BOB DYLAN: Outtakes, Alternates & Live Recordings, 1965-1966

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HominyRhodes, Jun 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. HominyRhodes

I nominate this as a Tell Me Momma forerunner:
    THE BLACK WIDOW - LINK WRAY and the RAYMEN

3. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Glad to see this continue. Just don't skimp on tracks like Jet Pilot, Crawl Out Your Window, or I Wanna Be Your Lover (please).

Paperback Writer likes this.
  4. HominyRhodes

They had a gun to my head...:help:

If anyone would know about a deep mine, it's you, but I've been listening to mid-'60s Dylan for a long time, so we'll see what happens.

The link is great, give my regards to "that guy." The Hollywood Bowl tracks are exactly the kind of material that seem to get lost in the shuffle around here. One real problem I foresee is the fact that YouTube has taken down a lot of the "rarities" recently, and Gr**veshark is gone, so it might be difficult for everyone to actually hear some of the music.

Thanks for the "warning" and thanks once more for the Basement Tapes thread -- by far one of THE most successful and popular attractions that I've ever seen around here.

5. HominyRhodes

Check and double-check.:)

6. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I'm not so up on what was officially released or not (I'm excluding Biograph because I'm wondering if there are alternates worthy of a listen), but If You Gotta Go, Go Now is another one. I absolutely love the '65 oddities.

7. alchemy and HominyRhodes like this.
  8. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

My favorite outtake, soaked in "Bob Dylan 1965-66" magic,
    yet has no lyrics is "Number One" from a NYC January 27, 1966 Session.

That's Bob with Robbie/Rick/Richard from The Band;
    plus Al Kooper on organ with Bobby Gregg on drums.

This Studio Band really twists and turns and would compel any lyricist
    up a mountain that would be difficult to come down from. I'm not even
    sure what Bob plays instrumentally on the track, or how much input he
    had. It sounds fairly thought-out. Perhaps it's a musical cousin to
    another track that I'm not adept enough to relate it to.

Favorite moment: at (2:11) when the breakdown happens
    and the riff comes back triumphant.

9. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

The full band version of She's Your Lover Now is brilliant. I wonder if the session reels survive with a last verse that could be edited onto the take that breaks down ?
    I hope that Jeff Rosen (or whoever's responsible) continues with the copyright extension sets. I'd like to nominate the complete 1966 World Tour tapes and Pennebaker's footage for 2016 release to complement all the Blonde On Blonde session tapes.

Paul W, ReadySteady, funknik and 4 others like this.
  10. Suggestion to Bob and company:

Get all the singles, out-takes, alternatives tracks, un-released tracks and live cuts from the Blonde On Blonde era , pre and post - and get a box and a regular print size booklet that's readable to go with it, put a few pics together - wrap it with a bow and get it out to us in time for Holiday 2015 release on Nov 1st.

Love this stuff!

11. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

You mean like ....

[​IMG]

12. HominyRhodes

Wiseguy!

If Dylan/Sony had put that out years ago, this thread wouldn't be necessary.

13. HominyRhodes

While fine-tuning a list of songs for this thread, I've broken them down into these five categories. See what you think:

BOB DYLAN: 1965-1966
    1. SINGLES/NON-LP TRACKS/RELEASED RARITIES

(i.e, If You Gotta Go/Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues live '66, etc.)

2. STUDIO OUTTAKES & ALTERNATE TAKES, Jan. 1965 - March 1966
    (sessions for Bringing It All Back Home/Highway 61 Revisited/Blonde on Blonde)

3. AUTHORIZED CONCERT RECORDINGS (full/partial)
    (soundboard/film soundtracks/radio & TV broadcasts/acetate discs, etc.)

4. RARE/UNIQUE "UNOFFICIAL" CONCERT RECORDINGS
    (selected list, from audience tapes, i.e. Long Distance Operator, "Freeze Out," Positively 4th Street, etc.)

5. INFORMAL RECORDINGS/SELECTED FILM SCENES
    (i.e. Don' Look Back/Denver Hotel '66/Eat the Document, etc.)

Paperback Writer likes this.
  14. HominyRhodes

Agree on all counts.

Here's what Sean Wilentz heard on the She's Your Lover Now tapes, full of Bob's cussin':
    Dylan became frustrated and angry at the next Blonde on Blonde date, held three weeks into the new year during an extended break from touring. In nine hours of recording, through nineteen listed takes, only one song was attempted, for which Dylan supplied the instantly improvised title, “Just a Little Glass of Water.” Eventually renamed “She’s Your Lover Now,” it’s a lengthy, cinematic vignette of a hurt, confused man lashing out at his ex-girlfriend and her new lover. Nobody expected it would be recorded easily. (Dylan’s manager, Albert Grossman, interjects on the tape, just before the recording starts, that there is a supply of “raw meat for everybody in the band.”) The first take rolls at a stately pace, but Dylan is restless and the day has just begun.

