Bob Dylan - Fantasy Bootleg Series

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mbd77, Oct 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Bob Dylan recorded for Fantasy?

OMG, I hope he got a better deal than John Fogerty.

beneta and majorlance like this.
  2. slane

slane Forum Resident

:laugh:

It might be that the journalist just assumed that Dylan would add vocals to (or, alternatively, write actual songs for) the instrumental backing tracks that were being laid down, which probably did sound like good groundwork.

That does seem close, but maybe Dylan just finished off whatever he was capable of finishing for a quick release, from everything that had been recorded. And unfortunately, all those great backing tracks fell by the wayside.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  3. Still waiting for email confirmation of my order shipping! ;)

4. Reader

Reader Senior Member

I like all the suggestions made so far. For myself, the Bootleg Series are about the most exciting releases being done. I'm not high level enough computer wise to make the imaginary artwork for many of the things we'd all like to see. Some of the best threads over the years have included fan made artwork that is better than any official releases. Does anyone here have things they've done that they want to share? I think the one posted in the first post by Mbd77 is excellent.

5. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All! Thread Starter

Moving on to my second volume of the (non-chronological) Fantasy Bootleg Series - I've decided to tackle the 1979-1981 "Gospel Era", a time which Dylan's team have said they would like to cover, but are not sure how best to approach. Most fans point to the Toronto 1980 performance as a straight audio/dvd release, but I think this alone would be a mistake, wonderful as those recording are. As many note, there is a wealth of unreleased studio material from this era, and I think this should form the basis of a retrospective release from this period, with a smattering of live material.

So...here goes:

[​IMG]

THE BOOTLEG SERIES VOLUME 16: STAND BY FAITH - THE GOSPEL YEARS 1979-1981

DISC ONE

1. Ain't No Man Righteous, No Not One - Take 6 C Pulled 1 May 79 - This song, performed a handful of times in concert, has never seen a studio version released, nor is it in circulation with collectors. This version was pulled to a compilation reel, obviously under consideration for the album at one point.

2. Trouble In Mind Takes 1-4, 6 - 2 APRIL 30th 1979 - Take 7 is the RELEASED single version. There are several other complete takes that could be included here.

3. I Believe In You Take 1 C Pulled 3 May 79 - Alternate take

4. Slow Train No no. C Pulled 3 May 79 - Alternate take

5. When He Returns Full band Take 1 C 11 4 May 79 - Full band version!

6. Covenant Woman Take 3 C Pulled 11 Feb 80 - Earlier version that was obviously under consideration for the album before being replaced with a much later version.

7. Solid Rock Take 1 C 3 12 Feb 80 - Alternate take

8. Saving Grace Take 1 or 2 C Pulled to master, other released - Alternate take

9. Property of Jesus - Demo version from the "1980 copyright tape".

10. She's Not For You - Demo from the "1980 copyright tape".

11. The Groom's Still Waiting At The Altar - Demo from the "1980 copyright tape".

12. Let's Keep It Between Us - Demo from the "1980 copyright tape".

13. Caribbean Wind - Live (mono?) soundboard recording (KNOWN TO EXIST) from the Fox Warfield, San Francisco November 12, used for copyright purposes. Unsure if this includes Dylan's long "Leadbelly" intro story.

-------------------------------------------------------------

DISC TWO

1. Yonder Comes Sin - Demo from the "1980 copyright tape".

2. Angelina March 26, 1981 - different (earlier) take to the one of "The Bootleg Series 1-3"

3. Caribbean Wind March 31 81 - Different to the released version and different to the commonly bootlegged version, again think a different arrangement and yet another batch of lyrics.

4. I Want You To Know That I Love You Take 1 CT April 1 1981

5. Fur Slippers CT April 2 1981 - Dylan's version remains unheard.

6. Let It Be Me (Delanoe/Bécaud/Curtis) 2x CT - Earlier version of the song (and supposedly superior according th Clinton Heylin) than the version released as a single.

7. Magic CT April 24 1981 - This was under consideration for 'Shot Of Love' I believe.

8. In The Summertime CT April 27 1981 9 complete takes recorded - Alternate take.

9. Heart Of Mine CT April 29 1981 - far better take than was released on the record, this (I think?) is familiar to bootlegs.

10. The Girl From Louisville (trad.} CT

11. Mystery Train Clover 15 May 81

12. Lets Begin - Live soundboard recording from Earl's Court 1981 (...or any of the June/July 1981 European tour - all shows known to have been recorded - take your pick)

13. Girl From The North Country - As above. These last few songs show Dylan moving away from the more forceful religious messages of 1979 back towards more 'secular' music maybe? ...and then just when you think it's all over....

