Bob Dylan 'No Direction Home' Blu-Ray Question

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Strummergas, Jun 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member Thread Starter

Has anyone compared the blu-ray edition of "No Direction Home" to the DVD set? Is it worth upgrading if I already have the DVD at home?

Thanks in advnace!

2. I think it's worth upgrading - for all the usual reasons - better sound and picture - more film-like

Strummergas likes this.
  3. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

"Martin Scorsese‘s massive Bob Dylan documentary, No Direction Home, will celebrate its 10th anniversary with a new box set featuring over two hours of never-before-seen interviews and footage.

The new set will include extended interviews with Dave van Ronk and Liam Clancy, plus an interview with Scorsese about the making of the film. Among the other bonus features are the unedited “Apothecary Scene” from Dylan’s 1966 U.K. tour, an unused promotional spot for “Positively 4th St.” and the fabled clip of Dylan playing “I Can’t Leave Her Behind” in a hotel room in Glasgow in 1966."

Old a modest amount of unseen Dylan for the added bonus features not on the old DVD.

4. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

I just scored this bluray for about $12 (and there were some more at about $15) at ebay. I compared some of the live 1966 clips, and yes the bluray is better. Sharper and more detail. It isn't leaps and bounds better, but I'll take it. For instance, watching the dvd - a wide stage shot was pretty dark. On the bluray it looked brighter and I could read text on an instrument crate on stage.

The extras aren't numerous, but that full "apothocary" scene is priceless and reveals Bob's day-to-day antics to be a little more awkward than the edited clips show.

The sound was a bit more full as well, mind you I have a basic TV and no extra stereo hookups.

budwhite likes this.
  5. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

It's okay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.