Bob Dylan – The Bootleg Series Vol.16: Springtime In New York (1980–1985) (Content & Sound Quality)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 19, 2019.

1. hardtimes9393

hardtimes9393 Forum Resident

I think it is more a way to tie in merchandise to current political events. Also I think this because the Villager era would most likely start with recordings from before his debut album it wouldn't stretch all the way to 1964 possibly.

2. Allsavedfreakband

Allsavedfreakband Member

It's about the presidential election. No BS this year!

primoridal_ooze likes this.
  3. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I just saw a commercial on TV for my local hospital. Images flash
    by of doctors and nurses helping patients with coronvirus. A Bob
    Dylan song from the 1960s is played very effectively instead of a
    voice-over. Guess which song it is?

Floater likes this.
  4. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

hard rain?

Richard--W likes this.
  5. Richard--W

Close, but no cigar.

6. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

Well, there was that rumour that the next BS would be a 1963 set.....

7. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

"Shelter From the Storm"?

8. Richard--W

It was "The Times They Are A-Changin' "

So strange to hear it in a commercial for a local hospital.

Floater likes this.
  9. puddingdish

puddingdish Forum Resident

I have it on good authority that the next installment will focus on Bob's residency at Kings Dominion Amusement Park in 1989. Bootleg Series 16: Thunder on the Log Flume should appear mid to late next year.

10. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

You were asked not to reveal this top secret information. The Source will be mad as hell that it's leaked...

Sean, primoridal_ooze and PJayBe like this.
  11. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

It will be accompanied next year by a new documentary called Bob Dylan at 80: Unexpected Leakage.

Sean, PJayBe and Percy Song like this.
  12. jvs52

jvs52 Forum Resident

I hope with free tickets to the amusement park?

ExHead and PJayBe like this.
  13. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

No, free tickets to the wedding of his son.

14. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

:righton:

PJayBe and TheGoodDoctor like this.
  15. Richard--W

That was just cruel.

bubba-ho-tep likes this.
  16. nfmboss666

nfmboss666 Forum Resident

Wow I hadn’t even heard a rumor about the 1970 Collection. Looks like some great stuff on there

17. Dflow

Dflow Listening in the time of Dylan

How much of the music on the 3 discs is currently out there? Are there any new songs or surprises?

18. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Essentially, only the Harrison session from 01 May is circulating.

Tom Paxton's "I Can’t Help but Wonder Where I’m Bound" is a surprise. "Instrumental" from 05 March is not previously documented; same for "Instrumental" from 04 June.

"Things About Comin' My Way" seems to be a song called "My Previous Life" on the logs.

"Dock of the Bay" (03 March) and "What It's All About", or "What's It All About", (05 June) are logged songs which seem to have been excluded, as is the instrumental "Ahoooah" from 05 June.

The "Blowin' In The Wind" session(s) from 30 July are missing in action.

In other words, it's something of a flippin' treasure.

Sean, augustboy, Dflow and 5 others like this.
  19. roombythelake

roombythelake Forum Resident

Wow, that came and went even faster than before, seems like! Last year I get a heads-up email a day ahead from Isis (or Badlands? or both?) and was able to get the collection. This time I got the "weekly round-up" newsletter from Isis today, but "weekly" proved too late, as it came only after stock was sold out. (This release was the sole purpose of being subscribed to the Badlands newsletter for the past year! haha) I see Isis had a blog post on Nov 30 to update but that didn't come to my inbox.

Anyone get this? How did you learn of it if so? Well, hope the music is great.

PS. I see they've tweaked the artwork theme a bit.

[​IMG]

PPS. Oh, sorry, it's got its own thread. I'll leave this up but mosey over there to discuss.

DmitriKaramazov, Sean and superstar19 like this.
  20. Attila the Professor

Attila the Professor Forum Resident

In the absence of a dedicated news threat for Bob (which would probably be pretty sparse to be honest!) i thought i'd post here. I noticed that Clinton Heylin's new book A Restless Hungry Feeling: The Double Life of Bob Dylan Vol. 1: 1941-1966 is up for preorder at Amazon (UK anyway). Out on 8th April 2021

Link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...&pf_rd_p=6e878984-68d5-4fd2-b7b3-7bc79d9c8b60

[​IMG]

From the blurb:

In 2016 it was announced that Bob Dylan had sold his personal archive to the George Kaiser Foundation in Tulsa, Oklahoma, reportedly for $22 million (and $64 million in tax relief). As the boxes started to arrive, the Foundation asked Clinton Heylin - author of the acclaimed Dylan behind the Shades (1991; rev. 2011) and 'perhaps the world's authority on all things Dylan' (Rolling Stone) - to assess the material that they had been given. What he found in Tulsa - as well as what he gleaned from other papers he had recently been given access to by Sony and the Dylan office - so changed his understanding of the artist, in particular of his creative process, that he became convinced that his biography needed to be completely rewritten. It turns out that most of what we thought we knew is wrong - and in particular, that Dylan is the notoriously unreliable narrator of his own story.With fresh and revealing information on every page, the first volume, A Restless Hungry Feeling, tells the story of Dylan's meteoric rise to fame- his arrival in New York in early 1961, where he is embraced by the folk scene; his elevation to spokesman of a generation whose protest songs deliver the soundtrack for the burgeoning Civil Rights movement; his alleged betrayal when he 'goes electric' at Newport in 1965; his subsequent controversial world tour with a rock 'n' roll band; and the recording of his three undisputed masterpieces- Bringing it All Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde on Blonde. Dylan is at the peak of his fame when in July 1966 he reportedly crushes his motorbike in Woodstock, upstate New York, and disappears from public view. When he re-emerges, he looks different, his voice sounds different, his songs are different; he would not tour again until 1974.There is unlikely to be any more 'autobiography' after Chronicles, and Dylan is never going to authorise an official biography; Clinton's meticulously researched, all-encompassing and consistently revelatory account is the closest we will ever get to a definitive life.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  21. SteveFff

SteveFff Forum Mekonista

This seems VERY intriguing, especially given the Archives access. I’ll definitely be looking forward to this.

augustboy, Sean, mark ab and 3 others like this.
  22. The Bard

The Bard Highway 61 Revisited. That is all.

Looking forward to the book. Not looking forward to the pages of Clinton bashing :rolleyes:

23. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I’ll absolutely buy this, although Ian Bell’s and Howard Sounes’s Dylan biographies have their merits, in my opinion. I nearly spit out my coffee, though, when I read Heylin’s shocking insight that “Dylan is a notoriously unreliable narrator of his own story.” Really, Clinton? Are just now figuring that out?

24. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

"What he found in Tulsa - as well as what he gleaned from other papers he had recently been given access to by Sony and the Dylan office - so changed his understanding of the artist, in particular of his creative process, that he became convinced that his biography needed to be completely rewritten. It turns out that most of what we thought we knew is wrong - and in particular, that Dylan is the notoriously unreliable narrator of his own story."

My reading of that sentence is that Dylan is not an unreliable narrator.

Even if this is somewhat hyperbolic -- "What he found ... so changed his understanding of the artist, in particular of his creative process, that he became convinced that his biography needed to be completely rewritten" - is extremely exciting.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  25. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I know there has been an indication that the next BS edition will be released in early 2021. I wonder how early we are talking.

If they have decided to release The Villager they could time it to coincide with the 60th anniversary of Bob's arrival in New York in January 1961.