Bob Dylan "Rolling Thunder Revue: The 1975 Tour Recordings" (14CD box set; 7th June 2019)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Mar 6, 2019.

1. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

It's the highlight for me too. It's ridiculously good.

Possibly because of the type of song it has echoes of the Basement Tapes era for me, also of Dylan (A Fool Such As I), the voice being closer to the latter. Also sounds like a fair few people packed in to that rehearsal if the applause at the end is anything to go by.

2. Trots

Trots Forum Resident

Yes, to me it sounds like it would fit nicely on Another Self Portrait or, even later, as one of the songs he did with GE Smith a decade+ later.

TimeandTempo and subtr like this.
  3. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

Looks like i will be staying with my amazon.uk order....amazon.com still at 79 bucks.....apparently not dipping.

mrjinks likes this.
  4. JumpinJimF

JumpinJimF Still perfecting ways of making sealing wax

Yes, the rehearsals are very good (the Seacrest rehearsal of Coffee is also on Spotify) and Easy & Slow was fun. I do think this is my favourite live period of Dylan, both him and band so I'm delighted to hear the live stuff too.

Now back to the Cricket World Cup commentary (while working of course). Shaping up to be an exciting game, although it might not be such a thing for forum members in USA...

The Bard and mark ab like this.
  5. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Yep, I dont think the amazon price will drop further.

6. TimeandTempo

TimeandTempo Forum Resident

Does Easy and Free remind anyone else of 90s Dylan more than 60/70s Dylan?

DeeThomaz likes this.
  7. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Enjoying the NPR tracks. Dylan was on fire when singing "Easy and Slow". Just when you thought youd heard every Dylan voice. His expression is really something else on that rehearsal. Looking so forward to getting this.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  8. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

It doesnt remind me of any other Dylan sound. Thats why I like it. Something different and also wonderful.

9. windfall

windfall Senior Member

"It ain't me, babe (It's HIM!)" :biglaugh:

WildHoneyPie likes this.
  10. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

"Easy and Slow" is a "6"! :)

11. JumpinJimF

JumpinJimF Still perfecting ways of making sealing wax

And quite unexpected - a ramp shot over the wicket-keeper's head in fact.

TheGoodDoctor, mark ab and RayS like this.
  12. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

The rehearsal is an early date (first rehearsal day?) and sounds like the band getting a feel for each other; Bob isn't quite revved up yet.

13. Making Waves

Making Waves Well-Known Member

"If You See Her, Say Hello" rehearsal from the sampler is a different arrangement to what's on Renaldo and Clara. That's another rehearsal missing along with "Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands". Both piano heavy recordings. Really hoping they turn up in a soundtrack release for the doc.

Dark Horse 77 likes this.
  14. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I know this is live and rehearsal, but do I detect better sound quality? Maybe just the sources are better than what weve heard on bootlegs.

The MEZ likes this.
  15. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

From Tyler Wilcox Twitter account. Surprised spines don't list "Rehearsal" or concert dates.
    [​IMG]

sassi, PADYBU, Dflow and 26 others like this.
  16. clothes line sage

clothes line sage Forum Resident

Really looking forward to this one.

I'm still a little disappointed that the live 'Abandoned Love' didn't end up on disc 14 (it is a 1975 live recording, after all) but hopefully the newly-unearthed material will more than compensate for that.

Even before hearing it, it's safe to say I could get used to moderately-priced 14-disc releases like this...

17. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Very nice. Thanks for posting that.

18. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Looks like Skittles. I’ll taste that rainbow.

19. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

After listening to the NPR stream twice, I canceled my order. Not outraged or anything, but, as I believe someone noted above, a little bit of the manic shouting delivery of many of the tunes during the proper concerts goes a long way, and I think I’ll stick with the existing 2-CD 1975 Bootleg Series for now. If this falls in price after release day, I’ll pick it up for the rehearsal material.

glewes and malcolm reynolds like this.
  20. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Did the same. Everything in this post is a big DITTO for me.

21. ccn103

ccn103 Senior Member

So wait, do you expect him to be subdued when he sings “Isis” or “Hattie Carroll?” It’s that kind of impassioned (not manic) delivery that makes this tour so special. And he doesn’t really sound manic on “Ain’t Me Babe” or “St. Augustine”
    does he?

I’d take this delivery over the often “stoned and zonked” sounding Bob we had on the 66 tour any day of the week.

22. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

I'm not finely attuned but it seems like these mixes give a more vintage 1975 feel. BS5 sounded a little too much like 2002. I hope that impression proves true.

oldjollymon likes this.
  23. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

79 bucks. No-brainer for me.
    I don't give a sh#t if I never listen to it again. (Doubtful.)

(But this approach is probably why I still have a substantial mortgage.) :sigh:

24. SPARTACUS

SPARTACUS Forum Resident

I get the delivery might not be to everyone's taste, but I'm entranced by the sampler. If even a quarter of the remaining rehearsal tracks are as compelling as the three featured, then we're in for a huge treat.

'Easy and Slow' has the same impact that hearing 'Pretty Saro' for the first time did. Hard to believe that there is still so much we've yet to hear.
    Its seems Dylan made a couple of tweaks to the original lyrics with the shoes being unbuckled rather than buckled and the sleeves being rolled up as opposed to tied up.

As for the live stuff, it's the raw energy and passion (sometimes fury) that comes through.
    Eyes welling once again for poor Hattie Carroll as he rages against the injustice of it all. "Killed by a blow, laid slain by a cane." Each word a bullet aimed at all those who turn a blind eye to injustice.
    And rooting for Magdelena of course, even though the odd's are looking slim.

Maybe it's my lack of exposure to bootlegs from '75 that adds to the excitement. Realising that there's now at least two performances of "Hattie Carroll" & "It Ain't Me Babe" from this tour that I wouldn't want to live without.

25. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

If I didn't already have BS 5 I might feel different about this. But the fact that a big chunk of the rehearsal are incomplete and the five shows are basically the same setlist with a change or two makes this a not must have on release day for me. Another strike is Joan Baez but that has been done to death in this thread already. I will probably pick it up later on down the line like I did with the 1966 set. I waited probably three years to get it. Another thing is that I just discovered Frank Zappa so the $80 for the Dylan box went to getting a bunch of his albums. I hope that all of you that do get it enjoy it.

HominyRhodes and The MEZ like this.