Bob Dylan LP remasters by Mobile Fidelity starting w/Freewheelin' & Another Side...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sunsales, Jul 15, 2012.

1. SongAndDanceMan

SongAndDanceMan Forum Resident

The reason MOFI's split so much is because the seams are weak as hell. If you look at them from the opening, the seam is basically a piece of paper holding cardboard together. They cheap out. Whereas you look at the label Intervention Records which I just got in recently, there is thick cardboard seams and a beautiful glossy cover. They know how to do packaging right. I'm not complaining too much as I always get my MOFI's shipped outside the jacket.

Martgrol likes this.
  2. Martgrol

Martgrol Forum Resident

Yeah, comparing a few of my Mofis and Interventions, that makes more sense than the leaflets/inners solely causing the seam splits. The Interventions are sturdy as hell. Even the APs seem more robust than the Mofis in that aspect.

3. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Probably a combo of things causing the splits. Whatever it is MoFi isnt helping the situation.

Martgrol likes this.
  4. teag

teag Forum Resident

I’ve got around 100 MOFI LPs. None have seam splits.

Last one purchased was Dylans Love and Mercy.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
    Spencer R and Peter K like this.
  5. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

My last two orders of MOFI records from Music Direct arrived with split seams, including Desire. I think my FedEx driver throws them onto my porch like frisbees.

That said, Desire does sound great. I'm a Super Vinyl/SRX believer.

Sneezyachew likes this.
  6. I’ve had one split out of about 40

Spencer R likes this.
  7. Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. Forum Resident

For me it's probably one in ten. They don't bother me horribly but they do bother me.

Mazzy likes this.
  8. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Why aren't y'all asking for the records to be removed before shipping ?

9. I e-mailed the record store asking that they remove the records, but they never responded. I'll keep that in mind for the future.

Sneezyachew likes this.
  10. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Some retailers have a Notes section, that's where I ask, and I've never been ignored yet. ( Acoustic Sounds, Music Direct ).

11. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Just now got around to opening my copy of Desire on Super Vinyl #184 and have to say without a doubt this is really a great sounding 2x45 rpm. I have the regular vinyl 2x45 rpm and was hesitant to buy this one.
    With only 1,000 of these Super Vinyl's pressed, I'm glad I made a quick decision to buy as these sold out within hours. I will definitely keep this Super Vinyl copy and later on sell the regular vinyl. :agree:

Cassius likes this.
  12. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

I asked once and the request was ignored.

13. All retailers should have a notes section. I've never had an issue with one that did.

Myke likes this.
  14. Celticray

Celticray Forum Resident

Finally got my Desire lps today and just played it. I cant emphasize how much this and the Painted From Memory are so much better than the original MoFi's. Its all sorts of jaw dropping good.

John D., Arknine and nfmboss666 like this.
  15. GazHilarant

GazHilarant Forum Resident

I know this is super nitpicky, but I am curious... Has anyone noticed certain releases out of this collection have much smaller banners at the top of the album?

My BIABH Stereo, the blue banner is literally a quarter smaller than every other one, looks strange on the shelf.

16. theMot

theMot Forum Resident

I reckon the seam splits are because they come in a loose fitting clear sleeve. If they were shrink wrapped like most records are it wouldn’t happen.

17. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

And tightly shrink wrapping an LP can cause other effects that are technically worse - like warpage and bending. Personally seam splits don't bother me, and regardless of that - I order a lot of Mofi from Music Direct - and I can count on one hand the seam splits I receive.

I would love for all LPs to come in the loose fitting sleeve instead of being tightly shrink wrapped.

John D. likes this.
  18. farewelltransmission

farewelltransmission Forum Resident

19. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I must have 40 or 50 MoFi LPs, and have never had one with a seam split. Whether bought at a record store or bought from one of the online music retailers. Their gatefold sleeves look pretty sturdy to me. Maybe Music Matters’ sleeves are even better, but MoFi LPs are hardly “cheap.”

20. theMot

theMot Forum Resident

21. farewelltransmission

farewelltransmission Forum Resident

6 now!

Sneezyachew, dkurtis and theMot like this.
  22. Rough&Rowdy

Rough&Rowdy Forum Resident

I'm going to ask what might be a dumb question...

I have all of the hi-res Dylan albums I can find and they all sound great, but which mix was used for them? I've been reading about the remixes/remasters on ISIS and I'm a little confused. There were the 2003 SACD releases which are apparently pretty good? Then there's the mono recordings. Are the hi-res releases completely different mixes?

23. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I have so many MoFi LPs and have never seen a seam split. My local record store has a dozen or so MoFi LPs that I love to flip through and dream about buying, and I’ve never seen a seam split on any of them. In all my years of of record collecting, I can’t recall seeing a seam split on a MoFi gatefold sleeve, although I recently did run across a Classic 200 gram pressing of Led Zeppelin’s The Song Remains the Same with the exact sort of seam split that the MoFis are supposedly prone to.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  24. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I think the 2003 Dylan SACDs are just fine, but I traded in a bunch of them after replacing them with their MoFi counterparts. To me, the MoFis are definitive, and, for the early 60s albums like Freewheelin’ especially, I didn’t feel like I needed to own the 2003 stereo SACD anymore after picking up the MoFi mono SACD.

Plan9, CBackley and Rough&Rowdy like this.
  25. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Music Direct is my primary mail order vendor, and how well they pack and ship records is one of the main reasons why. I have never had the slightest complaint with how they pack anything, on the contrary, I think they do a great job in that regard.