Bob Dylan: Oh Mercy Mobile Fidelity vinyl + SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joey_Corleone, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Just received a shipping notice from Music Direct for the SACD.

2. JudasPriest

JudasPriest Forum Resident

Anyone receive their copy yet? Hoping to have mine by end of week

3. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Hard to believe this album is 30 years old now. Just pulled the SACD out of the Sony box set and gave it spin, listening thru headphones and a tube amp. Damn, this one sounds pretty sweet.
    I would be very curious to hear a comparison between the MOFI and this one, not willing to spring for the new SACD but looking forward to the 2x 45 rpm vinyl. :D

4. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

No. I cancelled my order with MD after four days of no shipping. I was gonna preorder it elsewhere.

George P likes this.
  5. George P

George P Notable Member

Same here.

6. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Usually they aren't so bad.

7. George P

George P Notable Member

Yeah, I agree.

8. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

:righton: It is on the way through the snow.

9. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Don’t they have a store in Chicago?

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  10. Lonson

Every time I've compared the MFSL to the Sony it's no contest, I prefer the MFSL. Not likely to even compare now.

11. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Yes.

12. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Before I spring for this one, I want to know what MFSL used as a source.
    This was originally a 44.1/16 master as I understand it. For all that the original recording was analog.

13. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

This is not a multichannel release, correct?

Would be an instant purchase if so.

14. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Correct. It's stereo.

Mooserfan likes this.
  15. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

Maybe one day. I think it could be killer. The album might get a Bootleg series examination, but I doubt it would have a 5.1 mix. I hope I’m wrong.

16. Richardness

Richardness Active Member

my first copy of this great album I got for 10 bucks at princeton record exchanges years ago! it sounded amazing! but just the other week ii found a uk pressing all sealed for 5gbp in Liverpool so of course had it quick as! Last night i was deciding if i should get the remaster on columbia just to see what difference it had on my versions...then ii found this thread and thought...oh MFSL 45rpm! gotta get that! so I've just done my pre-order! can't wait to hear it now! i will report back once I've played it thru...

17. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Gor blimey ! Just found out what's happened. Ordered immediately (SACD) from wowhd.co.uk. Any Bob on MOFI is a no brainer.

Looks like it ships in Europe on 18th.

18. Lonson

My SACD copy arrived today. Listening will happen tomorrow.

Joti Cover likes this.
  19. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

How great. Really looking forward to your impressions when you get around to it....mine comes in a few days.

20. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

I so agree....MoFi really know equalize Dylan’s recordings among other skills.

21. Lonson

I'm listening to the SACD now. I have to say I think it sounds excellent.

Here's my history and holdings of this title. . . .I bought the LP around the time of release. Played it a lot at first, soon abandoned vinyl playback for what I thought would be a temporary period, and it was, but it was a LOOOOOONG period. Had what I imagine is the first cd release. Gave that away when I got the Sony SACD. Bought the Complete Album Collection and really dug the re-mastered cd in there. I began buying all the MFSL SACDs released and that led me to discovering the Blu-Spec CD2 versions from Sony that weren't out from MFSL, which led me to selling the Complete Album Collection box. I love the Blu-Spec CD2 of this title, which features the remix, and that remix and the sound reinforces the Lanois-ishness" of this production. I don't think I gave away the Sony SACD, but I don't think I've played it more than twice since I heard the remastered-remix cd and the Blu-Spec CD2.

This new SACD edition I believe features the original mix and I have no complaints about the sound. A think a fan of the album looking for a definitive digital disc version would be as happy listening to it as I am at the moment.

22. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Who mastered the MFSL SACD? I don't think this album was ever remixed.

Plan9 likes this.
  23. JudasPriest

JudasPriest Forum Resident

Mine arrived yesterday .To my ears, it's an improvement over the Sony SACD .The differences appear very subtle at first but become more noticeable with each listen. It's a more rewarding experience when played through as an album rather than pointing to any specific moment or track but in general terms it's quieter, smoother, softer and a tad more natural sounding. Not that I found the Sony harsh or shrill at all (I thoroughly enjoyed it) but this to my ears improves on it, particularly when you let it properly seep into your ears. Just don't expect a miraculous, game changing transformation - but it is an improvement of an already excellent sounding SACD and is my new go-to version of this superb album .

24. Lonson

I have found no information on the packaging about the engineering of this SACD. I'll let others speak to the remixing, I may be mistaken, I will say the Blu-Spec CD2 sounds like an improvement to me to what I heard before, enough that I thought it as an improved mix.

Joti Cover likes this.
  25. tipunch

tipunch Forum Resident

For me, the best is the hdtracks,
    then the Sony SACD,
    then the CD.
    I have no heard the MFSL...