Bob Dylan Bootleg Vol. 9 / Mono Box / Best of Mono News

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LoveandTheft, Jul 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WPLJ

WPLJ Forum Resident

Also, since I have only heard the monos of BIABH and BOB a long time ago, what are the major differences, mix-wise, over the first 8 albums in stereo? Anything that really jumps out, like the Beatles albums from 65 - 68? I remember side 2 of BIABH has some 'verb, but that's about it. And, I know the stereo on the first album is painfully separated ... what else does one have to look forward to ...?

2. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

I seem to recall hearing that there are incidences of different takes used for some of the songs, especially circa Blonde On Blonde.

Can anyone verify this?

3. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

Other than Buick 6 this is not the case.

Check out this site for stereo/mono comparisons: http://www.rdf.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

4. Peter_R

Thanks for the link - muchly appreciated! :righton:

5. joannenugent

joannenugent Forum Resident

That would be nice!
    From the Amazon description I was under the impression that they were those digipack things.

6. joannenugent

What kind of bonuses have they been issuing recently?
    Now I am interested.

7. joannenugent

I have heard the sundazed mono albums,
    and most of the don't sound that different, especially the folk albums.

The biggest difference will probably come into play for blonde on blonde: http://www.rdf.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Blonde.htm

JWH also sound slightly different to me too.

8. Another Side

The sound on the original mono albums is nothing like the Sundazed LPs, which sound much brighter and midrangey. If they are serious about emulating the originals that will be a big selling point for me even if I already have all 8 mono LPs.

9. Peter_R

I've got most of the Sundazed LPs as well, although I've never done a critical "spot the difference" comparison to the stereo mixes.

Having said that, I do enjoy the feel of some of the mono mixes, most notably Bring It all Back Home & Blonde On Blonde.

As I don't have his first album or The Times They Are A-Changin' on CD, it makes more & more sense to get the mono set as well.

Curious if Blonde/Blonde will be a single or double disc set. Would prefer a single disc from an environmental POV: less resources used, less plastic, etc.
    Also, I like the convenience of listening to it beginning to end.

10. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

There was a live Carnegie Hall EP once, and a Theme Time Radio Hour CD ... others escape me at the moment.

11. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Very interesting site. Thanks.

12. joannenugent

@Sean Murdock: Oh that is good to know - thank you! I will have to keep my eyes open for this release instead of just jumping to Amazon like I normally do.

@another side: Got it. Hopefully they will do a good job with the mastering for this set!

@petrofsk: I think one version of George Jackson was released on the Australian compilation Masterpieces. I think there is also a Japanese release that has it on CD. But it certainly isn't easy to find, and the sound quality isn't that great (It sounds like a direct needledrop to me).

13. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Were any of the remastered CDs (not the SACDs from the 15 CD set) but the more recent ones MONO? I have heard that some of the very early albums were on the most recent remasters.

14. Another Side

The consensus here is that they are just narrow stereo.

15. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

The remastered debut album (Bob Dylan) is in mono.

16. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

The "Big Band" version appeared on the import MASTERPIECES collection. I believe the acoustic take appeared on one of the Japanese MR D'S COLLECTION promo CDs, but I don't think it's had a commercial release on disc.

17. culabula

culabula Unread author.

The Big Band Version was included on the issues of Masterpieces on vinyl and CD released in various countries.

The acoustic version was finally released on the Dutch limited edition triple set of "The Essential Bob Dylan".

18. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Good catch! I never got around to tracking that down. Anyone know if it's readily available anywhere online?

19. According to Dylan collector site "Searching for a Gem" it's actually in stereo:
    http://www.searchingforagem.com/1960s/International001CD.htm

20. Peter_R

Wonder what has kep the Dylan camp from making "George Jackon" more readily available. Given the topical nature, I wonder if he feels the song is too dated.

21. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Correctomundo.

I love "George Jackson." Released when I was only 12 years old, Dylan was in a strange place in early 1972, commercially speaking, and this was a weird "surprise" release. It was the first Dylan record I ever bought. Imagine being 12 and trying to get a handle on Dylan in 1972 with "George Jackson" as a starting point ... "Aw, jeez, they hated him ... " (I *think* that's the lyric, anyway ...)

22. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

And "Hurricane" isn't dated?

23. John D.

John D. Senior Member

I was thinking about picking up some of the Sundazed mono LP's. But, after reading your opinion of the Sundazed releases,
    I guess I will wait and see if the mono cd's are regarded as a better alternative. :confused:

24. Peter_R

Funny thing, I was going to bring up "Hurricane" in my last post. I didn't, as I figured there would be a backlash from other members suggesting they are hugely different. Guess it doesn't matter what you post, someone will always have to respond with something.

I think where there is a difference is that innocent prisoners AKA the wrongly convicted is an ever-present problem. It's a lot easier to get people to agree that such a social injustice shouldn't continue. Also, Carter was only released a decade after Dylan recorded the song. It being part of an album would also make it harder to sweep under the rug.

Obviously, there are a number of songs from Dylan's early career that were topical in nature. And I'm glad they're still around (the songs, not the issues, obviously).

In the case of "George Jackson," I imagine because it was a single, it's fallen by the wayside.
    Pity it wasn't on Greatest Hits, Volume 2. Could have easily been included as a bonus track on the CD issue of that album.

I'd like to have either version see a legitimate re-rlease some day.

25. This is just a theory, but it could be that Dylan just doesn't like the song very much. Around that time, he felt a lot a pressure from people like Weberman and the "Dylan Liberation Front" to do something topical again and "George Jackson" was possibly written and recorded in an attempt to please them, even if his heart wasn't in it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.