On successive takes, the tempo speeds, then slows a bit, then speeds up again. Dylan tries singing a line in each verse accompanied only by Garth Hudson’s organ, shifting the song’s dynamics, but the idea survives for only two takes. After some false starts, Dylan exclaims, “It’s not right…it’s not right,” and soon he despairs, “No, f*** it, I’m losing the whole f***ing song.” He again changes tempos and fiddles with some chords and periodically scolds himself as well as the band: “I don’t give a f*** if it’s good or not, just play it together…you don’t have to play anything fancy or nothing, just…just together.” A strong, nearly complete version ensues, but Dylan flubs the last verse. “I can’t hear the song anymore,” he finally confesses. He wants the song back, so he plays it alone, slowly, on his tack piano, and nails every verse. He reacts to his own performance with a little “huh” that could have been registering puzzlement or rediscovery. But Dylan would end up discarding “She’s Your Lover Now,” just as he would abandon a later, interesting take of an older song, “I’ll Keep It with Mine.”

That solo version is very stark and intense, and when it came finally came into circulation from an acetate, we finally got to hear all of the verses!

15. HominyRhodes

Great post, thanks for bringing this track to the table. I always thought it sounded something like a cross between Positively 4th Street and One of Us Must Know.

Perfect description: "...soaked in 'Bob Dylan 1965-66' magic"

16. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

The case could be made (it certainly was by the compiler of "Jewels and Binoculars") that 1966 interviews, press conferences and spoken radio appearances were all "performances". They certainly weren't what the average person would define an interview as - the honest, usually amicable, exchange of valid, useful information. :) The Bob Fass appearance in particular goes a long way in aligning the razor-tongued narrator of the songs with the cool but absolute jerk that the Bob Dylan persona was in 1966.

17. owsley

owsley Senior Member

Information I have on this track claims it was recorded on October 5,1965 with 'unknown' musicians but it certainly sounds like the Band (minus Levon Helm). Dunno about Al Kooper's involvement. That organ sounds like Manuel to me. As to the track it's my favorite unreleased Dylan track. This almost sounds like 'Good Vibrations' with its different sections and key changes. It is an incredibly 'advanced' and ornate arrangement for its time and way ahead of what anyone else was doing save for perhaps Brian Wilson's Beach Boy '65 singles. And the performance is super tight which suggests a lot of rehearsal before recording (I only count one bass flub at the end).
    Unanswered questions are: who wrote it , was there ever a melody completed, was it even copyrighted? If Dylan wrote this entire masterpiece himself in '65, he was truly light years ahead of everyone else during his brief 'pop star' period including the Fabs. I can only hope this track gets an official release someday.

18. HominyRhodes

Non-musical in nature, but "performances," absolutely, and the Fass radio talk show appearance is a great example. Less than a year earlier, in March 1965, Dylan seemed more "helpful" in this interview ("You dig?"), which I only just discovered through a link here on the SH Forums. I don't recall seeing it before.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/dylan-interview-from-1965.415189/

19. HominyRhodes

Does anyone have additions to this preliminary list?

1. NON-LP TRACKS/RELEASED RARITIES (1965-1967)

IF YOU GOTTA GO, GO NOW (mono 45)
    - recorded 1/65, overdubbed 5/65, rel'd 1967, Europe only

POSITIVELY 4TH STREET (mono 45 @ 3:56)
    - rel'd 1967 in STEREO on Greatest Hits (U.S.), 1971 on More Greatest Hits (U.K.)
    - 4:12 "long mix" rel'd on Disco Teen '66 LP + Steve Hoffman remaster of Greatest Hits in 2012

CAN YOU PLEASE CRAWL OUT YOUR WINDOW (I, "slow" ver.) (mono 45)
    -"mistake" release, on a few copies of Positively 4th Street

CAN YOU PLEASE CRAWL OUT YOUR WINDOW (II, "fast" ver.) (mono 45)
    - rel'd 1978 on Masterpieces, 1985 on Biograph

JUST LIKE TOM THUMB'S BLUES
    , live in Liverpool, 1966 (mono 45, B-side of I Want You)
    - rel'd 1978 on Masterpieces + remastered for The Band: A Musical History, rel'd 2005

MAYBEIMAMAZED likes this.
  20. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

That's just tragic. My first intro to Dylan outtakes was the original Bootleg Series 1-3. If it were possible to wear out the groove in a CD, this track would have become unplayable after a few months. I couldn't believe he could give right after a nearly perfect take. This is a powerhouse of a song and would have fit perfectly on BoB. Nothing would need to be cut. There's room on side 4 before Sad Eyed Lady.

mfp, HominyRhodes and George P like this.
  21. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

I have this compilation, which has several versions of both If You Gotta Go... and Can You Please... If we're being super completist about things!

http://jokerman.org.uk/lb/files/LBF-01344-bd-Les-Kokay-Those-Elusive-Singles.txt

HominyRhodes likes this.
  22. HominyRhodes

subtr likes this.
  23. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

I'll confess I've never heard the piano version of She's Your Lover Now before now - always wondered if there was possibility of a mash-up of the two, but it's so radically different (and wonderful in its own way) that I can't imagine there being any possibility of merging/mixing the two.

A shame, but we've still got two wonderfully diverse versions of this song.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  24. HominyRhodes

We neglected to post the released take of She's Your Lover Now:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.