Bob Dylan "Rolling Thunder Revue: The 1975 Tour Recordings" (14CD box set; 7th June 2019)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Mar 6, 2019.

1. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Man, never type on an iphone after a 16 shift..

"influences"...not influenced..

"aspiring" painter..

lol

asdf35 likes this.
  2. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

The Rolling Thunder Revue: A Bob Dylan Story (2019)
    Documentary. 2 hours 22 minutes.
    A Martin Scorsese Picture.

Synopsis:
    Rolling Thunder Revue: A Bob Dylan Story by Martin Scorsese' captures the troubled spirit
    of America in 1975 and the joyous music that Dylan performed during the fall of that year.
    Part documentary, part concert film, part fever dream, 'Rolling Thunder' is a one of a kind
    experience, from master filmmaker Martin Scorsese. Written by Netflix.

Details: Rolling Thunder Revue: A Bob Dylan Story by Martin Scorsese (2019) - IMDb

Remember, the information uploaded to imdb is frequently revised, often wrong, and constantly changing.

It says a 4K scan of a 16mm restoration. It should look good as new, potentially better.
    (nearly all concert films were shot on 16mm in those days)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  3. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

4. Beatlebug

Beatlebug Another box set won't do any harm

Bob is on the cover of April's Record Collector magazine, due out in the next day or so. There's an article on the Rolling Thunder tour inside. Not seen it yet so don't know if the article refers to the upcoming film or box set.

Electric Sydney, RayS and DeeThomaz like this.
  5. WildHoneyPie

WildHoneyPie Here's a autobiographical song for ya

I've been listening to bits of random 1975 shows recently and I've come up with a question to further the discussion in the thread until we get more news about the boxset. What are some of your favourite RTR 1975 performances and why ?

One of my favourites at the moment is Fourth Time Around from the Augusta show. Personally I prefer the song being performed here with Bob's vocals rather than 1966.
    The performance is from 1:44:15 to 1:47:22 on this video.

6. kuddukan

kuddukan Forum Resident

Ho hum could use some news on this.

Wugged, Hep Alien, bem and 1 other person like this.
  7. granola

granola Forum Resident

Rakuten is now showing a June 7 release date for the 14 CD ‘Rolling Thunder’ Bob Dylan set in Japan ("2019年06月07日”).

http://books.rakuten.co.jp/rb/15829472/

shadow blaster and CrazyBrown like this.
  8. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

If I may prattle on a bit...

1994...at the border headed to Chihuahua and then to Diversadera to the mountains of Mexico..

Im in the midst of my Bob Dylan boot addiction and the RTR had just became the newest bliss in my musical world ...listened to very little else but Dylan for about 2 yrs...boots in those days, of course, were not always the easiest to acquire and could be expensive..so they were very prized possesions...

I had just got in a new RTR boot. We were rushed to get things together to go on the trip. And as it was my practice to make each boot I received a celebration and moment to be savored I didnt want to simply rush through the concert. I had to make a decision. Wait and leave the new Bob discs behind or risk a border search and possibly have these confiscated. Or even go to jail. I had no idea how much possible risk was involved or not involved. Would they even notice them or care? Didnt know.

I took them anyway. I had too. I wanted the companionship of a musical experience to join the journey.

And yep, the border patrol searched us. Looked at the discs, said something to each other and gave a bit of a laugh.

"Close call" I thought.

But in hindsight I think they were simply laughing at the pic of Bob in a sombrero.

I listened to the disc throughout the trip. And the performances/songs painted the landscape in a mixture of lyrical tapestry and my love of Mexico.

As I road a horse in the canyon and listened to the live version of "Romance In Durango" I imagined myself in the scene like some bandit that had left town to begin an adventure.

In the early evening I sat in a hot bathtub smoking a cigar in an isolated hotel deep in the mountains. A curtain wafted mole scents in the mexican breeze as a pretty maid gently swept the porch while Bob sang "Shelter From The Storm" on my cd walkman.

Then at sunrise one day we traveled atop a Suburban afixed with roof seats deep into the town of Batopilas. As I wore my bandana and a dirty face my gf's brother lit up a big one to round out the journey down a mellow piece of mexican heaven. This song played in my ears to my minds eye as I enjoyed the perfect time in my life: A great girlfriend, great company, peaceful and beautiful mountains and a touching performance of this song....which will always take me back to that ride down the mexican mountains near Copper Canyon...

Bob Dylan - You're A Big Girl Now (1975)

As they say..good times...good times indeed.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  9. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Well I can’t get it to embed, but here’s a photo of the box set:

Imgur

[​IMG]

10. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

If each sleeve shown there isn’t repeated and is a 2cd set, that’s at least 22 cds shown there.

11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I only see 4 CDs in that image, must be more in hiding

12. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Me too

13. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

14. bem

bem Forum Resident

I see 16. 4 cases stacked. 4 actual cds and eight spread out beneath them.

15. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Of the 4 discs shown, one appears to be a different design to the others. Rehearsal disc?

I’m assuming 22cd shown based on the amount of INNER SLEEVES shown here. I don’t by any means believe that the whole set is shown in this picture one way or another. It’s certainly NOT a 4cd set, nor probably 22cd....but it looks like the 14cd ‘guess’ is in accurate?

DeeThomaz and bem like this.
  16. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

They look like fold out mini-LP type inner sleeves, rather than the single sleeves used for the 1966 box. So 2cds per sleeve? So....who knows. Looks like more than 14 discs to me.

Box does look a bit slimmer than the 1966 one.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  17. bem

bem Forum Resident

This is exciting. I wonder what that is in the middle: a gatefold picture. I heard minimalist packaging so I was expecting something like the 1966 set with one disc per cardboard sleeve. I also like the looks of the box.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  18. bem

bem Forum Resident

Does this mean an official announcement will be made soon?

DeeThomaz likes this.
  19. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

the box doesnt look all that big and the cds themselves look to be thick with photos. looks like
    we will get more than the dylan sets.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  20. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

With my annotations:

[​IMG]

21. WildHoneyPie

To you guys does it look it look like we’re getting all of the 30 concerts here or is it hard to tell with just this image ?

22. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Hard to tell but the box looks slimmer than the 1966 one. I suppose we’ll find out soon enough.

23. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Well, the good news is we're definitely getting something.

That box looks too slim for a giant archive. I'd guess it will be the finest multi-track recordings. As Mbd77 said, one disc is not like the others. Hopefully video! Maybe rehearsals (probably). Maybe a bluray disc with enough data space to host all the audio soundboards (not likely)? Exciting stuff!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  24. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Hard to say. Might only be four discs! Time will tell.

25. WildHoneyPie

Exciting times none the less for Dylan fans regardless of how much content there is . You’ve got Scorsese’s documentary possibly releasing in May and this box is coming up either in May or June.

Guy Smiley, SteveFff and asdf35 like this.