Bob Dylan "Rolling Thunder Revue: The 1975 Tour Recordings" (14CD box set; 7th June 2019)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Mar 6, 2019.

1. BlindWillieMcZim

BlindWillieMcZim Forum Resident

Now you're reaching.

2. GonnaGetcha

GonnaGetcha Forum Resident

In general I do and specifically I like "Gotta Travel On" as the show closer. I see it as a nod to his experience seeing Buddy Holly in Duluth on the Winter Dance Party tour where Holly reportedly opened with this song.

New Orleans and Ft Worth are great. Heck the're all great, and worth suffering the sound quality.

3. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Few live albums do….

enro99 and poolie like this.
  4. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Found one used on eBay for $85. Seller said he opened and ripped the CDs and said it was in like new condition. Received today and is in like new condition as per seller description.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  5. Serenity Now

Serenity Now Forum Resident

Yes. I like '75 but have always preferred '76. Better singing and I really like the way Dylan leads the band with his rudimentary lead/rhythm electric guitar (Mick Ronson even doubles Dylan's lead licks on Maggies Farm).

The live '76 version of Seven Days on BS1-3 sounds like a multi-track recording, where is that from?

enro99, poolie and stewedandkeefed like this.
  6. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

I was just listening to Hard Rain today and based on that alone I would agree. Such an underrated Dylan album.

I’m still waiting for my box to arrive but I hope they do release a similar box with shows from ‘76.

The Quiet One, enro99, poolie and 2 others like this.
  7. Ian Molloy

Ian Molloy Well-Known Member

One of my favourite albums (he played the whole album on his recent tour), I know her wikipedia page says this but can't recall her being credited on the album, will have to dig it out

PJayBe and SPARTACUS like this.
  8. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks RayS. I thought it was Sara at Niagara Falls back in the Renaldo and Clara film but other friends believe in the footage in the new film it is Joan. I have not watched Renaldo in a few years now but I am sure Sara was all over the Reservation footage - I seem to recall her clapping something. I have no idea why she is not in the new film but to me it really does not matter and I would not expect any public figure to discuss there marriage or personal relationships. Like you I was a bit surprised to see the bar scene again with Joan. The bouncer that she bowled him with " you got married and didn't tell me" had Bob floundering like Vicky Pollard ( tv comedy character) with an almost "No But Yes But" response.

Bouncer - a fast shoulder/head high delivery in cricket designed to get the batsmen on the back foot.

Re complete songs I would have course like more but given it is 2019 I was surprised there were any complete songs and it was a relief that Elvis Costello in his hat did not appear to tell us what it all means.

NumberEight likes this.
  9. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Great question and I shall sit on the fence. I love both tours and they are very different in both mood, setlists and sound. Of course with 1975 we have always had better sounding tapes - both audience and professional recordings. 75 set list is fairly constant with just the Dylan/Baez and solo spots changing much.
    1976 - lots of chopping and changing of songs. Goodbye to Sara and Hurricane. I would love to see a similar box done for 76 and of course a fair bit of filming took place with the Hard Rain film and the abandoned TV Special.

Side 2 of Hard Rain is one of my favourite sides of vinyl.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    laf848, The Quiet One, enro99 and 2 others like this.
  10. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

I wonder, if you have known Bob for a long long time, and you call him on his ****, that maybe he's he doesn't lime it.

11. tyke

tyke Forum Resident

Tampa, 21 April.

Some of the performances from the Clearwater special the next day are well up there.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  12. Ian Molloy

Ian Molloy Well-Known Member

Downloaded R&C, the 3 hr 44 min version, quality is very watchable.

Dflow and NaturalD like this.
  13. yardbuzzard

yardbuzzard Forum Resident

Happy Birthday today Bobby Neuwirth !

G L Tirebiter, TeddyB and notesfrom like this.
  14. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

<eye roll>

right, and theres SO MUCH evidence to the contrary.

I cant help it if some of you fell in love with her. I didnt.

15. Walking Antique

Walking Antique Nothing is incomprehensible

I don't know if it's just the difference in the way the tapes are mixed, but Mick Ronson's guitar sounds different in 1976 that it did in 1975. In 1975 he makes heavy use of some kind of flanger or chorus -- or whatever -- effects box, throughout the whole show. In those shows the violin, slide guitar, and Ronson's guitar all occupy the same sonic space which usually works for a cool swirly, disorienting effect, but sometimes they're just fighting each other. It fatigues me about halfway through a show. I don't hear it so much in 1976, and Ronson seems to be playing a more conventional lead guitar part.

16. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

In that case... Let the man be heard:

pcox80, DeeThomaz, poolie and 4 others like this.
  17. dee

dee Senior Member

In the selection of tracks for the NPR audio stream, listening to the lead guitar drove me just a little 'effin nuts :) in an otherwise remarkable version of "Hattie Carroll" as the lead guitar sound and the playing in spots was just 'too much' for my ears. Mixed in the right channel and there were times when the whole effect of it (sound, playing) was just at odds with everything else going on in the song or performance, imo.

18. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

clausclaus, budwhite, Dflow and 27 others like this.
  19. slane

slane Forum Resident

I think the guitar effect is probably an MXR Phaser. I'm not particularly keen on the sound, or Ronson's style to be honest.

It seems like Scarlet's violin is going through a similar effect, at least some of the time.

Wasn't Ronson exluded from most of the 1976 concerts? He only gets a credit on Maggie's Farm on Hard Rain, and I think Stoner said that Dylan got 'lead-itis' in 1976 (presumably meaning he played some lead guitar himself). If that's the case though, someone borrowed Ronson's effect pedal (listen to Shelter From The Storm on Hard Rain) ;)

20. IFP

IFP Forum Resident

Adam Bosman and NumberEight like this.
  21. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

So did I! :)

HominyRhodes likes this.
  22. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

It was a great night. Scarlet is on Potency and Sad Strange Solitary Catholic Mystic.

23. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

The box finally arrived today in Washington, DC from Amazon.uk. The packaging was surprisingly flimsy and the cardboard box is really thin....luckily the product is unscathed! £47.90 delivered....i call that a bargain!

HominyRhodes and the pope ondine like this.
  24. psychtrailmix

psychtrailmix Forum Resident

Anyone have Renaldo and Clara transfer by "JTT"? This is supposedly the best quality one available. Would love the full uncompressed DVD version of this if anyone has it, please pm me? Crave more footage of this tour after watching Scorcese's RTR flick.

enro99 likes this.
  25. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

Me three -- thanks!

NumberEight likes this.