Bob Dylan - Bootleg Series Volume 15 (Travelin’ Thru 1967-1969 (1st November 2019) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mbd77, Sep 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

Hey, you're right. There doesn't seem to be any way to actually order the item. Everything else in their shop seems to be readily available for purchase, but not the Dylan single. It doesn't seem like anyone else is offering it, either, so I hope they get their act together.

2. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

I've never actually seen video of Bob singing in his country voice! Fascinating!

HominyRhodes likes this.
  3. HominyRhodes

Great to see that clip of "Living the Blues" from FB in good quality at last. :righton:

Maybe TeamDylan is ready to start cranking up the publicity machine for the new box set, now only two weeks away...wow, can't wait.

Perfect time to finish up the 1967-69 session listings with Parts 7 and 8.

Parts 1 - 6 began here:
    Bob Dylan - Bootleg Series Volume 15 (Travelin’ Thru 1967-1969 (1st November 2019) *

Adapted from the listings at bjorner.com; "MK" refers to the comments of Michael Krogsgaard in his original Dylan sessionography.

1967-69 Sessions, Part 7 (April 1969):
    [​IMG]

I'll say it again -- very disappointing that "Running" (or is it "Runnin'"?) wasn't included on the upcoming set, even though it was once slated for inclusion the Dylan (1973) album. Either they've lost the master tape, or it must be a song that BD doesn't want released.

The final part of these summaries includes Dylan's live appearance for the taping of the Cash TV show, and his very last sessions in Nashville on May 3rd, where he recorded only a few cover versions, no new originals. He never returned to the Columbia studios on Music Row again, AFAIK.

Part 8 (May 1969):
    [​IMG]

Tracks from Dylan's final Nashville session on May 3, 1969 have found their way into the hands of collectors, since alternate versions of "Take A Message to Mary" and "Blue Moon" are in circulation, in crystal clear stereo, although the vocals are much too upfront in the mix. Eight rough mixes of tracks recorded in April & May have also long been available, taken from an acetate; six of the acetate tracks were ultimately released on Self Portrait, and the other two, "Ring of Fire" and "Folsom Prison Blues," will be on Travelin' Thru. (There are actually two circulating versions of ROF, one of which originated from a different acetate.)

Ironically, his final Nashville session was the only one where a photographer (Al Clayton) was allowed access -- no photos have ever turned up of Dylan in the studio there during the Blonde on Blonde or John Wesley Harding sessions in 1966 and '67.

[​IMG]

(Wondering if those are airplane tickets in the envelope sticking out of his pocket in all of the Clayton photos taken that day -- something about "Traveler's Insurance"?)

4. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

Nice work -- as always, HominyRhodes.
    Thank you.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  5. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Really looking forward to this one. What a rich, interesting period for Dylan (as most of them are).

6. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

7. George P

George P Notable Member

Just got this from amazon:

Hello,

We have good news! One of your pre-ordered items is now eligible for release date delivery and has been upgraded at no additional charge. Your new delivery estimate is:

Bob Dylan "Travelin' Thru, 1967 - 1969: The Bootleg Series, Vol. 15"
    Estimated arrival date: November 01, 2019

:goodie:

8. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Happy for you.

I'm going to the local record shop and buy it off the shelf when they open at 10am.

DeeThomaz, scotti and AGimS like this.
  9. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

Looking forward to this set! I bet the Dylan/Cash sessions will sound a lot better then the 'bootleg' recordings we've been hearing for years..

Also, I love those two different versions they released of 'tell me that it isnt true' and 'i pity the poor immigrant'- really sounds like genuine explorations he was making, with so many variations on what ended up on the official albums.

scotti, HominyRhodes and The MEZ like this.
  10. paidinblood

paidinblood Forum Resident

11. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Not directly relevant to Bootleg Series 15, but it does have a "15" in the title, so what the heck:

Today I watched the Hindi film "Article 15" (currently streaming on Netflix). Article 15 of the Indian Constitution prohibits caste discrimination, among other forms of discrimination. To my utter shock, one of those listed under "Thanks" in the opening credits is Jeff Rosen. A short time later, Dylan gets a "thank you" screen to himself (featuring an early 60s picture). Right after the opening credits, a portion of the original recording of "Blowin' in the Wind" plays.

A little Googling reveals the story behind its inclusion. It certainly sounds like Rosen and Dylan took a deep discount in order to support the mission of this film.

Wouldn’t have made Article 15 without Bob Dylan’s song: Anubhav Sinha

Sorry for going a bit off-topic, I just thought this was the most relevant place to share this information.

12. HominyRhodes

That's really interesting. Kudos to JR & BD.

RayS likes this.
  13. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Quite a scoop for Uncut Magazine to be given the first take of the first song recorded at the first session! Interesting, but perhaps not surprising, that Bob catches the control room snoozing so the tape rolls after the band starts. :)

Michael Krogsgaard was apparently given information that Take 2 was released on JWH but, with no specific evidence myself, I wonder whether this is mis-information or a typo. (Is there any corroborating info anywhere?) It doesn't sound to me, when Bob says after the stumbling end to Take 1, "You wanna try it again?", that they are about to embark on the master take. Given that the last take of songs at these sessions were chosen for the LP it seems most likely that Take 5 will be the master take and Take 2 will stay in the vault.

14. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

"Wanted Man" Take 1:

PADYBU, anth67, Percy Song and 13 others like this.
  15. RayS

"A mess" - check

Likely highlight of the whole set - check

16. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

A rather lovely mess, though!

17. slane

slane Forum Resident

Better (and longer) than I was expecting!

18. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

The best sort of mess, indeed!

19. dee

dee Senior Member

Cool, audio sounds good to me. Nice work on their individual singing parts.

Might try to have some fun trying a few edits but it is what it is when they are singing together (in different cities ;)) - maybe they were trying to throw the authorities off their trail ;). Then again boasting about it might only lead one of them back to NYC ;).

(Yes I too do believe I've had enough, of the above post)

Natural E, scotti and DeeThomaz like this.
  20. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

For what it’s worth, this is actually a preview of TWO tracks from TT, as it includes the studio chatter beforehand that’s indexed separately on the upcoming set.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  21. Don't get your hopes up. The two previewed songs are the only examples of vocals or arrangements which vary much from the originals.

22. RayS

The first minute and half or so is great!

streetlegal, dee and DeeThomaz like this.
  23. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

It definitely gets more disheveled as it goes on after that point, but that has its own charm too.

24. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

At the very least, we know “As I Went Out Last Morning” will be quite different, and based on the Uncut article, it sounds like “I Dreamed I Saw St Augustine” will be notable as well (though perhaps less dramatically).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.