Bob Dylan - Bootleg Series Volume 15 (Travelin’ Thru 1967-1969 (1st November 2019) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mbd77, Sep 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

They wrote it together when Dylan came to Nashville to record "Desolation Row", silly!

2. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Was that when he recorded the unreleased Christmas album Snow Over Interstate 80?

3. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

... in the church with no upstairs.

4. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

5. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Still no NPR preview. Are they still doing them for other artists?

6. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

7. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

HominyRhodes likes this.
  8. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

From the feature page:

(English)
    The contents of the November issue

Bob Dylan & Johnny Cash: In Transit
    {Travelin' Thru??}

How Bob Dylan Country made cool and what this has to do with Johnny Cash, explains the new episode of the "Bootleg Series" with recordings from the years 1967 to 1969 By Maik Brüggemeyer -- "Retreat To The Heart of the Country"
    [​IMG]

Percy Song, Critter and RayS like this.
  9. HominyRhodes

10. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

As opposed to the happy-go-lucky album take?

11. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

It's a knee-slapper...

Percy Song and DeeThomaz like this.
  12. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

I don’t believe they do this anymore. A search didn’t show anything current for the “First Listen” feature

Wayne Hubbard and DeeThomaz like this.
  13. Received 5 star review in Mojo!

14. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

They stopped doing full album previews and have a thing they call "New Music Fridays" where they do a mix of songs from new albums.

New Music Friday: Our Top 8 Albums Out On Oct. 25

HominyRhodes likes this.
  15. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Oh well. It was nice while it lasted. I seem to recall getting these NPR previews going back as far as Tell Tale Signs. The plus side, of course, is that more of the set will be fresh when we finally get to hear it in its entirety,

HominyRhodes likes this.
  16. gearyoleary

gearyoleary Well-Known Member

Apologies if this has been mentioned already but I notice this will be the second bootleg series vinyl release that is not a box. Seems a shame they are cheapening these packages. Some of the bootleg series vinyl boxes of years gone by have been really special releases, thick booklets inside with loads of info and great photos etc. Strange that they didn’t go for a box with this being 3xLPs...

17. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

18. HominyRhodes

Thanks for posting that. :thumbsup: Nice to hear a well-mixed version of it after all these years.

Travelin' Thru comes out this Friday -- can't wait.

19. siveld

siveld Forum Resident

I ordered from Amazon AU, current price $46 with free shipping (prime) ETA Nov 8 to 18. I don't mind waiting a tad.

SlimLee and HominyRhodes like this.
  20. HominyRhodes

Please don't leave us hanging -- are you going to buy the new box set, or not? :waiting:

:D

Percy Song and Jack like this.
  21. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

22. HominyRhodes

From Johnny's review:
    Maybe my favorite of the whole set is the cool and beautiful waltz of “As I Went Out One Morning”. Dylan’s singing is plain superb, just the way he sings “I offer´d her my hand” brings tears to my eyes. If you twist my arm and begs me to pick one version on this set that is even better than the released, this would be the obvious choice. That said, as usual, this is not the right question, we are just lucky to get to know all this beautiful songs in different shades and colors, also like here, as sketches from the master’s studio.

23. CO85275

CO85275 Well-Known Member

They did do a First Listen for The Rolling Thunder Revue and for The Bootleg Series 14. Unfortunately both of them dropped the Thursday before the scheduled Friday release date.

(1) Rolling Thunder
    (2) Bootleg 14

HominyRhodes likes this.
  24. HominyRhodes

Some additional insights about the Travelin' Thru period, from a 1978 Dylan interview with Jonathan Cott; a generous friend shared a copy of the original tape, and the transcript I made from it differs slightly from the edited version that eventually appeared in Rolling Stone magazine (e.g., he "half-stepped," he didn't "go half-stepping.") Although I've never been all that interested in BD's private life (a lot of the 'gossipalation' seems intrusive, IMO), I wish that the airline stewardess (yeah, yeah, I know they're called flight attendants nowadays) hadn't interrupted Bob just as he was about to talk about his "personal life" during the Nashville Skyline period -- any additional context explaining his so-called retreat into family life in Woodstock would have been interesting to hear.

TRANSCRIPT Jonathan Cott’s taped interview with Dylan September 17th 1978, en route to a concert that night in New Haven.

