Bob Dylan LP remasters by Mobile Fidelity starting w/Freewheelin' & Another Side...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sunsales, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Does anyone know if Love And Theft is an analogue recording and if so, is the MFSL definitely all AAA?

2. Sneezyachew

Sneezyachew Forum Resident

It is.

MonkeyTennis and SteveM like this.
  3. Thanks! That's great as I'm desperately trying to justify to myself the insane cost of the new LP when I've already told myself I'm not going to buy Oh Mercy on 45rpm at any cost!

Just tell me Oh Mercy isn't all AAA too!

jumpinjulian likes this.
  4. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Love and Theft was the last Dylan album recorded to tape. Modern Times was the first ProTools album.

Bobsblkwax, SteveM and beyondmiles like this.
  5. Sneezyachew

uhhhh...

:hide:

Myke and SteveM like this.
  6. No! Really? You're playing with me, right?

Myke likes this.
  7. SongAndDanceMan

SongAndDanceMan Forum Resident

I just emailed Mofi. They are planning to restock Blonde on Blonde eventually but no timetable yet. Straight from the king's mouth.

8. Sneezyachew

The bigger question is... what’s next ?¿?¿?¿:confused::confused::confused:

9. keithdylan

keithdylan Master of His Own Domain

What's next? How bout 78 rpms of Down In The Groove and Knocked Out Loaded. The key is they are cut at regular speed, you just play them at 78 to get through them quicker.:p

10. beyondmiles

beyondmiles Forum Resident

Hah! Honestly though, if they did some of the 80s and early 90s releases...I'd still probably buy them.

I have to imagine since they cherry-picked Oh Mercy and Love and Theft, they'd have to do Time Out Of Mind, too. Only additional one I'd want is Street Legal.

MonkeyTennis and Sneezyachew like this.
  11. Sneezyachew

Maybe a MoFi take on Side Tracks?

Adamski777 likes this.
  12. I still would really like to know how the MFSL 45rpms of Oh Mercy and Love & Theft compare to the MFSL SACDs. I guess no one here who buys audiophile vinyl also bothers to buy audiophile digital versions?

Well, I do so I suppose I'll have to answer my own question then!

CBackley and Sneezyachew like this.
  13. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Sorry man, but Oh Mercy 45 LP is AAA and sounds absolutely fabulous. The best I’ve heard that album sound. Granted I only had the old, original CD but this blows that away. I can’t comment on the SACD, but I’ll wager that it’s also a belter.

14. SongAndDanceMan

SongAndDanceMan Forum Resident

Self Portrait but every track is on a seperate single sided 7"

15. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I did until I realized I was spending money I couldn't afford to, so then I began selling the SACDs, with the exception of Bill Withers' Greatest Hits, which I may still sell in the near future, should both of my setups end up in the same room, when I move into my new place. Then I definitely have no logical reason for buying two copies of every release.

SteveM likes this.
  16. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

Recorded to analog tape, transferred to digital for mixing.

SteveM likes this.
  17. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

You’ll thank yourself when you crank it I’m sure! And of course when it goes out of print and you don’t get that awful regret of missing out on something truely special and you can enjoy listening to it for years and years.

SteveM likes this.
  18. DPC

DPC Forum Resident

I'm in the queue for one of the next batch Oh, Mercy 45's.
    I have the original vinyl and a cd...the vinyl sounds great (cd is pretty nice, but...), so very interested in how mofi can or will better it.

I really dig the Love And Theft MoFi 45 in comparison to my MOV (which I in turn preferred to the orig), but the Oh, Mercy orig is a higher bar, I think.

jumpinjulian, Sneezyachew and SJR like this.
  19. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I’d be interested in how it stacks up with an OG when you get your hands on it.

SteveM, Sneezyachew and DPC like this.
  20. If Oh Mercy was transferred to digital for mixing, unless MFSL remixed it (which I'm sure they haven't) their 45rpm must be cut from a 16bit limited digital file, surely?

Flaming Torch likes this.
  21. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

SteveM I buy both the MFSL sacds and their vinyl - 45rpm or 33rpm. I have no idea what tapes analogue sources or digital files that MFSL use. I thought my old vinyl of Oh Mercy sounds fine and I have a nice needle drop of a friends original copy via his expensive turntable. I do not have Oh Mercy or Love and Theft on MFSL vinyl yet and I am not sure how the latter was recorded. I count myself as a big Bob fan and know these albums inside out upside down and backwards. To be honest most of the Sony cds and 60s,70,80s vinyl copies I have sound fine of Dylan catalogue but like many I guess I am searching for that extra bit of sound. This will no doubt annoy folk but so be it - I am at coffee and someone close to me is having a hard time financially. I find it staggering when certainly with regards to Dylan his cds and many vinyl albums are available cheaply that some people will pay $50 plus for an album they have not even heard!

NorthernFusion likes this.
  22. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Just arrived — Bob Dylan’s “Love And Theft”, originally released this week in September, 2001.

Once again, MoFi smash it out the park as this sounds incredible!

“Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
    Things should start to get interesting right about now” . . .

[​IMG]
    2001/2020 Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab ‎– MFSL 2-489, Columbia ‎– 88875022701

23. NorthernFusion

NorthernFusion There's some fear in letting go...

“So many things that we never will undo. I know you’re sorry, I’m sorry too.” :shake:

Anxiously waiting for mine now.

jumpinjulian likes this.
  24. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

4xLP Self Portrait 45 rpm MOFI box would be a dream come true. My favorite Dylan album, bar none.

25. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Would they? Could they? That’d be something!!!

giantleech and Juggsnelson like this.