14. Thief On The Cross - live soundboard recording from NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA, NOVEMBER 10, 1981 - Mixed by Daniel Lanois.

DISC THREE (deluxe edition)

Complete Blu-Ray or DVD of the entire Toronto 1980 pro-shot concert, with 'I Will Love Him' included from the second night.

6. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Omg, I would take any Gospel era release. I love that trilogy. Slow Train Coming is an excellent album. Saved, imo, is still good and is unfairly bashed. Shot Of Love is half-Jesus/half-normal, but It's been a favorite of mine from the start.

7. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Sounds like a great release to me. I'm always ready for more Gospel Bob. Who knows what goodies are hidden away in the studio vault that we don't even know about.

8. Mike Bass

Mike Bass Forum Resident

This one really interests me. There's an unknown mystique about this period. I'm possibly the biggest fan of those 1971 tracks for Greatest Hits Vol. 2!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
    Sean Murdock likes this.
  9. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I'm all in for a Gospel set, but not for a 2-disc version. Bring on the 4-6 CD set! :righton:

Mike Bass, beneta and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  10. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I assume you have Another Self Portrait, right? Great outtake from the 1971 GH2 sessions on there!

Mike Bass and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  11. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

PRE-ORDERED! :pineapple:

This is a collection for the true maniacs!

12. The Bootleg Series Vol. 13: "Eiji Ijichi Talks - The 'Love & Theft' Sessions"

They skipped conveniently over L & T on Tell Tale Signs. Does anyone have an inkling why that might have been? Maybe there are 4 CD's of out-takes waiting to be unearthed? Maybe not.

primoridal_ooze likes this.
  13. Mbd77

No outtakes from 'Love & Theft', only a handful of alternate takes.

14. Dark Horse 77

For sure. There's way more than enough for a massive set.

15. Dark Horse 77

I'd be up for hearing alternates.

subtr likes this.
  16. What's the distinction between "out-takes" and "alternate takes"? Do you know for certain that only a 'handful' exist?

17. Mbd77

Outtakes = different songs to those released.

Alternates = different takes of released songs.

I think it was Dylan himself or someone at the sessions who said he went in with just those songs. I think it was also said that he had the arrangements worked out, so not like the old days where he would do songs in different keys/tempos/arrangements.

18. Thanks for the confirmation, even if you have shot one of my key hopes for the future Bootleg Series down in flames! ;)

19. rihajarvi

rihajarvi Forum Resident

got a bit lazy with the genuine live sleeves but seriously, tell me you wouldn't buy this bad boy in a heartbeat

[​IMG]

20. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

What, no film strip from Eat the Document?:D

DeeThomaz and rihajarvi like this.
  21. rihajarvi

rihajarvi Forum Resident

i'd say throw in the whole thing, but then we're definitely stepping into twilight zone territory

DeeThomaz and HominyRhodes like this.
  22. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

there should be another live set IMO covering odds and ends,
    including stuff like:

Tangled Up In Blue (1978 ballad, but please without the christian lyrics, Paris 1978 for instance is amazing)
    Lily, Rosemary And The Jack Of Hearts (1976 SLC if they have the tape)
    You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome (1976)
    Simple Twist Of Fate (1980)
    Like A Rolling Stone (with Bloomfield 1980)
    If You See Her, Say Hello (1976)
    Tangled Up In Blue (1976 electric punked out trainwreck)
    It's All Over Now, Baby Blue (1984 London with Van Morrison)
    Forever Young (1978 with Clapton)

primoridal_ooze likes this.
  23. I wouldn't buy that in a heartbeat, or at all. Never liked the 66 World Tour but the Manchester show (Bootleg Vol. 4) is good enough. It's the same set list over and over.

trumpet sounds likes this.
  24. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Fantastic work there!

I think this concept is VERY plausible for next year. After all, we KNOW the legal situation mandates at least their inclusion on a Copyright Extension set. It's hard to imagine they'll pursue a full commercial release for the mainstream Bootleg Series release (as the famous Manchester show has already been covered) but a premium, comprehensive set targeting the same "super fans" who bought this year's 18CD box? Sure.

That said, even as a self-admitted ridiculous "completist" I don't REALLY think it needs to include EVERYTHING. I'd be on cloud nine be if we JUST got a set with the various 3-track stereo and Nagra mono recordings. The audience recordings could be consigned to a Copyright Extension set without too many people shedding a tear.

25. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

PRE-ORDERED!! :D :biglaugh:

rihajarvi, HominyRhodes and DeeThomaz like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.