(1st excerpt)
    BD: ...I told ya, it took me awhile to get back to where I'm at, y'know? See... what I used to do before unconsciously, up to Blonde on Blonde... y'know...I can truthfully say that. What I was doing unconsciously, uh, I got a...I had a...(pause) I half-stepped one day...y'know, and the lights went out. And since that point, I've more or less had amnesia. Now, you can take that as literal, or as...or...or, as metaphysical, uh, as you need to, but that's what happened to me. And it took me a long time, so...to get it back, to get...to get to do consciously what I used to be able to do unconsciously for a measure(?)...and it's taken me all this time...and everybody, it happens to everybody, I mean...people could go through periods where they just don't do anything, y'know...and...or they lose it and have to regain it, y'know. Or they...when they lose something...when they lose something they gain something else. And what happened to me, when, uh...umm...it's taken me all this time, and those records I made along the way were like...openers. Tryin' to go, it...well, is it this way, is it that way?...y'know, uhh...just what is it? What's the simplest way I can tell the story? And, uh, make this feeling felt? So now I'm back...I'm back on track, and I don't know how long I'll be here, 'cause I don't know how long I'm gonna live, y'know, but, uh...What comes now is, is for real, from a place that I don't know...I don't know, y'know, I don't give a s___ who else knows or cares about it. Really just don't(?) But I care...

(2nd excerpt)
    BD: ...John Wesley Harding was a...an album...of, uh, fear. Just...dealing with fear. (Pauses, laughs at something Cott says) Is there what?

JC: How about airplanes?

BD: Yeah, well...

JC: But you're calling it down to two ___(?)

BD: Okay, but, uh...uh...dealing with that, dealing with fear in a fearful way, though, almost...and I knew...all I wanted was to get the words right. And, uh...but it was courageous to do it, because, uh, uh...y'know I could have not done it, too.

Anyway...Nashville Skyline was, uh, some place, uh...I won't even care to suggest. Uh, I mean, where that...what, what motivated that album because...I mean, obviously, I couldn't do that. But I mean, it was trying...I was trying to, uh...grasp something that would lead me on to...to where I thought I should be, and, uh...and it didn't go nowhere. Just went down, down, down. And, uh...my personal life was, uh...

(stewardess interrupts): Can I get you anything?

BD: I'll have another one of these...

Stewardess: Coffee?

BD: Yeah.

Stewardess: Sugar and cream?

BD: Mmm-hmm...No, no, just cream...And uh...(unintelligible, looking out plane window?)

JC: Looks like heaven from here (unintelligible)...

BD: Country of the kings...

BD: Anyway...uh, what had happened to me was, I mentioned...I remember mentioning to you this guy, in New York. I don't wannna mention his name...I did mention his name to you once in another interview. Anyway...I had a good fortune to meet this man. I was...I was convinced I wasn't gonna do anything... else. Uh, anyway, he, he taught me how to see, he put my mind and my hand and my eye together...and, uh, and with my...with my...uhhh...in a way that, that was conscious...doing conscious-ly what you unconsciously felt. And I didn't know how to pull it off, because I'm not...I wasn't sure if it could ever be done in songs, because I'd never written a song like that, but when I started doing it, the first album I made was Blood On The Tracks. And everybody agrees that that was pretty different...[followed by more about BOTT]

Portion of EDITED interview AS PUBLISHED in Rolling Stone, November 16, 1978

[excerpt]
    BD: Right through the time of Blonde on Blonde I was doing it unconsciously. Then one day I was half-stepping, and the lights went out. And since that point, I more or less had amnesia. Now, you can take that statement as literally or metaphysically as you need to, but that’s what happened to me. It took me a long time to get to do consciously what I used to be able to do unconsciously. It happens to everybody. Think about the periods when people don’t do anything, or they lose it and have to regain it, or lose it and gain something else. So it’s taken me all this time, and the records I made along the way were like openers – trying to figure out whether it was this way or that way, just what is it, what’s the simplest way I can tell the story and make this feeling real.

So now I’m connected back, and I don’t know how long I’ll be there because I don’t know how long I’m going to live. But what comes now is for real and from a place that’s — I don’t know, I don’t care who else cares about it.

John Wesley Harding was a fearful album – just dealing with fear (laughing), but dealing with the devil in a fearful way, almost. All I wanted to do was to get the words right. It was courageous to do it because I could have not done it, too.

Anyway, on Nashville Skyline you had to read between the lines. I was trying to grasp something that would lead me on to where I thought I should be, and it didn’t go nowhere – it just went down, down, down.

I couldn’t be anybody but myself, and at that point I didn’t know it or want to know it. [end of excerpt]

25. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

Just reading through the first pages of the thread. It was interesting how it took 6 pages of posts before one of us finally mentioned this era as a possible release - @Six Bachelors was the first to request/guess right about this release - gotta give the poster credit. @Champagne Boot guessed right first about a possible Rolling Thunder release (similar to Live 1966).

I guessed wrong about both - I couldn't even figure out a guess but now that this is coming, I'm getting the feeling I may enjoy it more than I thought like Another Self Portrait. I didn't realize how low this was on most of our wish lists - maybe I expected more fans for this era but he has so many, I can see why this might not be the release people wanted.

Six Bachelors and asdf35 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.