Bob Dylan "Rolling Thunder Revue: The 1975 Tour Recordings" (14CD box set; 7th June 2019)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

johnnyb1964 likes this.
  2. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Leave Joanie alone!

Imagine70, poolie and HominyRhodes like this.
  3. johnnyb1964

johnnyb1964 Treats please!

WOW! After listening to the NPR tracks, I may have to get on on this. It'll take some skimping and saving, but this is may be my favorite tour of all time.

DeeThomaz and SPARTACUS like this.
  4. TyroneSlothrop

TyroneSlothrop Forum Resident

I love both “manic shouty” Bob and “stoned and zonked” Bob.:D

5. WowBobWow

WowBobWow Forum Resident

Hate to be that guy, but I'm gonna say it.
    Never thought I'd see the day when I'd be disappointed by a 14 CD Dylan release.

I guess what bothers me is that we got spoiled by a string of relatively "complete" releases before it:

-Basement Tapes
    -Studio 65-66
    -Live 65-66
    -BOTT sessions

And this release?
    No When I Paint my Masterpiece from the Halloween show and R&C.
    No Abandoned Love
    No Money Blues
    No Sad-eyed Lady rehearsal
    No "high pitched" If You See Her rehearsal
    No Kaw Liga
    No House of the Rising Sun
    ...Where did Vincent Van Gogh? Well, he didn't go to this set!

I guess this box set was made for causal Dylan fans, if they exist?

6. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

Oh Goddamit. I was just settling in nicely with this one, acceptance-wise.

I hope you're happy...

bobdylansbarber likes this.
  7. false_serenity

false_serenity Forum Resident

A 14 disc box for casual fans?

My dimestore wisdom is they lost the tapes used for R&C, otherwise they would have been here with the other SIR rehearsals. They should have included a 15th disk with the full R&C film for completeness :)

By the way, I just uploaded this. Hopefully Sony doesn't swoop in on me with a copyright strike.

8. philly67

philly67 Forum Resident

I think a release of R&C even bundled with the set as it is would be an utter disaster. But a lovely multi-hour compilation of released/unreleased live performance video from R&C would be phenomenal! Maybe someday they'll rope us all in again with a bootleg series of just performance videos or something...

9. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

now

10. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

Y`know I really feel sorry for those fans who are put off getting this set for whatever reason irks them. Fair enough if whatever bothers you puts you off buying this set, which to me appears to be a fantastic release, it`s your choice.

Me? As you may have guessed I am looking forward to the RTR Box Set. I have been waiting for something like this since `Biograph` opened up the possibilities to the `Bootleg Series`. There are omissions but I prefer to celebrate the inclusions.

So, especially for @Dr. Luther's Assistant, you are not alone, I`m looking forward to the RTR Box as I`m sure are 99% of us reading this thread.

6 days to go!

Marty T, CBackley, supermd and 16 others like this.
  11. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

I would love to have the 4-hour R&C included. Not just for the concert footage. It conveys such a lot about the what the tour was like behind the scenes, the personalities involved and how Dylan influences everything that happens. I realise the film is not a documentary and that it is acting, of a kind. It also seems pretty close to the bone, especially with the love triangle (or should that be love hexagon or something?) stuff which is painful/funny/emotional to watch.

Tim

12. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

That last one is from '76!

13. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

:laugh:

(I missed an opportunity there.)

14. WildHoneyPie

WildHoneyPie Here's a autobiographical song for ya

Apparently according to one of Dylan's Tusla archivists the orginal film negative for Renaldo And Clara has been lost and is not in the Dylan archive currently so thats why it hasn't been released. They do have good quality dub prints which i assume the doc will use, apparently another reason it hasn't been released is because they dont want it to "compete" with the doc.

15. Wayfaring Stranger

Wayfaring Stranger Forum Resident

Lost?? How can anyone lose the negative of a 4hour long movie? I reckon Bob has it in a cardboard box in his garage in Malibu, along with the 1965 BBC TV concert film. It’s always a puzzle to me how that got lost/destroyed/whatever, when footage from BBC TV concerts of Joan Baez, Pete Seeger, Simon and Garfunkel and others from that same period still exists. Maybe Grossman’s contractual demands meant it was destroyed after broadcast, but it was around long enough for an edited shortened version was broadcast at a later date. Has anyone looked in Grossman’s garage lately?

Mr. Explorer and pcox80 like this.
  16. BRush

BRush Senior Member

Because of the digital age, all of the major film laboratories have closed. A lot of independent films were stored under the product company. Once a film was released, the crew goes onto another project. I worked as a film archivist. It’s very easy to lose an Original Negative. I’ve found a few. And have sent many orphans to their proper home.

bobcat, PADYBU, Mr. Explorer and 11 others like this.
  17. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

I haven't yet dipped into the NPR stream. I really want to sit back and listen to the rehearsal material in its entirety. :waiting:

Even though I'm a humongous fan of the Clancy Bros., et al, I've resisted checking out Dylan's "Easy and Slow," other than the snippet that was posted on some music retailer site a few weeks ago.

File this notion under 'What I Wish They Would've Done': a stomping waltztime RTR version of "Ol' Rosin the Bow" (Basement Tapes, via Clancy/Makem) with Scarlett's riffing fiddle and everyone in the band joining in on the refrain. I can hear it my head. :pleased:

18. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

some RC stuff was lost in a fire in Bobs property in the mid 80s

19. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

I think you’ll really enjoy the full Easy and Slow, as a BOTT super fan! :)

Taxman and HominyRhodes like this.
  20. Jimmy B.

Damn, the version of The Lonesome Death Of Hattie Carroll is INCREDIBLE!!!!!!

(on the NPR stream)

WildHoneyPie and DeeThomaz like this.
  21. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

I haven't even looked at the NPR track list, so I don't know if they've shared the Dylan-Larry Kegan duet of "Your Cheatin' Heart" (again, I've only heard a snippet of it) but I'm glad Bob saw fit to include it in the new box set, since an element of the RTR tour seems to have been nostalgia, and getting together with some old friends. I think I got this photo from our old compadre @hollowhorn (RIP):

[​IMG]
    BTW: Just found this nice tribute page to Larry K.:
    Ennyman's Territory: 32 Years Ago Today: Remembering Larry Kegan

[Full disclosure: At the risk of being repetitive, I was fortunate enough to see Larry perform Chuck Berry's "No Money Down," with Dylan on saxophone, at the Holiday Star Theatre in 1981.]

22. Jimmy B.

No,
    even as low as 79 bucks plus tax for 14 CDs, it's still a lot of money, esp. for a casual fan.

23. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

24. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

Let me try again, since I goofed up the editing. It reminds me of what I liked about Night of the Hurricane--that staccato singing ("Got killed by a blow"). Equally as good?

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  25. Trots

Trots Forum Resident

Great photo. Don't recall ever seeing it before. Thanks for posting.

HominyRhodes likes this.