Bob Dylan Bootleg Vol. 9 / Mono Box / Best of Mono News

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LoveandTheft, Jul 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

I'm never heard the demos in question that will make up volume 9, so, I for one, am really looking forward to it. As for the mono box, I'm on the fence. I have most of the albums in mono from Sundazed, but having them on CD may also be kinda cool. I guess for me, we'll see how my budget is doing when they see the light of the day. Volume 9 will definitely be the priority of the two.

2. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Blonde on Blonde has never been issued in mono on CD, so that alone would be worth the price of admission.

Evan

3. handydandy

handydandy New Member

4. yardbuzzard

yardbuzzard Forum Resident

i will buy BSV9 *and* the mono box ... i love 60s Dylan, and i absolutely love buying CDs ... it's a deep-seated need i have :)

5. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

I'm not too excited about the mono albums, since I've always found the stereo mixes to generally be fine, but I'm always up for a new bootleg series release.

6. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

I can safely skip this. Tired of the 60s stuff at this point.

7. the Saint

the Saint Forum Resident

Wonder if they will include the non lp singles.

8. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Assuming that Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits is included (as it was with the Sundazed LPs), some of them will be...

9. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

It (the Isis report) mentions that it's the first 8 albums in the mono set, so that's not one of them. No mention of a "Past Masters" kind of thing to be included.

10. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Unlike The Beatles, I don't think Dylan has anywhere near enough stand alone singles and b-sides from the period to fill out PAST MASTERS-type collection. In fact, I can only think of 5 tracks that would clearly qualify, unless you start scooping up obscurities like the Blind Boy Grunt recordings.

BTW, the tracks I'm including are: "Mixed Up Confusion"; "If You Gotta Go (Go Now)"; "Positively Fourth Street"; "Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window"; "Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues"(live)"

A bonus disc that gathered together these tracks would certainly be welcome, but I'd much prefer a stand alone, more wide ranging compilation of stray Dylan tracks.

11. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

You're right -- I hadn't really counted them in my head, and I assumed they would do all the same albums that Sundazed did. Too bad if they skip the GH album, because some key tracks are on there... a "Mono Masters" collecting ALL the mono singles would be even better.

12. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I suspect the "47 tracks" mentioned in the original report is in error. I believe 47 happens to be the total amount of Leed and Witmark demos known to exist. Since no Bootleg Series release has ever been truly comprehensive (aside from the '64 and '66 live shows, of course), I suspect they mean the official set will be drawn *from* the 47 extant tracks.

But hey, I'd love to be wrong.

13. Unfortunately, there's no indication whatsoever that Dylan likes bonus tracks, but all those tracks would be natural bonus tracks on the mono editions, along with the mono single mix of "One Of Us Must Know" and one or two other rare tracks.

14. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Also, the B-side of "Corrina Corrina" to the original "Mixed Up Confusion" 45 is an alternate and different take from the one on the Freewheelin Bob Dylan LP, so that too is another non-LP song. Arnie

15. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I have to say I agree with everything Solitary Man has written here. I've long vaguely wanted the Witmark demos to get an official release, but there have always been at least half dozen other BS concepts I'd rather see explored first. A set like this is a useful companion to someone exploring Dylan's folk period (such a person is also advised to seek out his essential '63 Town Hall and Carnegie Hall performances), but there aren't a lot of hidden masterpieces to be found here.

16. That B-side (recorded in Liverpool, IIRC) is probably one of the best Dylan performances ever committed to tape.

17. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Are there any major differences in the mono mixes from the stereo mixes avail today? I'm a casual Dylan fan, I love the 60s stuff, have no boots, just not sure if I'd get out as much from Dylan in Mono as I did with Beatles in Mono

18. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

100% Agreed. Nice that The Band included the track on their MUSICAL HISTORY boxset, along with "Tell Me Mama" from the same show.

I'm young enough that I can only imagine how this one b-side must have created the most unbelievable impression of what the '66 Tour must have been like in the minds of everyone who purchased the "I Want You" single.

19. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Bob was not the creature of the studio that The Beatles were, so you're not going to get the same sort of endless variations that make it so fascinating to seek out Beatles oddities. The focus of his experiments were more with lyrics, song structures, and performances, and much less with studio technology. Nonetheless, there are enough differences to warrant a site devoted to it (at least the electric period). Check out the BLONDE ON BLONDE page-- your head will spin!

http://www.rdf.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

I'd argue that the joy in the mono mixes is less in the trainspotting delights of hearing , say, different pig snorts on "Piggies" than the overall impact the records convey. They possess a more aggressive quality that I find quite appealing.

20. joannenugent

joannenugent Forum Resident

Looking forward to the mono box set!
    Would be great if they included a mono disc of singles, but I am not holding my breath.

As for BS9, this is the first BS that I am actually disappointed about. I don't mind getting more stuff from the 1960s, it is just that the demos, are really dry and mechanical, as they were never meant for anything other than copyright purposes and transcribing to sheet music. The same songs are available from the same time period through various coffee house recordings and concerts. I wish they would have made that the BS9 instead, as the songs are delivered in a much more entertaining manner. Oh well, as long as they keep the BS going, I am not too depressed.

21. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

So we have 7 songs now. There are also loose ends like the four deleted songs from "Freewheelin'" and the alternate version of "From A Buick Six". Up to 12 mono mixes now.

22. I'll be grabbing the "BOOTLEG SERIES" set without question but like others have posted was really hoping for the "gospel" period to get some attention.

23. Lord Hawthorne

Also, weren't there mono promo singles of "Wigwam" and later singles?

24. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

I was under the impression that the alternate Buick 6 is the same as on the mono LP? Is that not the case?

25. Lord Hawthorne

Maybe it's only the stereo LP that had the alternate version on the first press. Time to lay a blanket on my bed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.