likes this.
  17. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

It was probably the Amazon Autorip that I was referring to.

bobcat likes this.
  18. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Probably? Only you know...:)

Jam757 likes this.
  19. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I’ve listened to around 5,000 things between now and then, lol. I know not the most helpful. Let’s say I’m pretty sure I was referring to the Amazon autorip. I actually picked up around 5-6 Dylan box sets in a short period of time so it gets confusing!

bobcat likes this.
  20. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Enjoy!

What can we do at this time but listen to the music we love....

Jam757 likes this.
  21. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

The writing of JWH's songs has always been one of my favourites rock and roll mystery cases. I've always dreamed of taking this train to Nashville and grab a notebook to get some words down, just to experience it like Dylan.
    I've always loved one of his quotes on writing songs. You've got to be in movement, in motion...

By the way, has anybody here ever tried to make this trip New York to Nashville by train?

Last edited: May 2, 2020
    All Down The Line likes this.
  22. Claudio Dirani

Dylan's quote on Scaduto's book:

"I liked your book. That's the weird thing about it."
    —Bob Dylan

23. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Did Johnny Cash ever perform I Still Miss Someone the way he does here with Bob, with that chord change for the "I'll never get over her blue eyes" or is this the only time he did it like that?

24. Claudio Dirani

Geez...I cannot hear it. It's blocked for me. Has anybody kept that?
    thanks

25. George P

George P Notable Member

hodgo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.