Bob Dylan - On a Night Like This

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Expectant One, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Expectant One

Expectant One Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I'm listening to the Bootleg version of "On a Night Like This", which might be identical to the album version (I haven't heard the album it's from, and right now I don't even remember the name, haha), and I'm completely loving it! I've always kinda liked it, but tonight it just totally clicked. The accordion and the drums coupled with Dylan's enthusiastic vocals and lyrics make for perhaps his OTT happiest song. Not that the competition is too strong. :D I've always viewed the "New Morning" album as an uplifting and happy record, but this tops anything on that record. It's so nice to hear Dylan not being pessimistic, or life-worn, or all his other standard moods, just once in a while. Anyway, the main thing I want to do is shout out how much I love the song. Hopefully I'm not alone! :)

2. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

I just took out my copy of Planet Waves a couple of hours ago & have been listening to it over & over again. I enjoy that track quite a bit as well. : )

3. Expectant One

Ah, Planet Waves, of course. I've yet to listen to it. By the way, I wrote Bootleg version, but I meant the Biograph version. Sorry about that.

4. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

Planet Waves is a helluva gem of an album. Highly recommend it.

I should mention, though, that I'm at a point now where my favourite Dylan album is whatever album I'm listening to.

5. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

You had me intrigued that there might be an alternate version circulating that I'd not heard! Oh well...

6. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

One of my favorite tracks on "Planet Waves," and a great album opener.

7. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Great little tune, and the highlight of the LP for me.

As "On a Night..." was making its brief crawl up the charts, Columbia's competing single was his abomination of "A Fool Such As I." At 11, I thought there must be two Bob Dylans, because the singers on the two records sounded nothing alike.

8. Expectant One

Haha. After being a fan for about 4 years, I am beginning to tire a little of some of his biggest songs, but mostly I dig any album of his I put on.

9. Expectant One

I blame yesterday's consumption of red wine! :goodie:

It's good to see a few of you agree with me, by the way, such a cool song. :)

10. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

My copy of the 'On A Night Like This' single is on the Island label. Looks strange seeing a Dylan release on Island! WIP 6188: 'On A Night Like This' / 'Forever Young'

11. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Absolutely!! :thumbsup:

12. handydandy

handydandy New Member

13. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

PLANET WAVES is a favorite of mine. The first Dylan album of all-new material I got when I was 14 years old in January 1974. The SACD reigns supreme at my house!

14. Great track from a great album.:righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.