Bob Dylan: Oh Mercy Mobile Fidelity vinyl + SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joey_Corleone, Nov 23, 2017.

1. JudasPriest

JudasPriest Forum Resident

Which MFSL Dylan remasters sound a bit "EQ"d" to you Joey?

2. JudasPriest

BOTT, Blonde on Blonde and now Oh Mercy are the most pleasing to my ears.

3. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

I'm in for the 45rpm Vinly of this release. The SACD sounds fantastic. I played it twice this eveninf and it was sonic pleasure.

Tom34772 likes this.
  4. MEMark

MEMark Forum Resident

I think this question gets asked a lot in SACD-related posts, so apologies in advance if I'm missing something, but: Are you guys commenting on the redbook layer of this Oh Mercy MOFI release? Not having an SACD player, I am curious if the redbook layer is significantly better than the original CD version from 1989. Thanks much!

5. htom

htom Senior Member

The original Columbia SACD had an anomaly where the opening guitar drone of "Most of the Time" fades in on the cd layer and begins at full volume on the SACD layer. I'm pretty sure the original CD uses a fade-in. How does the song begin on this new disc?

6. JudasPriest

Have only listened to the SACD layer of the Mofi but it's a fade-in on that version .

7. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I ordered mine the 4th. It was shown as label created on the 5th. It is the 15th and it has made its way to the post office.

8. River Flow

River Flow Forum Resident

I had made the EQ'd comment...

I think the MFSL Dylan "house sound," along with deepening the sound, takes away the harshness and smooths out the highs, but that makes it sound like there's a slight bit of a veil to me at times. I suppose my biggest complaint along those lines is that there doesn't seem to be as much air, they don't "breathe" as well as the 2003 Sony remasters. Off the top of my head, the BIABH stereo, Blonde On Blonde, Nashville Skyline, and especially Blood On The Tracks (which I've since disregarded for the recent More Blood More Tracks masters) sound like that to me. The BIABH mono sounds far from natural, seems a bit too smooth up top and also a bit too bassy at times. JWH mono sounds similar. Interestingly, the Highway 61 stereo and JWH stereo, though far from natural-sounding, have grown on me as the MFSL signature seems to nicely balance out the harsh and thin original masters as reflected on the 2003 Sony remasters.

Anyway, again, Oh Mercy sounds very nice, natural, and unforced. Doesn't sound digital. Love And Theft sounds great too, but I think Oh Mercy got done even better.

9. teag

teag Forum Resident

Please post your system on the information page.

10. River Flow

Just did so right now... I'm listening through B&W wireless headphones, nothing too high-end.

11. JudasPriest

Interesting, thanks . I generally prefer the Mofi's to their Sony equivalents .To my ears, BOTT, BoB and Oh Mercy are the best and are an essential part of my music collection. Come to think of it, one of the strengths of their BOTT for me is that sense of air and space to breathe . All subjective of course .

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  12. JudasPriest

I haven't heard the Mofi H61 but do have the old DCC master which is delicious .

13. River Flow

If you love Highway 61 (for me, it's probably my favorite album period), I'd consider grabbing a copy of the MFSL before it goes out of print, if you're curious about an alternative. I think it has some of the sharpness and aggression from that bright 2003 Sony remaster, paired with a little warmth and depth from MFSL that helps balance it all out in its own weird way. Does not have a natural or analog sound like that timeless DCC has, but again, it's an alternative. Kind of sounds like a more modern master, for good and for bad.

Yes, it's all subjective though, as what I'm hearing on some of these MFSL releases (like BOTT, etc) is also clearly different from what many others are finding.

14. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Has anyone compared the new MFSL SACD to the original CD yet?

Mooserfan and George P like this.
  15. Lars1966

Lars1966 Forum Resident

"Gor blimey!" is of course US English "Oh Mercy!" translated to Cockney English (literally "God blind me!")

16. JudasPriest

No - haven't heard the original in years ..the MFSL version continues to please my ear canals tho. As I said, subtle improvements over the very good Sony SACD but enough to make the overall listening experience that bit more immersive .

17. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

I only have the original so I’d very much like to know, too.

George P likes this.
  18. George P

George P Notable Member

Same here.

Bump for this question:

19. George P

George P Notable Member

I just compared a few tracks from the redbook layer of the MFSL to the original CD.

For sure, Calbi did a nice job with the original mastering, but the MFSL is better. Compared to the original CD, the redbook layer of the MFSL SACD is smoother overall, with more on the bottom and less on top. This results in a warm, analog sound.

Recommended.

20. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Thanks, I'll pick it up then.

George P likes this.
  21. George P

George P Notable Member

Acoustic sounds has it for 10% off. I think that's the cheapest price I saw online.

22. Casagrande

Casagrande Forum Resident

I'm not as enamoured of this album as some, but the Mofi remaster sounds terrific. Great detail.

23. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Forum Resident

my mfsl cd came yesterday.
    I buy my new cd's ,when I can, by my local music shop.
    I want to support that before they all got out of business
    I have number 000994 so this one is not out of print for a long time, I guess.

I have listened to it four times and I'm very pleased with the full anolog sound.
    Very natural and open too.
    This evening I will compare it to the original cd and the red book layer of the SACD

Mooserfan likes this.
  24. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Oh Mercy (Strictly Limited to 3,000, Numbered Hybrid SACD)

25. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Forum Resident

Yes your right, but I mean if someone will buy the album, he or she has not to be afraid it has sold out in the near future because it is a slow seller.