Bob Dylan - Bootleg Series Volume 15 (Travelin’ Thru 1967-1969 (1st November 2019) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mbd77, Sep 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Watch that interview again; Dylan looks like he needs an exorcism from Fr. Amorth.

[​IMG]

2. Feat21

Feat21 Forum Resident

The king of "Levon Helm on drums beat the songs to death" loves '86. How ironic

3. Richard--W

Snarky sniper, aren't you Feat21.
    You know what you can do with your attitude, don't you?

I said tour '86 was the hottest ticket of the year, because it sold
    a lot of tickets and was reported as such in the trades.

I didn't say I loved it.

4. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All! Thread Starter

Interestingly, ‘The Bridge’ fanzine apparently just confirmed that a similar ‘home demo’ tape of unknown songs from 1977 has been found in the Tulsa archive. I don’t subscribe to The Bridge. Anyone have a scan of the relevant section?

5. Richard--W

Anyone?

NYMets41 likes this.
  6. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

Sorry to do this, but:
    :drool:

CBackley, DeeThomaz and Dark Horse 77 like this.
  7. paidinblood

paidinblood Forum Resident

That is not what the article said at all. Never any mention of a tape.

8. paidinblood

I was in a whirlpool, now I'm in some better place

redsock, JoeF., Tribute and 1 other person like this.
  9. Mbd77

As I said, I don’t subscribe, and therefore obviously this came to me secondhand, so could somebody reprint the information please?

10. Richard--W

Then what did the article say exactly?

11. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Support The Bridge and subscribe!

Peace and love✌

arthurprecarious likes this.
  12. paidinblood

Ditto.

13. Mbd77

I’ll take a guess and say that I’ve very likely ‘supported’ more Bob Dylan stuff than some people will ever manage in their entire lives.
    Is this really where we are that people won’t clarify an interesting bit of news from a fanzine? It’s not like this hasn’t been published.

:rolleyes:

IronWaffle, NYMets41, adamos and 5 others like this.
  14. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Agreed. It’s great to support labor of love fan resources like this and I wouldn’t agree with reproducing the article in its entirety (nor do I think that’s allowed under forum rules) but a quick summary, crediting the source, seems completely legitimate. Certainly every time ISIS gets a scoop, it’s soon shared with the wider fandom. That’s the nature of breaking news.

drift, IronWaffle, Richard--W and 5 others like this.
  15. Mbd77

From a Facebook group:

“It has been confirmed that a recording of the rumoured song 'I'm Cold' is in the Tulsa archive.

* These are supposed to be about 10-12 songs from 1977 in the spirit of Blood On The Tracks, but with much darker and unnerving lyrics, dealing with the final breakdown of Dylan's relationship with his wife.”

“...located it in the archive. Reported in The Bridge fanzine.”

Also:

“Tulsa archive :

It is also reported that complete filmed versions of One too many mornings & Like a Rolling Stone from Paris 1966 exists.
    Along with lots of hotel footage, press conference material from Paris 1966.
    Also an unexpected find from the 1978 World Tour.
    And much more...

Source: Anders Lindh.
    The Bridge. 64”

Apparently there was no mention of a tape in “The Bridge”, but also apparently this cannot be clarified without subscribing to the magazine?

Maybe it’s the fact that I said ‘songs’ and ‘tape’ in my message here where it might be ‘a song’ and an acetate or something...but come on, really? :rolleyes:

Anyone want to be a grown up and clarify what was published for us non-subscribers or is this secret information that must remain amongst the few?

16. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

This is huge... if accurate. Just a couple months ago at the Dylan conference the curator for Tulsa had specifically confirmed they did NOT have recordings of “I’m Cold” or the associated songs (though as I recall they have manuscripts— I’ll see if I can confirm that). Either The Bridge misunderstood these comments, or there has been an AMAZING discovery that could justify the Dylan team re-evaluating their plans for the next BS installment (of course it’s likely too late to change anything coming this year, but I could easily imagine plans being shuffled around for next year).

This needs a follow up!

17. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

I read recently someone close to Dylan (i cant recall who unfortunately) describing Bob playing him these super dark divorce relared songs in that time frame that were extremely personal. The person said they werent recorded, but if those have turned up as recorded which that article seems to be suggesting that could be an absolutely incredible find. Im really loving what im hearing from this Tulsa archive!

Richard--W and The MEZ like this.
  18. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Until we get confirmation, I’m taking this with a BIG grain of salt. My gut feeling is it’s a misunderstanding over Chaiken’s comments about the “I’m Cold” manuscripts (which themselves are a significant discovery) but I’d very much love to be wrong.

IronWaffle and Percy Song like this.
  19. Mbd77

Better get that Bridge subscription in...

:shh:

DeeThomaz likes this.
  20. kwhisperer

kwhisperer Forum Resident

From an Uncut piece..

In 1977, while visiting Rolling Thunder tour-mates Steven Soles and T-Bone Burnett, he played a set of songs too frightening to ever be heard again: like Blood On The Tracks 2, with the love torn out. “They were all very, very, very tough, dark, dark, dark songs,” Soles told Howard Sounes. “None of them saw the light of day. They got discarded because I think they were too strong. They were the continuation of the Bob and Sara tale, on the angry side of that conflict.” One of these blackest of tracks, “I’m Cold”, scared Soles. “It was scathing and tough and venomous. A song that would bring a chill to your bones. That’s what it did to me. T-Bone and I, when he left, our mouths were just wide open. We couldn’t even believe what we’d heard.”

21. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Well, I’m brave enough to listen to it! I’ve never been “scared” by a song.*

*with the possible exception of some solo Ringo Starr music.
    :)

The MEZ likes this.
  22. Alphatheta

Alphatheta Forum Resident

The article is an interview with Michael Chaiken in which he says that Terry Gans (who I believe designs the Bootleg Series books) "found a song fragment for the song I'm Cold" in the Tulsa archive. It doesn't specify whether it's tape or manuscript, but it reads like manuscript. Yes, pretty significant even so.

23. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Thank you for the clarification. Disappointing, but consistent with what we already knew. Still leaves a little wiggle room, but clearly no one’s should get their hopes too high.

IronWaffle likes this.
  24. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

Dark Horse 77 likes this.
  25. Mbd77

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.