Bob Dylan LP remasters by Mobile Fidelity starting w/Freewheelin' & Another Side...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sunsales, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I have the SACD. Not a night and day difference from the standard CD, in my opinion. There is a “surround” mix on the SACD, which I can’t play, although the original live recording was on three-track? tape, if I’m not mistaken, so I think the “surround” mix doesn’t feature much more than some crowd noise and ambience in the rear channels.

2. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

Thanks, good to know. I'll likely hold out for a decent price LP instead then, if and when...

3. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

That's a fair assessment of the SACD. Overall it sounds a bit more natural. The surround mix puts you in the concert hall, but it's, of course, nothing flashy.

Spencer R likes this.
  4. count.d

count.d Senior Member

So they reissued the Live Anthology? I only saw their statement that they amazingly found a ‘warehouse find’. If they did reissue this set, I will be looking at legal action. They sold this set to me as a limited edition. I bought two originals for investment reasons. I will make investigations into this.

5. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

You'd be suing a bankrupt and defunct corporation, Soundstage Direct. Good luck lining up behind their existing creditors. They fraudulently advertised it as a warehouse find, yes. But it was a reissue.

Spencer R likes this.
  6. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

So you live in England and are going to sue a (defunct?) American company over your damages for lost future resale value of one or two purportedly limited LP box sets? Can’t wait to hear how that goes. Before you collect your millions, please inform us which law firm agrees to take your case.

Walt and MoonPanda like this.
  7. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

:laugh: good gosh

Revolver likes this.
  8. Gabe Walters

Right. Assuming any non-speculative damages exist, they likely wouldn’t amount to the filing fee and an hour of attorney time.

9. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

10. gearyoleary

gearyoleary Well-Known Member

Totally agree with this. Whatever the source, it sounds fantastic...particularly those solo acoustic/piano demos. I’m lucky to have picked up all the bootleg series on vinyl over the years without paying crazy money. Like others here I’m deciding which MFSL ones I can live without. The price on those skyrockets here in the UK once they’re out of print! Not gonna bother with Before the Flood and Nashville Skyline seems like a very short album to be spread across 4 sides? Have they discussed doing Infidels?

11. Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. Forum Resident

Before the Flood is incredible on MFSL vinyl. It really made me appreciate the album, especially the Band's cuts.

12. gearyoleary

gearyoleary Well-Known Member

Interesting. I do like the album. I just didn’t think it would benefit that much from the MFSL treatment. Having said that I do have the rock of ages MOFI and that’s great. I should never come on this forum....I just end up justifying buying everything! :)

monomusic and Spencer R like this.
  13. Gdgray

Gdgray Forum Resident

Music Direct order delivered today ......

Planet Waves
    Mofi 33
    Did I need this ......well not really. But we are talking Bob here. Record flat and quite as we come to expect from Mofi. Rather underwhelming but I’ve been on a roll lately playing Mofi 45’s from BOB up to Desiré. It’s hard to compare IMO 45’s , they give you so much more detail and air. Consider this the end of country Bob. I like the songs just accustomed getting more from The Band , expected a little more bite in their playing.
    The Good news , Music Direct confirmed my Love and Theft order will be filled.
    What next.....Before the Flood?

Spencer R likes this.
  14. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I think the reissue is lighter vinyl, no?

15. Gabe Walters

Yes, 180 original vs 140 reissue.

16. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

That’s right. People who bought the reissue were also pissed off, as I recall, because the reissue was erroneously advertised as 180g. So the guy who bought an extra original might discover that there is still a healthy demand - most people would prefer a 180g pressing, if prices of Classic Records items are any indication.

17. Gabe Walters

I think his issue is that he bought a reissue advertised as a “warehouse find” of an original. Unless I’ve missed something.

18. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I agree that was very misleading. Probably done for legal reasons (most likely their rights had expired). I bet that if he filed a complaint with Amazon they’d take them back.

There are obviously some significant differences between the original Vol. 5 box on classic records and the recent reissue. The original was a Bernie Grundman cut, with an additional 7” single and different, more elaborate box and inserts.

Are there significant differences between the original Vol. 1-3 box and the 2017 reissue?

19. Gabe Walters

The retailer that advertised it as a warehouse find was Soundstage Direct. They listed it first, mischaracterized it, and got a bunch of orders from people (myself included) who had no idea that it was actually a reissue that was about to show up everywhere else.

20. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I remember now. Yeah, that is outright fraud, especially since they delivered 140g pressings.

21. GazHilarant

GazHilarant Forum Resident

Love and Theft 2x45 is back up on Mobile Fidelity official site.

mne563, Critter, Doctorwu and 5 others like this.
  22. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

And limited to one copy per customer.

23. teag

teag Forum Resident

Just got one - thanks for the heads up!

24. FWatty

FWatty Collector of Zuni Fetish Dolls

Awesome, thanks.

T-Rex as well.

25. FWatty

FWatty Collector of Zuni Fetish Dolls

I have a bad habit of thinking an order of $99 means free shipping at MoFi, so I grabbed T&F and threw another album in with it and quickly checked out. Then saw T-Rex and quickly did the same for a separate order. Then realized . . . "no, I saved nothing, and I just paid for shipping . . . twice."