Bob Dylan – The Bootleg Series Vol.16: Springtime In New York (1980–1985) (Content & Sound Quality)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Reprobatemind

Reprobatemind Forum Resident

I believe that Julius & Ethel is pretty much the only Bob Dylan song where a studio recording of it circulates, and yet Bob's official website makes no reference to the song even existing. Are there any other examples?

Perhaps they feel the line "They were never proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt" no longer holds up, given some of the subsequent developments...

Anyway, I'd be surprised if this makes it on to BLS16.

2. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Nah. There has to be more than that. Loads of studio outtakes circulate that he’s never played live.

The first thing I thought of was “Goodbye Holly” from the Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid sessions. That one fits the criteria.

Floater likes this.
  3. Reprobatemind

You're right with that one. Not much of a song, but certainly fits the criteria!

I thought that most songs (even if omitted from Lyrics:1962-2012) had been picked up by the website, but I guess not

Floater and stepeanut like this.
  4. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

of course it will be on BS16. it's a finished studio recording from the Infidels sessions.

5. Reprobatemind

I wasn't aware that every finished studio recording from those sessions would make BLS16.

Are you thinking it's going to be similar to More Blood More Tracks rather than a shorter more curated release?

6. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

Personally, I’d only give “Julius & Ethel” a 50/50 or so chance at inclusion . Even as recently as BS15, they skipped over the finished original “Running” for no obvious reason. Sometimes their decision-making on these matters can be a bit unpredictable.

7. Justin Brooks

i'm not saying it will and i doubt it will be as comprehensive as the BOTT box. i guess what i'm saying is that, unlike, say "Running," "Julius And Ethel" is a very well-known, fully finished studio outtake that wouldn't make sense to exclude. i feel like "Running" is a little different in that it's mostly an instrumental (if i recall) and wasn't particularly well known or bootlegged before it was released.

Floater and The MEZ like this.
  8. Reprobatemind

I agree it's more substantial than "Running". I just have a feeling it will be ignored as it's possibly a tad embarrassing as it seems from what's come out this century that they were definitely guilty (certainly Julius at least) - not that I'd support capital punishment.

Hopefully we won't have long before we see a track listing!

9. Justin Brooks

yeah, i feel like it may not be until August/September, but i really can't wait either!

10. Alfie Noakes

Alfie Noakes Not Dark Yet....

redsock, LoveandTheft and Floater like this.
  11. Dylan75

Dylan75 Forum Resident

Either it’ll be a drop Beyoncé-style or nothing at all. I’m dying for the former but I can’t recall they did anything for his 70th nor his 60th. 20 years ago he was playing Dresden with some fans singing Happy Birthday and the show was just like any other during that tour. Those years of the NET are some of the greatest in my book.

Floater likes this.
  12. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

This is truly excellent.
    I’m disappointed that they left a verse out of Sweetheart Like You. I understand the “woman like you should be at home, that’s where you belong” line has some problems. However, it means they have to drop one of my favorite lines “How much abuse will you be able to take? There’s no way to tell by the first kiss.”

Dflow, Alfie Noakes and ExHead like this.
  13. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

Let's hope something big drops on the 80th....probably that won't happen- tho the week he turned 60, wasn't he recording 'love and theft' ?

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  14. Dylan75

Dylan75 Forum Resident

That could be but Love & Theft was released on Sept. 11 2001 at a time where we weren’t spoiled with the BS release cadence that we are familiar with since a few years. I don’t see them releasing a new album in the short term followed by BS 16 in Nov.
    Not that I wouldn’t like it but seems rather unfeasible within 6 month time span. A low-budget drop like the 1966/1975 however... Bring on The Villager

15. Reprobatemind

I was at the Dresden show. Gorgeous outdoor venue on a warm spring night. We were hoping the show would be something special. First birthday show since Paris 66?

In the end, it was pretty flat. The next night in Regensburg was Much better.

16. Dylan75

Dylan75 Forum Resident

I attended 5-6 gigs on that tour. The Cologne one stood out among those au attended. I still recall the anticipation of that birthday show and the disappointment that after it. He just couldn’t care less. Why should he? He’s Bob Dylan!

17. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Random not fully related questions: Is an ISIS magazine subscription worth the money? Also, what’s the best place to find back issues if they’re sold out on the ISIS website?

18. HuntingBare

HuntingBare Forum Resident

ISIS is an excellent publication, still, with the estimable Derek Barker at the helm. A typical issue contains a range of pieces, some shorter some longer, mostly serious occasionally frivolous (in a good way). It is far from unusual to find articles in ISIS that far surpass what gets published in the mainstream media.

SteveFff and CBackley like this.
  19. CBackley

Thanks! Any suggestions on how I can track down a recent issue that’s now sold out?

20. DeeThomaz

In addition to the ISIS site itself, the UK record store Badlands has a page for the recent issues they currently have in stock:
    Bob Dylan Isis Magazine

SteveFff and CBackley like this.
  21. CBackley

Thanks so much! I ordered several back issues that looked interesting.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  22. ironbutterfly

ironbutterfly Listening to marky mark in mono

You are probably on a no fly list now

23. DeeThomaz

I did once have a hold put on my credit card when attempting to order from the ISIS site. *sigh*

TheGoodDoctor, CBackley and mrjinks like this.
  24. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Could be worse. Imagine explaining to your wife what the credit card payment to "The Ugliest Girl In The World" was all about...:)

mrjinks, Gepetto, Floater and 2 others like this.
  25. cable hogue

cable hogue Forum Resident

mrjinks, Floater, Tony Glass and 17 others like this.