Bob Dylan "Rolling Thunder Revue: The 1975 Tour Recordings" (14CD box set; 7th June 2019)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Mar 6, 2019.

1. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Now, I haven't finished the movie yet, but to me if there's a flaw in the film its that the new stuff, especially the Van Dorp stuff, is livelier and more timely than anything else in the movie. Von Haselberg's performance is a riot. But it's more a movie about our time, about fake news, about celebrity culture, about doctored social media videos and about contested truth than it is a movie about the Rolling Thunder Review, about which it offers few insights. The RTR is just kind of an excuse for the movie more than really the subject of it.

2. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Scorsese should have asked Whoopi Goldberg instead of Sharon Stone to be in the movie.

Yayastone likes this.
  3. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

Renaldo and Vanilla directed by Ron Howard.

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  4. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

The best period pieces reflect the time in which they are created.

5. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

I was wondering if that was a bit of a spoof of celebrity interviews that are always in these types of documentaries.

davenav likes this.
  6. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Wow. Is this a case of sour grapes over one documentary spilling over into a completely different documentary??

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  7. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

I believe it is.
    (Solid execution of conveying multiple disgruntlements.)

superstar19, aoxomoxoa and Quincy like this.
  8. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

Yep. But the problem is that satire on this kind of thing is tw0-a-penny. They're called mockumentaries.

9. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

The imposters spouting sophistry and fallacious arguments reflect badly
    on Dylan and Scorsese. It's a dirty trick to play on people. I think poorly
    of them for doing so.

10. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

I can't tell if you're joking or not. Are you putting us on?

budwhite, Dr. Zoom, poolie and 2 others like this.
  11. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

The Dylan & Neuwirth co-vocals had a swaggering quality to them that’s lost with Neuwirth mixed down/out. This swagger was especially appropriate for “When I Paint My Masterpiece.” The dual vocals made the whole thing feel like a round-the-world drunken sea chantey, which fit with the rest of the RTR “vibe.” By taking that away, it makes for a more pleasant & smooth listen, but robs the set of something neat that was uniquely ‘75 RTR. Mixing Neuwirth down, but not altogether out, would’ve been a good compromise, imo.

Maybe the reasons for this mixing decision weren’t only aesthetic. Many of these Dylan historical projects have had some blind spot/slight/deliberate omission - like the removal of Jack Elliott from the NDH storyline, which you’ve pointed out. Who knows what personal politics enter into these things?

The backhanded compliment from Dylan about Jack’s knot-tying abilities (as compared with his singing) seems bizarre in the new film - Jack Elliott was a major influence, after all. At least he wasn’t completely ignored this go-around. The comment from David Mansfield about how you could’ve knocked him over with a feather when he found out that Jack was really a Jewish doctor’s son from Brooklyn... well, that seemed like a tongue-in-cheek comment on the “authenticity” of a certain someone else, I think...

The Bob Neuwirth story, messy as it may be, is certainly an interesting one. Hopefully he’s written his own memoir.

12. ivor

ivor Senior Member

I was thinking the other way around, that the footage they filmed in '75 is an excuse to have fun in 2019. And/but I'm glad these old fogies still want to have fun.

Is there any deepfake video in the movie? Sorry if it's been covered, I can only keep up with 1 of every 5 pages on this thread. I thought the Nixon video was suspect, but apparently he was talking about the Bicentennial back in 1969.

13. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

I thought neuwirth looked out of place, and like he was trying too hard or something. He looks like a co lead singer on stage sometimes. I wonder how the politics of the whole thing went. Was he up there a lot?

14. And while we’re at it why did he ever pick up that electric guitar?
    I’m always totally ok with Bob (or any other artist for that matter ) telling their story or expressing their art in the way that they want to rather than the way I want them to.
    If Bob is looking for an editor or someone to make judgements on his motivations there have always been lots of people up for that job.

15. Pussycat

Pussycat (=^•.•^=)~*

Nobody will care about anything in that circumstance. I'm not sure what that proves though. We're here, now.

16. Pussycat

Pussycat (=^•.•^=)~*

Songs are frequently posted on YouTube. Granted the sound can be dicey but at least they're there. You just have to poke around.

17. It’s the frozen ice ball theory of rock criticism.

dee, notesfrom and Pussycat like this.
  18. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Where are the interviews with the Jive Talking Dudes from ‘Airplane’? They were on the tour weren’t they? I’d like to know their thoughts on Dylan...

superstar19, chervokas and keef285 like this.
  19. Hahahhahaha really ? I’m amused.

20. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

“Describe, in your own words, “The Rolling Thunder Revue”

frightwigwam and superstar19 like this.
  21. Wayfaring Stranger

Wayfaring Stranger Forum Resident

I enjoyed the “trickster” aspect of the film - so Dylanesque that I can’t believe people were surprised or upset about it - but I’m frustrated by the design of the CD box, specifically the two slip cases that have the map and the audience pic INSIDE the slot! The map appears to be of Falmouth in the UK - ho ho ho - but what else is in there? Anyone prepared to sacrifice their lovely box set and pull all the sleeves apart? Maybe one of them contains... The Key! Frank, are you reading this?

Siegmund and WildHoneyPie like this.
  22. voles

voles Forum Lurker

At present I am searching for LB-9243 - November 2nd 1975 at Lowell, Massachusetts.

All links seem to be dead - oh for the days of Hunger City and Tangled Up In Torrents :)

I imagine the 1976 concerts will be on a later issue,,,

23. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

i think the new RTR footage is the draw .... Van Gorp is kind of funny as a put on (bobs European smoking....gorps habit of eating 2 meals at once....very Dylan!) but its nothing compared to Joni writing and singing Coyote, Bob strolling the aisles troubadour style playing Ira Hayes, I think its all a revelation, Sharon Stone etc is window dressing. bob wants to make up a director so he doesn't have to talk about it....I mean he didn't go full monty and insert numerous people zelig style trying to mess with us, once we knew about bette midlers husband the cat was out of the bag

frightwigwam and oldjollymon like this.
  24. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Yes! One of the many (performance) highlights.

Smiler, The MEZ and Flaming Torch like this.
  25. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

You must have a fake box. My map appears to be Scarborough.

:D

GerryO and Siegmund like this.